Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Steerer is 1.5 cms below the top of steerer…will I die?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to get some comfort out of this Cube road bike of mine, and have put about 1.5 cms of extra spacers above the 3cms that are there already.

The thing is, I now seem to have the top of the stem 1.5 cms above the steerer….the pic shows it quite well.

It feels solid enough- no play at all. But I’m terrified it will kill me. Will it?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

picture fail.

neiloxford
    Free Member

New stem time

Edric64
    Free Member

Not good like that need a stem with more rise or a thinner clamping stem

neiloxford
    Free Member

steerer should be above second bolt as an absolute minimum

stumpy01

Not enough steerer in that stem…

nedrapier

Waaaaaaaay outside sensible envelope.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

“Will I Die?”

Asked so many times, and in this case: “Yeah, perhaps”

tomd
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride that. Quite often on road bike the stem has a negative rise, have you tried removing a spacer or two and flipping it over? Other wise get a new stem with a higher rise.

codybrennan
    Free Member

OK- thanks all.

I should say: I haven’t rode it like this, it was just an experiment. The stem is already flipped over so that it’s got a rise. The idea was to build up the overall height to make it a more comfortable ride, as I’ve had to get physio to sort out a neck problem on account of it 🙁

I’m thinking the frame is actually too small- despite it coming from a reputable bike shop and getting sized up by them, within a couple of weeks I started to get aches on it. Googling tells me that many Cube owners go a size up-

robarnold
    Free Member

I’d be using one of these if I were you:

Steerer extender

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks rob.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Steerer is 1.5 cms below the top of steerer…will I die?’ is closed to new replies.