Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Steel frame repairs in West Sussex, any recommendations?
  • control67
    Free Member

So today I decided to brave the drizzle and go out to Whiteways for a little blast after spending the last week sorting ahonking rear brake out. I was riding a short, footy downhill section and squeezed the rear brake to settle the turn whilst leant to the left a little. It must have coincided with a root or something because the rear end locked up.

On stopping i looked at it, first thought was the rear brake had seized or the rotor warped so I removed the calliper, that made no difference so I thought bad buckle, but I hadn’t felt anything hit the wheel and it didn’t look out of shape. Then I noticed this:

That should be straighter than that.

There’s a nice little dent, but no sharp creasing:

I know it’s just a 45650b but I’m attached to it, it was my first bare frame build and has also been on some good tides with me so I’d like to keep it if possible. So, STW hive mind, can this be fixed, if so anyone to recommend and would it be worth having a brace added between the chainstay and seatstay to counteract braking forces?

Thank in advance, also a big thank you to the group of guys who were out riding and stopped to check if I was ok, hope you had a better ride than me fellas!

m0rk
    Free Member

O-O have the ‘new’ frame at £180 at the moment.

Any repair will surely cost as much (or nearly)

frankconway

Enigma are local to you.

breadcrumb

I’d try warranty, worst they can say is no.

control67
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that warranty is probably a no go as I bought the frame used, I have looked at replacing it but they are charging an extra £50 for the raw finish and I’m sure that they were selling for shell of a lot less a short while ago. Maybe I’ll just wait for another of their weird sales to come up.

control67
    Free Member

So LBS has basically said ‘not worth it’ and I’ve fired off an email to On One’s customer service for advice. I was hoping it could just be a case of heating and bending back on a jig and maybe adding a brace but most repair places seem to want to replace the stay.

In the event of a new frame needed there’s a DeeDar frame on eBay that looks ok and might be got for less than a new 45650b frame. Otherwise it will be a case of waiting out the next sale or looking for an alternative but there’s not much else in the OO price bracket.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Steel frame repairs in West Sussex, any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.