Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • steel touring bike/allrounder
  • drotos
    Free Member

One of my new projects in 2012 will be a world-touring bike. I’d like a relative light steel bike with drop bar and disc brakes. Sometimes I want to use the bike with rack and heavy load, other times on pathways and even more technical paths.

There are few options, but maybe You could suggest more, or could help in decision. I’m interested in complete builds or frame only, too.

For example:
    Genesis Croix de Fer
    Cotic Roadrat

Any idea, opinions?

Many thanks!

druidh
    Free Member

Would you consider Titanium?

wwaswas

not sure either of those would count as a world touring bike.

surly Long haul trucker?

druidh
    Free Member

CRC are selling off Kona Sutra frames. Not the lightest in the world, but it would do everything you’re asking for. The early ones have slliding drop-outs too, for even more flexibility. I had one but wanted to go a bit lighter so bought a Van Nicholas Amazon frame and some Kinesis DC19 forks.

thomthumb
    Free Member

surly Long haul trucker?

i was going to say that.

or thorn.

druidh
    Free Member

LHTs are great but they’re not really going to be suitable for “more technical paths”. problem is, you want something snappy handling for technical stuff but very stable for carrying loads over long distances. I reckon you have to compromise somewhere.

MrTall
    Free Member

Salsa Fargo, ticks all the boxes apart from the light weight one although it rides much nicer than its weight suggests. But then mine is an XXL which will be heavier than most. Lovely bike and designed as a go anywhere round the world offroad tourer.

Mine mostly does 11 mile commutes though the midlands though……

drotos
    Free Member

The Surly Long Haul Trucker is designed to be used with rim brakes. And the frame is a little bit on the heavy side, and the standover height is 32″, even in size 56, which is the smallest frame… :S

Sam

Singular Peregrine or Gryphon?

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a new LHT which takes disc brakes. Frame sizes go down to 42cm – it’s just that you have to use 26″ wheels below 56cm, but these are often recommended anyway as being stronger for off-road use and more easily replaceable if you’re in the remoter parts of the world.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker

drotos
    Free Member

I’d like 28″ wheels, because of long-distance rides.

druidh
    Free Member

Most round-the-world cyclists use 26″….

.. but, as I said above, you’d find the LHT a bit of a liability on technical stuff anyway.

tomaso
    Free Member

I can strongly recommend you buy a Roadrat. They are great frames and have the flexibility to be built into different styles of bike depending on what you want.

As if by chance I have one here for sale… :mrgreen: cheeky link to my add

cynic-al
    Free Member

http://mobro.co/alcole

I don’t think any of your suggestions would be called “light” by many. Not sure how they’d fare with 4 heavy panniers on either – which IMO would be one way of defining a world tourer.

druidh – Member
    LHTs are great but they’re not really going to be suitable for “more technical paths”. problem is, you want something snappy handling for technical stuff but very stable for carrying loads over long distances.

I don’t buy this for a second either I’m afraid – as if a slack angled bike is unrideable or even slow on techie/twisty trails? My Heckler is 67 degrees or so at the head tube, I may be slow, but it’s not the geometry that holds me back…

Anywhere properly off road (i.e. a bumpy surface) that you will ride a bike with <1.5″ tyres you won’t be going that fast – unless you are one of the cx riding legend on here 😉 – geometry (within reason) won’t be the limiting factor, if it is on any “techie” trail” (which I doubt).

druidh
    Free Member

You ridden an LHT Al? They just have a very “ponderous” feel to them. Hard to explain. Might be nothing to do with geometry, but that’s how it rides.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – none of the previous candidates have taken up my offer of a seat for Sunday. You still interested? We’ve to be there for 10, so need to leave (from genks’s) about 8:00???

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve ridden plenty of bikes that feel that way – I don’ believe that would slow one down off road in the slightest (with caveats above).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My 2ps worth:

Don’t get a Roadrat for touring. As a fast commuter they are ace, but as a tourer? Err nope. Why? Too flexy under load/loaded up for a start. Secondly, the horizontal dropouts make it a REAL pain in the ass to get the back wheel out with rack and mudguards on. Those 2 reasons alone are 2/3 of the reason I sold mine.

But for a world-touring bike, I’d go with a steel MTB frame every time. 26in wheels are tougher, parts and tyres more easy to find, the frames are stronger, they’re lower to the floor and more stable…. There’s just loads of reasons why most serious tourers take MTBs. If I was doing it, I’d use my Inbred, no question

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh so I am bottom of your list? 😉 probably – I’ll confirm, when you thinking of heading back for?

druidh
    Free Member

Dunno. Whenever we’ve finished riding I guess. It’ll be getting dark by 16:00 anyway, so back no later than 18:00. Would I be holding you back from a heavy date?

drotos
    Free Member

I’ve a steel Marin Team MTB, too… But I need sg faster. And I prefer drop bars. I like the slooping geometry of Cotic and Kona, because I have a relative short inseam length, so standover height is crucial, but need long top tube.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No, just wondered.

