Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Steel road frames
  • TheDoctor
    Free Member

Does anyone have any recent experience or recomendations? Already got the full custom steel superbike, so am looking at winter frame duties. Been looking local-ish in Leeds at Woodrup, bob jackson etc…

mick_r

Ribble. Colleague at work has one. Surprisingly light skinny steel tubes, very nicely made for the price (I braze my own steel frames from scratch so know what I’m looking at).

dickie
    Free Member

Whats your budget?
    I had a Genesis Equilibrium for a few years, under £300 new, & replaced it with a Mason Resolution. I’d recommend both.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’m in Leeds and have a Bob Jackson Olympus; it’s a nice bike but no where near the quality you’ll get from Woodrups.

I’m not sure the expense of Jackson would bring you anymore bike than a Genesis Equilibrium.

IHN

Ritchey Road Logic. Got one, love it.

nerd
    Free Member

Not Bob Jackson. I had one and hated it. Really weird geometry and not particularly well made.

My normal recommendation is to find a good condition merckx corsa extra on eBay or lfgss forums. I paid 300 for my frame and fork which has some superficial paint chips.

superstu
    Free Member

Had a Kona Honky Tonk. As a mountain biker I absolutely loved it, thought it made a very comfortable (albeit heavy) road bike. I’m sure others will disagree, not hugely experienced in road bikes so can’t say how it compares, just that for me it was great. Bits hanging off it were cheap which didn’t help the weight.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, some helpful advice and recommendations

shermer75
    Free Member

Those Woodrups look amazing..

shermer75
    Free Member

They’re not local to you but it might be worth consideringa Fairlight Strael, they’re off the peg rather than custom but they do have a uniquely extensive size range

http://road.cc/content/review/216171-fairlight-cycles-strael

RustySpanner

Spa Audax?

Lovely things.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I want that grey Skinnymalinky on the Stand website.

MoreCashThanDash

I got a Condor Fratello Disc last winter – full custom is an option.

Lovely and comfortable 4 season plodder, bit like myself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Steel road frames’ is closed to new replies.