Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Steerer cutting
  • matther01
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend the best way and saw to cut a steerer to size?

I assume its measure, measure again…measure once more to be sure and a small hacksaw…not a jigsaw and just guess?!

Is there a recoomended saw blade for this type of cutting?

Also, do no manufactures put cutting sizes on steerers like they do on bars for cutting?

d4
    Free Member

Superstar do a cheap and cheerful cutting guide that fits in a vice or workmate, unless you know the exact length you want cut close to it 20-30mm from where you think you want it after “dry” fitting and use spacers to play around with height, then once you are sure trim down. Normal hacksaw blade will chop through it no problem. Never seen one with cutting marks.

firestarter
    Free Member

I always use a cheap pipe cutter , but a tiny bit at a time otherwise you can flare it , quick file after easier than hacksaw I think and always good straight cut

Lbs..around a fiver…I’ve never done it when they do it so well

matther01
    Free Member

Thanks Dave – LBS might be the most sensible way me thinks…can’t even put a shelf together properly!

Conan257
    Free Member

Under a tenner for a pipe cutter at B&Q. 2 seatposts/forks etc etc and you’ve made your money back!

Northwind

Masking/electric tape around the steerer to give you a straight edge to follow. Then add cutting implement of your choice. (I karate chop mine but lesser men might use a hacksaw or similiar)

shakers
    Free Member

Hacksaw and an old stem. No worries.

andyruss
    Free Member

Pipe cutter ,standard hacksaw and a file. 5 mine job . Follow instructions of youtube

jp-t853

Hacksaw. If you are using spacers it is easy put the stem on first, tighten it in place and then spacers above. Put one less spacer than you need and the spacer acts as a guide for the cut so you get an even finish. The spacer will get some abrasion but you can turn it over and put it in the middle.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did just this on Saturday. Measure the old steerer if you’re just replacing otherwise pre-assemble and measure and check THRICE!
    Then use pipe cutter very gradually tighten the blade until the steerer end drops off. Then gently file a slight angle on the end of the steerer and you’re done.
    Take your time, check, carefully and don’t rush it.

druidh
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t measure to the bottom of the stem and cut there.
    Seriously – I know someone that did.

I just use an old stem and a hacksaw. Finish off with a half-round file. At the end of the day, it doesn’t have to be perfectly straight.

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh and don’t forget to allow for a vbrake hanger when measuring, I know someone that did that too.

And I had to buy new forks. Red face 🙁

mark90
    Free Member

Hacksaw and an old stem. No worries.

This. Fine toothed blade, and finish with a file.

granny_ring

Got one of those Icetools cutting guide. Done 4 or 5 forks so it’s paid for itself alredy. Finish off with a file.

leffeboy

Seriously – I know someone that did.

🙂

I’ve used cheap pipe cutters before but find they tend to wander on a pipe that big. it’s hacksaw and spacers these days and it works fine

flowerman
    Free Member

I tried to use a junior hacksaw but gave up, so I used an angle grinder. It worked well and I got a really clean cut. Then I just filed down the burs. Will use a pipe cutter next time tho.

leffeboy

I tried to use a junior hacksaw but gave up, so I used an angle grinder

There are options in between those two extremes 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pipe cutter and file but if the LBS is £5 then go there.

ads678

Did thid for the first time the other day. Fitted the fork with stem and spacers i inentded to use. The marked where i needed to cut. Took out the fork and fitted an old crappy stem to use as a straight edge. Cut using a junior hacksaw. Cleaned the inside of the steerer and fitted a star nut, pushing it using a hope head doctor and a rubber mallet!!!

shortcut

Ice tools cutting guide here. Easy and straight cuts!

ska-49
    Free Member

Whats wrong with an angle grinder? Takes 2 seconds.

shifter
    Free Member

Cutting guide and star-nut setting tool here, paid for itself many moons ago. Bear in mind you might want to adjust your stem position, so leave yourself some spare. Also, longer steerers are easier to sell on.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cutting guide is the best way to do it – gets it dead straight and less cleanup.

ransos
    Free Member

Whats wrong with an angle grinder? Takes 2 seconds.

A hacksaw works perfectly well and costs about £5.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Steerer cutting’ is closed to new replies.