Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Steel hardtail?
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Been toying with the idea of replacing the stumpy with a steel frame. First thought about a Dialled PA but now think I’m set on a Genesis alpitude. I’ve seen people on here saying they are lighter than the PA but does anyone know how much lighter? Anyone got one they want to part with?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a 456 does all i can do with it!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Got a 456 does all i can do with it!

+1

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jeffus
    Free Member

Orange P7 rides great but the new version is quite a heavy frame.

Danno72
    Free Member

Got an orange 5 as my other bike and would love to have another orange in my shed but they are just a little out of my price range…..if only!

Danno, I’m not sure there will be much, if any, difference in weight between a Prince Albert and a Genesis Alptitude.

Alptitude purports to be a bigger hitting frame (140-160mm) than a Prince Albert (120-140mm) though, so you’re probably better off deciding on riding application rather than frame weight.

Northwind

What sort of use? 456’s a good solid allrounder at a good price.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve an 18″ 456 I was thinking of selling if you’re interested, about 6 months old and covered in heli-tape.

Danno72
    Free Member

Got some 140mm float r forks to put on the frame. It will be used for my local xc rides but love to hammer steep rough stuff when i get a chance so needs to take a beating. Been feeling a little under biked on the stumpy.

Danno72
    Free Member

Had an Inbred for a bit but didn’t really get on with it.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I’d be interested in that thisisnotaspoon, how much, colour etc . . .
    ta

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Great bike for up and down natural singletrack but the finish was terrible – after two wet rides rust was dripping everywhere.

Cynergy
    Free Member

Im in a similar boat wanting a steel frame. Looked at Cotic Soul (too expensive and cant find a used one), looked at a Cotic Bfe (a bit too hardcore and stiff) looked at 456 Summer Season (out of stock) but now leaning towards a PA.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

@Thisisnotaspoon:

How much for the 456? have yo got any pics?

email in profile.

Ty in advance

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s blue

£100?
    £30 for a scratched thomson post
    £20 for the FSA Orbit MX headset, 6 months old
    £10 for the very old (but that just means it’s never going to need replacing, they don’t make em like they used to etc) LX front mech.

In Swinley XC mode

In big slack holiday mode

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Any comments on the general condition? How is it on the chainsuck front?

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Got one of the newer 725 PA’s and loving it. Great frame.

rustler
    Free Member

An std Inbred works very well with 130mm forks.
    Cheap, nice ride.

Baldysquirt

Cynergy, I hear the Bfe is no more harsh than a 456; if anything less so. The two guys I know who have them think they’re great and use them for everything. One of them had a Soul before and doesn’t find the difference between the two ride qualities that marked.

spock
    Free Member

Get a Dialled, you will not regret it

rewski
    Free Member

I test rode an Enigma Ego Steel at the weekend, absolutely amazing, very light and responsive. I also test rode the Ti version which to be honest wasn’t as much fun. I went to the Enigma open day on saturday, great bunch of guys, met the frame builder, actually held the raw steel and Ti tubes they use, the weight of the steel was incredibly light.

Benji from ST also gave the St Ego raves reviews, I’ll be ordering mine soon I hope.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/index.html

Cynergy
    Free Member

Decisions decisions for me then. Do I go PA or Bfe !?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s in my parents shed at the moment so can’t check, but it’s never jammed the chain as far as I remember, either it’s been cured in the design or I just take more care of my bikes so they don’t chainsuck in the first place.

I bought it on here last year and it came out the box looking pretty much as new, I’ve ridden it at Swinely for ~6 months and had a trip to Spain with it then I’ve spent the winter on the singlespeed so it’s not been used a huge ammount.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Anyone bought a custom build from here? Good value/service?
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk/custom-builds/custom_builds_examples.htm

tonyd

I built up a Cotic Soul pretty much entirely from the classifieds on here. If you keep an eye out there is quite often a Soul frame being offered, depends how long you want to wait!

jameso

new Alpitude with taper-fork compatible XX44 HT and 853 DZB top + down tubes is about 5 1/4lbs in a 16.5″

jameso

rust comments – new / 201 Latitude and Alpitudes are also internally ED-coated against rust, come from a different factory and have different paint.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I’d be seriously tempted to buy that off you if it was in my size. What are they like with 120mm forks on as I’m thinking of building one up with a loads of old bits. The frame is steel but is it fairly light? I don’t want to build a tank! Thanks!

Roblilly
    Free Member

My Bfe feels better than my inbred by miles. Same build so I can compare the 2. Not at all harsh and I am 40!

wheelie

yes James the 853 latitude looks stunning…………..is the back end more comfortable than the previous model.

Danno72
    Free Member

The BFE looks more quite small, like a dirt jumper or is it the build that makes it that way? Is it a good xc/trail bike?

jameso

“is the back end more comfortable than the previous model”

Yes, noticably i found on a back-to back on hardpacked rooty trails here using same wheels / tyres, forks and seat / post. more difference than i expected. 16mm dia heat-treated stays i/o 19mm non-HT. some of the comfort comes from the taper oval TT, a slim 29.8mm round section at the ST but a wider section at the wider HT.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not light, not heavy like my old DMR trailstar, but not light like my sanderson life, think its a few ounces over most steel frames as it’s for 4-6″ forks whereas most are 120-130mm.

120mm would be fine, I prefered the handling with the Menja’s and ran them quite soft so more like a 120mm fork than 130mm. With 6″ forks it felt like a tanks, with 4″mm forks it felt like the fork was really holding it back.

It’s an 18″.

Roblilly
    Free Member

Bfe has the same Geo as a soul. its just that people tend to sun one size smaller than normal to get the extra standover etc…

moonboy
    Free Member

totally smitten with my PA 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Love my BFE, had a 456, and an 2009 orange P7, BFE is way better, feels so good flat out through rock gardens and the like.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t buy the steel is more comfortable thing,

456 – stiff, may as well be alu almost, but has a bit of twang when pressed through rock gardens.

Sanderson life – noddlier than a noodly thing in a noodle bar.

Neither is a bad thing, I can’t see myself ever selling the Sanderson, and the 456 is great (but I’ve bought a Pitch so no longer need the jack of all trades hardtail). But the sanderson definately feel’s very different through rocky and rooty singletrack.

Cynergy
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking the build quality and finish on the Cotics is better than PA frames ?

toys19
    Free Member

Haven’t seen a PA so cannot comment, but the BFe build quality is excellent. I don’t think that’s the issue really as you do not hear of many failure’s in the Dialled or Cotic camp. I think it’s about lust/desire. The BFe rings my bells and adds to the riding experience through transcendental self belief, other’s will get this from Dialled.
    Basically I am saying that logical analysis of bike purchases is pointless and senseless. Once you have established the reliability or lack of practical issues then go with your gut. (as in – I would never buy another on-one after the hideous chainsuck issues, and I hated the P7 after the drop out issue, whereas the BFe has legendary geometry…)

rewski
    Free Member

If you want quality build and finish you need to check out the fillet brazed version of the ego, smooth as a smooth thing wrapped in silk – stunning.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Steel hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.