I am IN! 😡

drotos
    Free Member

Singular Gryphon is beautiful, but I don’t like EBB, especially on touring frames.

Sancho
    Free Member

Kinesis do a belter but cant remember its name at the moment

drotos
    Free Member

And… Could You help me to find out which is the lighter – and still reliable – frame among these? 🙂

rootes1

no discs.. but nice bikes..

Ridgeback – proper tourer

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/panorama

Thorn

Nice bikes, shame their website sucks – wnat to even take a quick look – need to download PDFs..

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornModelOverviewLoRes.pdf

also stuff from
    Fahrrad Manufaktur, etc

Pete,

Secondly, the horizontal dropouts make it a REAL pain in the ass to get the back wheel out with rack and mudguards on. Those 2 reasons alone are 2/3 of the reason I sold mine.

On my Pearson I fitted the rear guard stays with SKS securiclips, then you can easily unclip the stays when pulling the wheel out backwards.

grizzpup
    Free Member

I have a 56cm Kona Sutra frame for sale it is the older type with really nice adjustable CNC’d dropouts at the rear so you can run hub gears, singlespeed or gears….not an inbred style sliding dropout, sliding disc mount nightmare. May have other bits for sale too if you’re keen

Email me in profile for more info

cynic-al
    Free Member

drotos – Member
    And… Could You help me to find out which is the lighter – and still reliable – frame among these?

Don’t take the piss fella.

http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

drotos
    Free Member

Don’t take the piss fella.

http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

Thanks, but I’ve not found too many informations. So… please, let me ask questions, mate! 🙂

Big-Dave
    Free Member

How about the new Surly Orge? Its a touring/ utility version of the classic Karate Monkey. Its ugly obviously but you can fit drops no probs, I’ve got drop bars on my old style Karate Monkey.

Clobber
    Free Member

Got to be singular…

Singular Gryphon is beautiful, but I don’t like EBB, especially on touring frames.

Why? My EBB is rock solid in the singular, installed with a bit of copperslip it never moves, it never creaks and doesn’t seize when I want to adjust it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bet you can fit drop bars to a KM…

…the fact that it’s designed for flats and therefore always going to be a compromise is neither here nor there!

druidh
    Free Member

Sancho – Member
    Kinesis do a belter but cant remember its name at the moment

Tripster? That’s aluminium though.

magowen100
    Free Member

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a Sutra frame from CRC. The Quidco cashback plus £50 off your next £100 spend clinched it for me. I don’t think there is any bike that will do exactly what you want (I wanted the same but realised I’d have to sacrifice weight if I wanted a touring bike) the closest I could find would be the Honky Inc on CRC HERE! – I haven’t looked at the sizes available though.
    Oh and if any one has some P2 road forks for sale I’d be interested…

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I bet you can fit drop bars to a KM…

…the fact that it’s designed for flats and therefore always going to be a compromise is neither here nor there!

Drops on a Karate Monkey are fine, ugly but fine. Its no compromise at all, you just need to choose the stem you use with them carefully. To make sure I’m totally out of step with modern life I even run mine with bar end shifters and V brakes 😛

epicyclo

If you’re serious about going round the world, take a look at the bikes they ride in 3rd world countries.

Basic, steel, and strong. Cheap readily available parts.

Me, I’d buy a bike specifically for the tour and for general purpose stuff, I’d get one of Sam’s Gryphons. The EBB is a Phil Wood, and gives no problems.

Baldysquirt

For a world tour we did a few years back we used cheap old Kona smokes. They were absolutely great for lugging heavy loads over rough ground. The frames can be had for £100 on CRC at the moment too. They’re a heavy load of pipe, but very well suited to the job. I also used mine as a commuter and an mtb for a while, so versatile enough.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cheap bikes are not always a good idea – they may not be that strong.

Big Dave – Member
    Drops on a Karate Monkey are fine, ugly but fine. Its no compromise at all, you just need to choose the stem you use with them carefully.

Not ugly at all – but the handling will always be compromised, unless you go about 2-3 sizes smaller.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of touring bikes, but I like the look of the Salsa Fargo, they do it in titanium too if you have the money. It seems to be pitched at the off-road touring scene, so might suit.

The Dawes Super Galaxy seems to be a touring classic.

zilog6128

For example:
    Genesis Croix de Fer

not sure either of those would count as a world touring bike.

I think Vin Cox would probably disagree with you 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘steel touring bike/allrounder’ is closed to new replies.