Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Steel Vs Aluminium Vs Carbon
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yup it's that time of day again, go forth and ague………..

On a serious note, theres a sanderson life frame sat in my garrage doing nothing.

On the Swinley ride the other weekend one of the guys had a kinesis maxlite pro 3 (or re-arange those to make a model name for an alloy hardtail with carbon stays). Since I sold my Cannondale hardtail I've been lusting after a lightweight aluminium hardtail for less 'core duties and whenever I think about building up the Sanderson I end up thinking back to the Cannondale it's intended to replace and thinking I'd prefer a lightweight and stiff aluminium bike over the steel one.

So STW oracle, should I sell the sanderson frame and get something lighter/stiffer/racier?

Budget, when I get arround to doing a shed clearance:
    £200 from the Sanderson
    £150 from the ETS-x frame
    £45 from selling some on one rigid forks
    £40 from some juicy 3's
    £50 x2 for some hayes 9's
    £80 sram x.9 shifters and mech
    £80 DMR switchback frame
    ~£100 Clearing out the rest of the stuff

So plenty of scope for a nice frame and forks, what should I get. Quite fancy the kinesis and some rigid carbon forks? Or maybe the cheeper kinesis or a Scandal and some SID's. Or maybe the pedalforce hardtail frame…….

Or maybe I should just keep the Sanderson and on-one rigids and to hell with the extra >3lb they'll add.

sssimon
    Free Member

OT but what size is the switchback?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

18" (they are slightly shorter than the equivalent 456/inbred though, so depends on your leg/torso, I've got stubby legs and a long body so swaped for a 456)

EDIT: wasnt intedned as a plug for an upcoming bike sale, was just having a brain fart over how much i had to spend.

sssimon
    Free Member

send me some details, after one for a frame chop for a mate

nathaneddy
    Free Member

Guess it depends what kind of trails you want to ride. I was lusting after a Giant XTC alliance with carbon stays, but I think in the end a steel frame like a Sanderson is what I'll go for. In my book it's better for the rocky, jouncy Peak District trails I ride. My alu XTC is too harsh for it, in my opinion.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Steel Vs Aluminium Vs Carbon’ is closed to new replies.