Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • steel uk hardtails…whos got what?
  • sefton
    Free Member

looking for a fun bike for rides in the lakes and up north. some of the newer uk steel hard tails have caught my attension. pace rc127, stif morf, cotic bfe etc.

curently ride a caad f29 (full on xc race bike)

not into riding crazy stuff but looking for something a little more fun than the caad.

was thinking 130ish forks, wide bars, big volume tubless rubber, dropper post.

anyone riding one of these? any comments, pics would be great.

might try to build up withused parts to keep the price close to £1500 (ideally under)

robz400
    Free Member

Stif Morf here. Ride most days and haven’t touched my orange five in months.

its bright yellow, climbs well, descends amazingly and in 3 months, many crashes and far to few washes it hasn’t missed a beat

Love it

nach
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a Morf since July. I’ve found it more fun than the new Bfe (one ride on a demo day) or my old Blue Pig Mk 2 (three years of riding) – shorter forks feel more suited to this kind of bike. Stif have sold out of most sizes of the frame now though.

rOcKeTdOg

Designed in the UK or made in the UK?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cotic BFe, ride it 90% of the time xc to “dh” trails

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Here it is again…Trusty Rusty…Triggers brush, handbrazed in County Durham in 1990 & still going strong. (well 2 of the frametubes are anyway)

vincienup
    Free Member

Um, I’m running a Soul275 and A freshly built Solaris.

Soul is a two year old build now and 2×10 with 140 Revs, dropper, Flow EXs on Pro2Evos with a Dampf/Nic combo.

Solaris is running modified Rebas (moco and 120), dropper, 1×11 GX/X1 with Turbine Cinch and AB oval 32t, Frequency i25’s on Pro2Evos and a Vigilante at each end cos it’s winter

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa is a good all rounder. Very capable bike and the 2nd gen ones have enough clearance for 27.5 plus tyres if that floats your boat.

colournoise

Had a BFe for a few years now. Mostly superceded now by the Rocket, but before I went FS it got ridden everywhere – local little round the woods, trail centres, Peak, Lakes, Wales, Fort William red. Hugely capable bike if a bit physically punishing on long, rough rides.

ajantom

Not uk, but uk friendly, what about a Surly Instigator mk2. You can get a full bike for about £1400 (was £2200 last year). Proper bargain and a very nice bike with a good spec.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got a 26″ BFe that got used for all sorts of stuff until a few weeks ago. It’s built up SS rigid now.

breadcrumb

Cotic Solaris- 120 Pikes, Reverb, i23 rims, Nukeproof bars, 2.4f/2.25r tyres, SLX/XT drivetrain.

Does me well round the Lakes.

batman11
    Free Member

2016 orange crush here great bike but I am thinking of changing it sometime this year my be for a BTR ranger in 29er flavour.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

MK1 Dialled Bikes PA. 26″ wheels, 2002 Z1 Bombers, 2×9 XT (BB is 10 years old and still going strong) was a great and capable bike when I bought it and it still is.

core

Just swapping my Scandal for a Solaris mk2, will have 100mm rebas for now, 2×10 mix of XT & SLX, dropper when I want without remote.

Also looking for a little bfe for fun.

rOcKeTdOg

timmys

Stanton Slackline

This is the old 26″ version but you get the idea…

markrh
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa here run with 29″ wheels, very happy with it.

superfli
    Free Member

Got a switchback mk1 with 150mm sweeps, feels and rides fantastic! I used to have a mk2 soul with 130/32mm forks, good for the trails and xc, but this switchback blows it away when hooning about on my local trails! It’s as comfy, but a lot slacker and the 34mm forks make it a lot more solid up front.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

TBH the British designed stuff has for the most part seen exorbitant price hikes lately, brand building malarkey I’m ooooout.

Ragley latest RRP’s you’re aving a giraffe mate Stanton same. Too close to full sus frames in sales, way above aluminium frames with similar geometry that are lighter and haven’t seen anywhere near the same price hikes over the same period.

The price of a resurgence in popularity I suppose.

BFe

Pros
    – Relatively light
    – Strong
    – Looks good
    – Good quality.

Cons
    – As harsh as cheap aluminium (you really feel it on sustained rocky trails)
    – Compromised handling at maximum travel heights (not bad at the travel height you want though).

