Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Steel road framset
  • mobes
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy a steel road frameset. Currently looking at the Genesis Equlibrium. Anything else out there I should be considering? I don’t want to spend more the the £450 the Genesis will set me back. I like the look of the Surly Pacer, but can find one in stock!

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I bought one of the last Pacers, not my first Surly, but I was pleasantly surprised by the ride, easily impressed with the metal-flake spanglyness and slightly annoyed that had to adapt a 58cm when I reckon a 56cm would have been bob-on.
    If you need a 58cm frameset, I might be tempted to sell as I like my pacer enough that I’d like to trade up to something like a Ritchey or possibly pimpier….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Equilibrium is better than a Surly, no doubt about that. One of these would be best though (judging by the weight). Dunno how much it works out in GBP though http://www.veloheld.de/veloheld-icon-frame

shermer75
    Free Member

Equilibrium is better than a Surly, no doubt about that. 

How do you know this?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve owned both

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve owned both

Nice!

What made the Genesis better? I’m genuinely curious! Was it the ride feel?

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I’m running an equilibrium fork in my Pacer, still have the equilibrium frame which is very nice, but sadly the seatpost seized (not at my height) the equilibrium was lighter, but can’t say it was better. I have ridden an 853 Equilibrium, that was very, very nice, but I don’t think they do that one any more…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It rode better (even though it was a bit too small), went downhills better. It was set up differently to the Surly though, I know it had different bars and saddle on it.

It was also a good bit lighter, not sure how much of that was down to the carbon fork, but the surly was heavy. Don’t think the surly was the stiffest frame going either…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

TBH though, I’d spend the money on an aluminium or carbon bike as I think they make more sense at the cheaper end of the spectrum. Best bikes I’ve owned have been carbon.

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice one thanks! 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you want a decent steel frame, best off just looking for something second hand from Europe on ebay, built with oversized Columbus Genius/Foco/Life tubing

Digby

Still riding my 2010 Surly Pacer – it’s carried me comfortably round various long distance routes including the Fred Whitton.

I’d buy another for sure. I just don’t need to yet! 😉

scandal42
    Free Member

Charge Plug in tange prestige, bargainous if still available.

househusband

If of any interest I’ll probably be selling a 57cm Ritchey Road Logic frameset in a while; mint condition as I’ve only ridden it a dozen times or so – reluctant sale but I can’t justify keeping it as I ride another bike primarily and I want to change to a disc brake frameset.

ElShalimo

scandal42 – Member
    Charge Plug in tange prestige, bargainous if still available.

There’s a huge thread on here about this…clicky

2018 Charge Plug is going to be Tange steel again
    Linky

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Emailed you househusband, but not sure my account is 100%

13thfloormonk

I was considering this for a while, if you’re not fussed about disc brakes then worth considering the Holdsworth Competition or Light Blue Wolfson.

Both a bit above your budget but both significantly lighter than the Equilibrium, and I think the Holdsworth can even squeeze in wider tyres (based on forum comments anyway, I think all three manufacturers state 28c widest).

househusband

Emailed you househusband, but not sure my account is 100%

Emailed you back!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The new Charge stuff does sound good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Steel road framset’ is closed to new replies.