Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Steel sheds – recomendations
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I'm thinking of putting up a steel shed in the garden, to store bikes and and as a workshop. I've seen the Yardmaster types (below).

Any known issues with these?

How sturdy are they and how difficult/easy are they to break into? It has no floor so as the shed is going on the grass, would need something doing there…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone got one or similar?

Phil_H

One of my neighbours had one similar, he had to get a black smith to make a sturdier door after someone broke in.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I wouldn't rely on the just the shed to secure the bikes. Most of my mates have motor cycle ground anchors sunk into the concrete floors of their sheds or garages to secure their bikes to them. Use the biggest and best chain you can find because you won't be putting it in a pack or anything.

You shouldn't stand the shed on grass. You need to put a concrete or paving slab pad down. Concrete is ideal because you can secure ground anchors into it and lock the bikes to them. I keep my bikes in a shed which sits on a 4 inch think concrete pad. I then have a couple of these Squire ground anchors which are set into the concrete with extra reinforcing steels set around them. I then have two bikes locked to each anchor with a Kryponite 110cm hexagonal link chain.

bonesetter
    Free Member

So it looks like you may as well have a cheaper wooden shed, as you need to securely anchor your bikes to the floor anyway…

alexxx
    Free Member

why not just do it in breezeblocks that steel shed looks vile and you could always put on a flat slightly sloped back roof with clear corrigated plastic so it'd be light in the daytime, you could get that up in a day easy.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

You might get a bit more deterrence with a metal one, but I wouldn't count on it actually being that secure against forced entry unless you are going to get extra locking bars either welded or bolted to improve the robustness of the door locking mechanism. I'd guess that the standard locks are going to be pretty easy to break.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Depending on how your house is sited you might consider getting an old shipping container. They are pretty sturdy, but not the best looking!

djglover
    Free Member

Look at trimetals website

bonesetter
    Free Member

Right, after a couple of phone calls the steel shed/contaianer option seems like it will be very hot in summer, and very cold and prone to condensation in winter. Also, the 'metal shed' you get from online suppliers are really only tin and very week with no floor.

Best option would seem a 3/4" thick, timber shed on a concrete base. I've found alocal supplier who makes them and plan to go down Thursday to have a look at a couple he has and find out price 😯

slowrider
    Free Member

my metal shed leaks like a right b*stard. you could break in with a tin opener too. lots of big chains is my solution, i couldnt afford a decent timber one in the size i needed at the time.

mushrooms
    Free Member

I've just built a yardmaster metal shed and it was a pain to build as the instructions are pretty poor. Once built its fairly solid but the metal is only slightly thicker than a beer can and the doors are rubbish. A good quality wood shed would be my choice by a long way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Steel sheds – recomendations’ is closed to new replies.