Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Steel frame MTB wanted , Pipedream Scion any good ?
  • stennah
    Free Member

Hi I am deliberating about getting a steel framed mountain bike and was looking at a Scion ? or are there better frames out there ? I have £250 to spend on a straight steerer frame all advice greatly welcomed

fattyre500
    Free Member

Love my on one inbred and they’re great value.Handles superb and has bags of space for big fat tyres.They’ve been churning these out for yonks so they must be doing something right!

rogermoore

Bought my Scion off here 2nd hand. It’s used and abused as my winter bike but I love it to bits.
    1st and only steel bike I’ve had so nothing to compare against, but the Scion is comfortable and springy and the slim tubes look the biz. I’d recommend.
    RM.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Loving the angles on my new NS Eccentric, finding it climbs better than my old on-one frames, plus seems to have the perfect amount of flex up front to keep things tracking in the twisty stuff without breaking my wrists. Seems to fit like a glove too.
    You could buy a 2015 cro-mo version and run a reducer headset?

Having said that, Pipedream have always looked good value for money

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks everyone I have my eye on the Scion but a mate has a Rock Lobster going on the cheap and it is quite tempting I have tried an inbred,prince albert and duster I found the duster my favourite but cant find one 😥

h4muf
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bZNKZf]pipedream 1[/url] by h4muf, on Flickr

Loved mine,sold it on here and still regret it 🙁

stennah
    Free Member

She is a belter hope you got a good price for her

StirlingCrispin

I have a Pipedream Scion (and a Cotic Soul – long story – and have had several Inbreds plus a Sanderson Life, Airborne Lancaster and others).

The Soul is my favourite but I snapped the chainstay last summer. While getting it welded I bought myself a Pipedream Scion – it was nice but it just rode heavy compared to the Soul (it doesn’t float like a Soul – probably due to the heavier back end). This weekend I built the Soul back up and just grinned as I rode it.

Inbreds are great frames for the money – but with a longer top tube than the Soul/Scion. The Inbred is great fun on flat singletrack – there are times when it just comes alive and makes you laugh. But, I find the top tube a wee bit long on steep stuff (20″ Inbred compared to a
    19.5″ Scion). So, it really depends what type of riding you do. That said, a smaller Inbred would probably solve this problem.

(Having ridden the Soul this weekend I’ve decided I don’t really need a Stanton Slackline, although I still want one!)

And If anyone is wondering – I ripped the Life’s mech hanger open three times, which got expensive. And I snapped the dropout on the Airborne – which was the most enjoyable frame ever.

breninbeener

Should the need arise, I have a Voodoo Wanga 17″ steel frame, brand new in a box

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The bike below is my old Scion, really liked it. Not totally sure why I sold it at the time.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

£250 for an 853 frame is a bargain, wish they had a plus sized frame!

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your advice I’ve managed to get a Sirius for £175 in green I’m well chuffed, cheers all

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Steel frame MTB wanted , Pipedream Scion any good ?’ is closed to new replies.