• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Steel, Slot Drop-out, SS / Geared Frame??????
  • bigblackshed

As the title. What’s out there other than an On One Inbred? Looking for something for my son, Boy1. He’s nearly 16 and wants something simple for general getting about on and possibly some forest trails / trail centre.

Ohh, and cheap. Please.

Not a fan of On One. Don’t ask. 🙄

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d say On One and forget about any prejudices/past experiences/internet hearsay. Of all the bikes I’ve owned through the years, the two On Ones I’ve had have been well up there in the fun stakes…

cp

You don’t have a great deal of options beyond on one really for decent riding and cheap.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajantom

Why slot drop-out in particular? If he wants to SS it a tensioner will do the job, and it leaves many more options.

funkynick

Any particular reason for slot drop-outs? If not, then see if you can find a Dialled Love/Hate going secondhand.

Other than that, who was it that produced the swop-outs, as seen on the Decade Versa, which would possibly be an option, but not necessarily cheap! DMR wasn’t it? If so then you might be able to find one of their frames which take them knocking about secondhand too.

Del

or an iscg mount ( or even bb ) chain device

slackalice
    Free Member

Kinesis Decade Virtue.

Lovely bike of Tange Prestige main tubes, swappable dropouts and fun to ride. Not sure how much adolescent gnarr it would take, but I get the impression something to zoot along in the woods?

It’s got a short Uni-crown seatstays which give it a sturdier feel, but IME, I’ve found it almost Retro-Kona-esq 😀 of the Explosif variety 8)

bigblackshed

I won’t put any of money in the direction of On One. Past experiences and all that.

He is so far from gnar it’s embarrassing.

Slot dropouts because I’ve had problems getting tensioners to work well in the past.

I’ll have a look at DMR, Dialled, I like the sound of the Kinesis, I had an Explosif back in the 90s, that’s when I fell in love with bikes again.

I might have to go to Pinkbike to find a DMR though, innit. 😕

leftyboy
    Free Member

I ride a Kinesis Decade Virsa which has removable dropouts and can run SS or geared.

slackalice
    Free Member

853 Rock Lobster’s appear on Retrobike from time to time, always worth a look at as some of them seem to be really good value.

There was a Virtue/Virsa on the Classifieds here a few days or week ago, 20″ frame IIRC. Search be your friend there, they do come up and not too pricey used at anywhere from £100 – £120 for a frame.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Genesis IO Frames can be picked up cheaply if you shop around.

Or like above DMR, You should be able to pick up a Trailstar cheap and get it powdercoated.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I think Charliethebikemonger had some Sanderson Soloists going reasonably recently? Also, Surly 1x1s can be had fairly cheap

_tom_
    Free Member

DMR Trailstar with swapouts would be great for what you’re after.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Kona Unit? Seen a couple for sale on here recently. Can run gears/SS with dropout change. Great bikes

julianwilson
    Free Member

Old dmr trailstar or sidekick, both had slots and a mech hanger iirc. Actually thinking about it some other early noughties jumpy bikes might fit that bill. Identiti dr jekyll might have had slot dropouts too. Also commencal maxmax came in cromo and alloy flavours with various dropouty bits, and specialized P1 might have come in steel at one point as well. Or for sliding dropouts with gear hangers, you could widen search to voodoo wanga ( not the newest one which is alloy but the older red ones) or kona explosif: they wiuld be a bit lighter than an inbred and much lighter than old jump frames.

40mpg

Buy a second hand On-One? That way you don’t feed the beast. And you can take the stickers off if you’re embarrassed 😕

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Who is? And what is ‘so far from gnar’? Are you even sure what you’re talking about? Are you iolo?

bigblackshed

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    Who is? And what is ‘so far from gnar’? Are you even sure what you’re talking about? Are you iolo?

To answer your questions Davey.

Who is?

Looking for something for my son, Boy1. He’s nearly 16

And what is ‘so far from gnar’?

for general getting about on and possibly some forest trails / trail centre.

In other words mincing.

I was answering Slackalice’s questions. Do read all of the OP. *

* I forgot. This is STW. 🙄

nixie

What sort of size?

bigblackshed

Nixie.

18″ or medium.

nixie

Considering selling my IO ID frame. Its the 19″ versions so may be bigger than you’d want though (geometry check shows its 7mm longer then a medium soul).

Its the yellow one as shown in Genesis 2010 catalogue

BillOddie

Surly Karate Monkey’s have nice handy track ends with mech hanger that allows SS or geared use.

bigblackshed

Nixie.

A 19″ might work. He’s built like me, tall, with long torso, sort legs, and gangly arms.

Didn’t think of a hub gear.

What sort of price do you have in mind?

nixie

Emailed you at the address in your profile.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Steel, Slot Drop-out, SS / Geared Frame??????’ is closed to new replies.