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I have an Onza Payoff (29er in copper) and it’s pretty good. Only ‘fault’ with it is the 27.2 seatpost so droppers are a bit limited. They’ve been in the sale recently for 1300ish so pretty good value.

Planning on getting a new Stanton Slackline soon because it looks ridiculously sexy.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Onza payoff here, edit: hi5 Andy !, acid bath raw version, looks well cool, which is the most important thing! But also trailsy angles but not so it makes it a dog climbing, big wheels, you’d need a 27.2 dropper, I’m going without at the minute and not massively missing it. Not 90s Kona springy but takes a bit of the sting out when up to speed. Er yeah, well happy with it

psycorp
    Free Member

TBH the British designed stuff has for the most part seen exorbitant price hikes lately, brand building malarkey I’m ooooout.

Ragley latest RRP’s you’re aving a giraffe mate Stanton same. Too close to full sus frames in sales, way above aluminium frames with similar geometry that are lighter and haven’t seen anywhere near the same price hikes over the same period.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Current Stanton steel range are all £600! I only paid 750 for my Aeris.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Are there any UK companies who actually build the frames in the UK, apart from them wot make filing cabinets. Or is it limited to custom builders?

coomber
    Free Member

Quite fancy a payoff. Are you both running an EBB or press fit adaptor?

Sorry for the thread hijack

whitestone
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris Mk1.

With regard to the price hikes talked about above, Cotic are charging £500 for the Solaris frame which is what I paid in 2014.

coomber
    Free Member

Solaris in yellow now £399 which is a decent price

kelvin

All costs are shooting up. Not sure popularity has much to do with it.

Bigger manufacturers can delay price rises, but not escape them…

kelvin

Buy now.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Adapter, was cheap enough. Go for it, nice little frames

metalheart
    Free Member

I currently have:

Mk1 Cotic Soul (think it cost £380 back in 07 or 08, I forget which)

Mk1 Cotic Solaris in 29er (£499 when they first came out)

Next Gen Stanton Sherpa (B+). £599

Yup, frames aren’t cheap but 863, bolt through rear axle and a depreciating pound (at least +10% impact) all add up. Guess what, if it falls further they’ll go up even more 😥

If you’d been paying attention you could’ve picked up a soul (135 axle) or a mk2 Solaris for £399 recently (in yellow) or a Stanton with 15% off on black fireday.

soobalias
    Free Member

dialled prince albert
    the new one should be along soon

sharkattack

26″ Bfe here. Built it as a cheap stop gap between posh bikes and just kept riding it.

It’s been everywhere including up and down all them Alps in that there France when I broke my DH bike. That was an interesting week.

I’m about ready to switch back to something more forgiving but have no idea what I want.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Are there any UK companies who actually build the frames in the UK, apart from them wot make filing cabinets. Or is it limited to custom builders?

I take that as a ‘no’ then. 😕

munro
    Free Member

+1 on the dialled PA – just a super frame. Feels really lovely.

SandCrab

I’ve got a Mk 3 Soul, 26″ wheels. Lovely bike and by far the best hardtail I’ve ever ridden. Problem is I bought a Whyte T130 and I’m struggling to justify both!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Can really recommend a bfe in the lakes…

core

I’m 6ft, I’m right between cotic sizes, for the Solaris I’ve gone large because it’s more of an xc machine.

I fancy a 26″ bfe for pump track/learning to jump duty, but it’d be nice (though not essential) if it was pedalable for rides up to a couple of hours, am I asking too much from one frame? Would I be better off with a small or extra small? Priority would be for it to be good for the first intended use.

Bregante

6ft 1 here. Large Solaris.

S’alright I suppose*…

*It’s bloody brilliant

sharkattack

I fancy a 26″ bfe for pump track/learning to jump duty, but it’d be nice (though not essential) if it was pedalable for rides up to a couple of hours, am I asking too much from one frame?

Mine gets used on proper dirt jumps and pump tracks. I’ve also hit some pretty big gaps and drops on it.

It’s also the most comfy all day bike I’ve ever had. Saying that, people say the Bfe is harsh and I don’t have any similar bikes to compare it to. I’ve never been an XC rider so I just pop the Reverb up and go. My last hardtail was a Charge Blender which was similar on the fun stuff but a total pig everywhere else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘steel uk hardtails…whos got what?’ is closed to new replies.