Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Steel rigid fork help
  • dmc
    Free Member

Looking at building up a on-one 29er frame as a work horse commute tour etc want to put a steel rigid disc fork on it just wondering what people would recommend, looked at the surly forks but which one would suit or should i be looking elsewhere ???

appreciate any help

DC

Vortexracing

My Salsa cro-moto is great in it’s 26″ guise

nedrapier

I’m enjoying the Salsa Cromoto on my 26er, they come in varous a2c lengths, and there are other people who like them too.

There are some out there, surly or salsa with bosses for cages, mounts of various sorts, which you might want…

Just realised this is probably a net loss to your knowledge of anything useful. Hopefully someone else will have posted while I’ve been typing, and I can just edit mine to say “+1” or something.

nedrapier

I just actually laughed out loud.

vortexracing +1!

mickolas
    Free Member

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but to add to the discussion…

Sounds like you don’t need a hardcore offroading fork, but you’re after a bit of comfort/on a budget. I’m gonna be buying a steel fork for a cyclocross effort and narrowed it down to roughly three choices (like the look of the surlys but these others are cheaper):

On-one Pompetamine (£50 disc);
    Planet X Kaffenback (is it the same fork as the pomp?);
    Genesis Croix de fer (£60).
    Guess you could also consider the on-one cromo 29er MTB fork – looks a little heavy duty for my needs.

My main concern is ride quality/compliance. The main difference with the forks I am looking at is that the CDF fork is straight-legged, whereas the On-one forks have curved blades.

I would assume that curved legs would have a little more ‘give’ in them (insert rude joke here), but would love to hear the opinion of a frame builder (believe Brant gets word every time “on-one” appears in a post)/cross racer/tourer/bloke down the road who has ridden one or more of the above.

mattsccm
    Free Member

IMHO most modern steel bikes are made of pretty hefty tubes. Well bmy cotic X and Kaffenback both fit that description. It’s usually well below 531 and thats a good base line. The forks on these bikes and others are usually worse!Are you sure you want that? A cheap carbo fork will be nice to ride.

dmc
    Free Member

I did consider the cross style forks but would still like the option of putting a fat tyre back on for bikepacking also the axle to cron measurement would make the front end pretty low.

Thought about carbon too but to be honest don’t want it to be too nickable and to be able to take some abuse knocks etc
    Cheers

takisawa2

Tried On-One & Exotic carbon forks on my Inbred, but the best fork I tried was a Singular Swift steel fork. Just the right combination of flex & feel. Carbon were nice, not that much lighter & took bigger hits better. For just absorbing general trail buzz the Singular fork was very good. Lovely feel to it. It’s damn near identical to the reputedly 853 Niner steel fork I have on my SIR.9, identical as in everything except the disc mount. For £70 it’s spot on. (Niner fork is nearly 3x that…!!!)

On-Ones steel fork was harsh as hell on the 26″ Inbred I tried.

johnnystorm

I’m fitting one of these to my £99 On-One

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=833&

mattjg
    Free Member

I had a Swift fork on a Swift frame, it did the job, didn’t try anything else. Not featherweight though, if that’s material. I have a Niner carbon now, on a different frame, and much prefer it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve used both Salsa cromoto and singular swift forks in 29er flavour.

both excellent, but which ever is the cheapest at the time. Unless you want rack mounts, then go for surly ogre forks or salsa fargo ones.

The cyclocross fork is unlikely to work as it will be too short and will limit you to narrow tyres.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Steel rigid fork help’ is closed to new replies.