Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Steel Hardtail replacement for 6'2" bloke – suggestions please!
  • ferrit
    Free Member

Currently have a Dialled Prince Albert which I’ve run for about 5 years. It’s absolutely brilliant – by far the best bike I’ve owned.

Unfortunately, the seat tube has worn so much that the seat can’t be clamped without slipping. Gutted. So has to be replaced.

I would happily get another PA, but currently they only do ones with 1 1/8 headtubes. And the number of 140mm fork options with these days is fast reducing – tapered is a must.

Lots of thoughts about Stanton etc, but I ran a 19″ PA with a Thomson 410mm layback post at almost full extension. Stanton, for example, only do up to 18″ which is no use.

So…. suggestions please!

Has to be about 19″ or 20″, must be steel, must take a 140mm fork, must have a tapered headtube.

Fun factor is important – at least as good as the PA!

z1ppy

Quarter horse

or Sherpa for me

Well you didn’t say it couldn’t be a 29er, and if you think there no fun, you should actually try a good one.. 😉

ferrit
    Free Member

Haha, thanks dude! You’re right – I didn’t specify…

Would be happy to stick to 26 as all the running gear on the PA is good but I could be tempted by a 27.5…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tor5
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ and have a slackline, although the ST is short, it’s a long, low bike – it might well have the same kind of reach as your PA.

It’s fitted with a dropper and 50mm stem. I am pretty comfortable on it for 2-3 hrs messing about in the woods

timmys

6’2″ on a Slackline here. No problems.

ferrit
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far folks – interesting that lots of you tall guys are on Slacklines…

I’m 6’2″ but on a 19″ PA with one of the longest seatposts I can find at full extension – most concerned about managing to get the seat high enough. I’m kinda all leg (without that sounding weird!) – long legs and short torso.

Keep ’em coming!

djflexure

Have a look at the Transition Trans Am – some frames on Merlin
    Don’t have one but always fancied it.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Wouldn’t give up on it yet! I had this with my old 69er. Few wraps of the below around the seat post and it’s good as new!
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-tape-glue-velcro/harris-metal-repair-tape-50mmx10m

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Cotic Soul 26″ or 27.5″

kahunajb
    Free Member

6’3″ and a bit. No problem with my Slackline and reverb dropper. 60mm stem and 38mm Renthal riser bars to reduce the seat to bar height difference slightly. Very comfortable so far.

Cotic do the Soul and BFE in 19″.

Edit: Also have plenty left on the seat post if need to go higher. If you say where you are someone might let you have a go on theirs. I’m in Leeds.

Candodavid
    Free Member

What about a new Curtis ?

winch
    Free Member

Which wheel size are you after op?

kudos100
    Free Member

XL Privee Shan. I got a few mates who ride them and they all love them.

ferrit
    Free Member

doncorleoni – good shout – will try that in the meantime – thanks

kahunajb – cheers for the info – I’m in Edinburgh but thanks anyway!

djflexure – Interesting about the Transition – that had slipped under my radar – cheers

Yep – had the Cotics in my sights initially, just keen to see if there’s anything I’ve not considered.

Candodavid – oh my! I would love a Curtis – I really would. But I don’t think my budget stretches that far. Or maybe it would… NO NO! Aargh! 😉

Oh and I’m kinda going towards 26 but possibly 27.5. Not 29 I don’t think.

qwerty
    Free Member

2015, Kona, Explosif, 650b

15″, 17″, 19″, 21″.

ferrit
    Free Member

Ooh – Kona Ti made by Lynskey…

Uh oh.

qwerty
    Free Member

Also available as a frame only in Ti

qwerty
    Free Member

Orange one is 520, naked one is Ti, Lynskey may snap, but have excellent repair/replacement.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Seatpost shim would be cheaper, but if you need an excuse… 😉

NormalMan

MTB Rob – Member
    Don’t forget the Cotic Soul 26″ or 27.5

+1 or even a BFe.

singlesteed
    Free Member

+1 for a Curtis, you’ll literally want to ride every hour of every day after trying.

They really are GREAT!

nickc

Production Privee, the guys behind the Shan have made a 140mm version the Oka. can run as 26 or 27.5

singlespeedstu

At your height you really should look at the likes of a Quarterhorse/Nimble9/Yelli.
    Forget your misconceptions about shitty XC race 29ers and try out some fun frames.

alcolepone
    Free Member

i’m 6,3 and on a 18inch slackline….

bigger would lose the fun 😀

Candodavid
    Free Member

Check out Curtis website/facebook/twitter feeds.
    He’s making 26″, 27.5″ and 29″ now in all kinds of guises, along with cx frames now too
    Linky thing

PS, I have a quarterhorse too, thats one hell of a frame.
    2 souls do a 650b too

Cheezpleez

29 really can be fun. No down side if you get the right frame . Niner ROS, Quarterhorse, Yelli, Nimble 9, Honzo, etc

6079smithw
    Free Member

What about this bad boy?
    http://www.silverbacklab.com/bike/mountain/silverback-segma-279/
    29 & 27.5 wheels on the same bike, will annoy the hell out of wheel size evangelists

BigDummy
    Free Member

If the QuarterHorse is remotely within budget, have a look at Chromag as well. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

What budget do you have and how much quality / niche do you require?

The steel Kona Explosif is probably closest match to the PA in terms of cost and steel used and geometry. A complete bike can be had for the cost of ^ frame only suggestions. If budget can stretch why not get a custom build? 953 or 921 stainless.

deepreddave
    Free Member

The 19″ might be fine in the Privee Shan otherwise why no on one/ragley suggestions? This is STW isn’t it?

winch
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″, riding an 18″ dialled alpine with wide bars. I can ride it all day, no problems.

Having said that if I were buying or building again from scratch I’d go 27.5. More choice of large frames that aren’t gates in the bigger wheel sizes.

BadlyWiredDog

Unfortunately, the seat tube has worn so much that the seat can’t be clamped without slipping. Gutted. So has to be replaced.

If you really love the frame, coke can shim or a dropper post? A lot cheaper as well…

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ and have a slackline, although the ST is short, it’s a long, low bike – it might well have the same kind of reach as your PA.

I wouldn’t class the slackline as long (nor particularly low). It has a shortish ‘reach’ measurement for its size (in terms of “stack” and “reach”).

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

No real suggestions dude, but just to save ferrit from the “I am 6’2″ and fit on this…” he really does have freakishly long legs, I am the same height but can hardly reach the pedals on his bike.

Have you thought of just getting someone to repair the seat tube? Seems a shame to get rid of it if you love it that much.

bigblackshed
    ferrit
    Free Member

Guys – many thanks for all your suggestions – lots of frames I would never have looked at or haven’t heard of – will get looking.

qwerty – Budget – I guess up to about £700 would be ok – I’d like something under £600 if possible. Quality/niche – most importantly, reliability. And not much heavier than the PA. Niche – don’t really mind. The PA has been a solid workhorse and is a hoot to ride.

And thanks for the backup cows_in_cars 🙂 I hate to retire the frame, but I get the feeling that if I get the seat-tube repaired, my forks will inevitably die next and I only have a 1 1/8 headtube… Will look into it though.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Steel Hardtail replacement for 6'2" bloke – suggestions please!’ is closed to new replies.