Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Steepest climbs in Edinburgh – Roadie content
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

thanks druid, thought that might be the case.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Big up for the Bathgate Alps, quite a few routes on Bikely just search for Bathgate Alps and a few come up. On the West Lothian Clarion website they have Categories for the climbs, I personally think they are a bit off, but hey what do I know!
    Used to enjoy the road from Winchburgh to Beecraigs as a climb pretty steady at the start but the final bit is like a wall, be warned.
    Reminds me I should really get back out on a bike but I have a Channel swim this year to train for.

Northwind

tpbiker – Member

Northwind – Poets Glen? Don’t know it. Is that left as you approach bend at top of road? Is it easy to find?

Yup and yup- turn left as you reach the top onto Harlaw Road, after a while it goes past a farm on the left, down a wee hill over a bridge, just after that look on your left- there’s a green signpost though it can be overgrown. Dead easy to find. If you run out of tarmac you have gone too far. Nice wee descent, swoopy at the top then rocky at the bottom

At the bottom, turn left again on Blinkbonny Rd, along to the end past the cemetary, and then back up the ******* ******* kirkgate.

But don’t do this on a road bike.

robgarrioch

Just for discussions sake, seeing we’ve strayed off the ‘roadie’ condition.. some previous on the more challenging offering up in’t hills here.
    For when it’s dry again, obviously.

tpbiker
    Free Member

rob, I go up the pentlands quite a bit, but don’t know where any of that is. I basically tootle round the recognised loop. Last time I ventured further afield I ended up getting lost in a overgrown field…the path just disappeared!

stanfree
    Free Member

Cant really add much If anything to what has been mentioned. Biggest climbs I have done are Redstonne Rigg at the Lammies then carry on and turn left and follow road past Whiteadder and Cranshaws over the bridge then turn right up a steep climb to Longformarcus and climb and drop back to redstone rigg. Also Witchy Knowe in the Borders and the climb up and over the Garltons to Haddington which is easily accessed from the Coast road at Gullane.
    Im trying to get some training in for a trip to Applecross and Beleach Na Ba.

druidh
    Free Member

tpbiker – dropping me an email would be to your advantage

stanfree
    Free Member

Just remembered closer to Edinburgh climb from Dalkieth up over Whitehill (househusband’s old manor)and back down to Edgehead.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Redstone Rigg is the climb in the Lammermuirs I couldn’t remember.

Kunstler

I’ve not been up Drum Brae, probably because it’s not been part of a route between places for me but I have used Clermiston Road a fair bit and was surprised that hadn’t been mentioned. It’s a good ‘un.

Kirkgate was the first hill I rode on a singlespeed. Work that day was in Broxburn and I’d biked out along the canal from Edinburgh. I was feeling a bit silly spinning out on flat towpath so I thought to really get what singlespeed was about I should find some hills. It was a of a crunch but a good challenge.

stanfree
    Free Member

Redstone Rigg is the climb in the Lammermuirs I couldn’t remember.

I went up over Redstone Rigg today , It dosent get any easier.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Steepest climbs in Edinburgh – Roadie content’ is closed to new replies.