Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Steel seatpost stuck in aluminium frame.
  • Harry_the_Spider

How do I shift the bugger? Brute force and swear just isn't doing it.

hora
    Free Member

Tried taking the seat off and using a claw hammer straight down ontop? (metal on metal- resonate etc).

Harry_the_Spider

I forgot to add… Without destroying the bike.

DaveFell
    Free Member

put the post in a vice fixed to a bench and twist the bike around it, using it as a massive lever

hora
    Free Member

Try it- obviously vertical strikes to the top of the seatpost with no cushioning- after every strike grip and try twisting the seatpost with both hands with the frame locked inbetween your knees.

Of course oil drizzled aroud the top of the seat collar.

Edit- all decent bike mechanics should have a claw hammer (used carefully it can shift anything stubborn) 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

I think it will be a PlusGas and vice job at work.

paul4stones

Kettle of boiling water. How long has it been there? Could actually be one composite piece of stuff.

giantjason
    Free Member

The only way I shifted mine was by clamping the seatpost in a vice and twisting. I ended up ruining the seatpost though!!

enfht
    Free Member

Place bike upside down
    Boil Kettle
    Brew Up
    Ask an internet forum for advice
    HTH

Harry_the_Spider

Could actually be one composite piece of stuff.

That's my concern. If the two are fused then I could risk knackering the frame. Which would be bad.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

There was a thread about this earlier in the week, I posted a step by step guide of how I freed mine using coca-cola. Give that a go.

showerman
    Free Member

try this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html always a good idea to take seatpost out when not in use, i know its a bit late now but lost a speedball post in the same way so now just pop it out between rides good luck not damaging the frame

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Steel seatpost stuck in aluminium frame.’ is closed to new replies.