Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Steel or Ti freehub bodies
  • druidh
    Free Member

Other than Hope – and possibly Mavic, who makes them (the quieter the better)?

njee20
    Free Member

Tune, Shimano

druidh
    Free Member

Any more?

Northwind

Formula… But I’ve not seen their higher spec models for sale aftermarket, which is a shame, they’re near silent and spin forever, and weigh about the same as a Pro 2 with a steel hub.

Stoner
    Free Member

this is a Chosen hub I think

Has an ally freehub shell with titanium driver and pawls inside.
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=317

Bit pricey though….

I have the one with the steel driver and pawls instead.

Not quiet though, although I think if you oil/grease the ratchet you can make it quieter.

njee20
    Free Member

Has an ally freehub shell with titanium driver and pawls inside.

I’m guessing he’s looking for a tougher freehub body to avoid the cassette burring, not the internals for weight saving purposes.

Druidh what are you after specifically? Obviously things like Tune hubs are still pretty fragile, I’d have a DT240 with alu freehub rather than a Tune with ti if longevity is an issue!

Think White Industries do them too (ti that is).

Plenty of options with steel, but they tend to be the lower end of the market. AFAIK Mavic are one of the only ones doing ‘high end’ steel freehubs.

Northwind

Who was it that does the alu freehubs with the steel inserts on the drive faces?

druidh
    Free Member

Tick!

njee20
    Free Member

Who was it that does the alu freehubs with the steel inserts on the drive faces?

American Classic, again though, put them in the ‘perhaps not the best’ for reliability. Not bad, by any stretch, particularly compared to 10 years ago, but not the best.

druidh
    Free Member

Might be back to Shimano again then. Either XTR (Ti) or something cheaper with a Deore (steel) freehub.

jono84
    Free Member

Stans do a ti freehub to bit quiter than hope but still quite vocal

njee20
    Free Member

Again though, I thought the 3.30ti had ti internals, but an alu freehub body.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Steel or Ti freehub bodies’ is closed to new replies.