Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • steel or carbon for new HT race bike
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

hi there,

Im currently after a new xc race bike to build up for next year and cant decide between a steel orange R8 or a carbon whippet. the bike will mainly be used for xc racing on as i have a full sus for general trail duties.
    not really got the chance to test ride either so need advice on the different qualities of the above materials.
    Who rides steel/carbon bikes currently and what do you like/dislike about them.
    does anyone own an R8 or the whippet and would like to share pics or comments on them?
    help me decide please!!!!

mboy
    Free Member

Purely as a race bike? You’ve got to go as light as possible to give yourself every advantage. Steel doesn’t make sense for racing at all any more.

corroded
    Free Member

For racing? Got to be carbon. I’ve got a light-ish steel hardtail and love it, but a decent carbon frame would knock it for six for stiffness, weight etc. Just wouldn’t look so nice…

mrmo
    Free Member

if it is a race bike, weight matters, which will almost certainly mean Carbon.

RealMan
    Free Member

Carbon.

DT78
    Free Member

what cat will you be racing in? have you raced before? If you are just starting out I would get what you prefer for general riding. You may find that you don’t like racing after all….

Haven’t raced for a year due to a broken collar bone, but the year before did alot of Gorrics, SPAM and a couple of rounds of the Southern XC all on my charge duster. Tbh I doubt with my fitness a couple of lb would have made that much of a difference. Still had loads of fun was even vaguely competitive in a couple of the races (in the have a go hero cat)

jonny-m
    Free Member

raced for a few years but just had a year out doing other stuff, looking forward to geting back into it next year

mrmo
    Free Member

something else, if money comes into the equation, get the best wheels you can, weight is even more noticeable.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what about a light, carbon full susser?

Something like an Anthem …

jonny-m
    Free Member

got a budget of around 1k… ish

compositepro
    Free Member

I know you asked the question steel or carbon, but why have you ruled out titanium?

jonny-m
    Free Member

price!

weeve
    Free Member

I bought a second hand s-works M5 hardtail frame on the bay. was around 400 quid but mint. As good as any moderate priced carbon and only 100grams more. Cant beat it in my view. Im about to use a older M4 version for a 9 day transalp bivi-bike crossing. It can take the scratches without me wincing and spent the money on xtr wheels (last generation) to keep weight v. low and is likely to be up to the task (even if Im not..)

mboy
    Free Member

I know you asked the question steel or carbon, but why have you ruled out titanium?

Ti doesn’t make much sense as a race bike either. More sense than steel due to weight, but for ultimate in light weight and high strength and stifness, you want carbon!

FWIW, I’ve got a Ti framed bike that I love, but if I was ever going to take XC racing seriously (doubtful as I’m crap), if sell it and get something seriously light like the 899 gram Scott!

donsimon
    Free Member

Carbon all the way.

compositepro
    Free Member

best race bike I ever had was titanium

alpin
    Free Member

weeve – Member

I bought a second hand s-works M5 hardtail frame on the bay. was around 400 quid but mint. As good as any moderate priced carbon and only 100grams more. Cant beat it in my view. Im about to use a older M4 version for a 9 day transalp bivi-bike crossing. It can take the scratches without me wincing and spent the money on xtr wheels (last generation) to keep weight v. low and is likely to be up to the task (even if Im not..)

pics!
    what route are you riding?

njee20
    Free Member

XTR wheels aren’t that light, carbon is tougher than alu, Whippet all the way! Out of interest weeve, why use the M4 for the Transalp? Assuming it’s an S-Works still that puts it at 2001 or earlier, I’d far far rather ride a Whippet!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘steel or carbon for new HT race bike’ is closed to new replies.