Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Steel tubing – Durifort 831
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I saw a frame at a bike jumble but can’t find any info about the frame and the seller basically just collects things people want to sell then pays them when the item sells so has no info.

Anyway, the frameset is stickered with something that says Durifort 831 and the forks are Vitus something or other (the decal was pretty ruined). Anyone know anything about it?

atlaz
    Free Member

Bump

jameso

French. That’s all I know ) Likely to have been a nice enough bike in it’s day.

atlaz
    Free Member

Definitely French. I quite fancy an old, good quality steel road frame but don’t want to get one which is basically like my Raleigh

jameso

Peugeots with 1020 tubes are probably closest to the old raleighs, ie Hi-Ten steel stuff. Not sure what 831 is but if it feels light and has Vitus forks it could be worth a go. Hilary Stone’s site may have answers.

RustySpanner

Bit more info here:
    Vitus history.

Love old French road bikes – had a way too big Vitus frame as a teenager which was amazingly light but more flexible than a limbo dancing contortionist.

Comfy as hell though.

Lots of info on Vitus and Durifort out there, but you might have to have a bit of a search for it.

atlaz
    Free Member

That’s the problem; I can’t find anything really about Durifort 831 so I’m wondering if it’s a late sticker addition to replace a knackered lower-end tubing sticker or if it’s real. It looked age appropriate so I guess it’s real but struggling to find info. If only framebuilders in the 60s had used the internet… 😆

RustySpanner

Has it got a serial number on the BB shell?
    Might be woth a Google.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Steel tubing – Durifort 831’ is closed to new replies.