Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Steel hardtails other than the 2010 Soul that have a replaceable mech hanger?
  • BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Well, are there?

I know the new Pipedream Sirius has whole replaceable dropouts, but I'm really not sure I like the design of them.

GavinB

Why do you specifically want a replaceable dropout on a steel frame? If it bends you can just bend it back.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Evil Sovereign
    De kerf
    Kona Explosiv

but all are sliding (and thus replaceable) dropouts rather than just the trad replaceable hanger.

'09 RM Blizzard doesn't but I don't know about the '10

generally not considered necessary on a steel bike because you can bend the hangar straight after a crash without it cracking (as ally would) Still, nice to have the extra confidence perhaps

Simwit

How about the new Pace 104? that has various replaceable options I believe.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You don't need it, just bend it back again.

This is still going 2 years later, and it's been bent again since, although not as badly:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2836292229_004599bd7c.jpg

After repair:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2837151900_6889e1e3e5.jpg

cy

You don't really need it for durability. We never had trouble with the solid steel ones. The main reason I've gone replaceable on the new Soul is to save weight so I could offset the extra metal in the CEN compliant front end.

Mackem

Orange P7 has replaceable dropouts There´s a different one if you want to run singlespeed.

midlifecrashes

Kinesis Decade/Virsa too with added slideyness for the gearless.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Whyte 19 Steel – yummiest bike we've had for a while. Dropous are very much replaceable and you can change them for singlespeed efforts.

Love it. The one we have is not my size however Clever me.

chakaping
    Free Member

It's difficult to get the indexing exactly right after bending them back sometimes though.

I can see the appeal, if the hanger breaks before the frame bends.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It's difficult to get the indexing exactly right after bending them back sometimes though

Buy a hanger alignment tool? They don't cost any more than a replacement hanger for some frames!

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Yeah, cos that looks great, I'd be totally satisfied for my ~£400 frame to look like that after having to bend it back to shape for want of a simple replaceable part that all aluminium frames have anyway!

I think that's the root of my desire for a replacable hanger really. Much rather just carry a spare in my camelback like I do with my alu frame so I can effect a full fix on the trail, with no alignment issues or buggered paint job.

Thanks for the suggestions all, decision time then – just how important to me is it?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

after having to bend it back to shape for want of a simple replaceable part that all aluminium frames have anyway!

If that's a big deal to you why not get an ally frame?

Bend it, bend it back. No biggy. Scuffed bike? Yep, that's what happens when you ride 'em.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

'nother suggestion..
    Enigma Ego ST

devs
    Free Member

All steel hangers are replaceable! You just need a buddy with a welder. They don't break though do they? They just bend. Mostly.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

You don't really need it for durability. We never had trouble with the solid steel ones. The main reason I've gone replaceable on the new Soul is to save weight so I could offset the extra metal in the CEN compliant front end.

Cy – Out of interest – is the hanger on the Soul a custom one, or a more common readily available type? (e.g. interchangeable with Kona/Specialized etc)

I want a replaceable hanger for the same reason I wouldn't buy a car with bumpers that were integral to the bodywork.

rs
    Free Member

The main reason I've gone replaceable on the new Soul is to save weight so I could offset the extra metal in the CEN compliant front end.

How much weight out of interest do you save going allow, can't be that much surely.

Norton
    Free Member

The Sirius is amazing value though – 853 and sliding dropouts for £299..

Northwind

"Much rather just carry a spare in my camelback like I do with my alu frame so I can effect a full fix on the trail, with no alignment issues or buggered paint job."

Yeah, this appeals to me too. Not enough to change frames mind

househusband

Cy – Out of interest – is the hanger on the Soul a custom one, or a more common readily available type?

I'm still waiting for Cotic to get spare Soul hangers in… I've been unable to find a spare on BETD and Wheels Manufacturing websites.

jonb
    Free Member

Aren't on ones about the same price as a mech hanger these days?

I bent mine back and it was fine. Dropouts always get tatty first anyway so it's no big problem.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

jonb

Aren't on ones about the same price as a mech hanger these days?

^quote of the week! 😀

cy

They're our design, but we'll have about 200 on the shelf in a couple of weeks.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

OK – Is there any particular reason you decided to come up with your own design for the mech hanger, rather than designing the dropout to take one of the ~130 different types (discussed in another thread recently) already available?

mrh86

Just buy a bike and ride it

cy

I haven't designed my own as such – it's the off the shelf item from my factory for a dropout of the type I use. I have no idea if it's the same as other peoples, but the fact that I simply bought it in would suggest that it's not that odd.

househusband

I have no idea if it's the same as other peoples, but the fact that I simply bought it in would suggest that it's not that odd.

I've not been able to find it (unless I couldn't see the wood for the trees) at either BETD or Wheels Manufacturing, which suggests to me it is a bit of an odd one unfortunately.

cy

Well, if it's odd that's a shame, but like I say, we'll have a shelf-ful in a week or so and we will keep it that way for years to come.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

131 types of mech hanger now then? 🙄 😆

Nainosliw
    Free Member

@ househusband

I couldn't identify which hanger I needed so took photos on graph paper and emailed to BETD – sorted!

househusband

I couldn't identify which hanger I needed so took photos on graph paper and emailed to BETD – sorted!

Care to share – let us know which BETD hanger it is?

Cy says he will have hundreds of them next week, so why not wait to get one from him, then you will definitely have the correct one?

househusband

A totally logical, flawless, reasoned point Mike – but then some of us are impatient buggers and like to know of alternative/additional sources, just in case!

Nainosliw
    Free Member

Sorry for the confusion – was not for a soul. Just suggesting a way to get BETD to tell you if they have the one you need from their stock of around 200 verients

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Steel hardtails other than the 2010 Soul that have a replaceable mech hanger?’ is closed to new replies.