Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Steel City DH who is going or entered?
  • pinhead
    Free Member

Anyone going to this event?

wonder if this chap will be going?

orange225
    Free Member

Apparently he is

sambob
    Free Member

Depends on the weather and if I pass my driving test or not, but hopefully I’ll be over to watch.

andeh

I’m entered. I went up yesterday for my first proper ride of the track, it’s running very fast at the moment.

I would have stayed to help out in the digging last night (sorry guys 🙁 ), but after 5 hours knocking out laps, I felt a little beaten up. The hardtail is a cruel mistress.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Check

sircharles
    Free Member

Yes indeed I am entered this year 8)
    I cannot wait should be an exhilarating race

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If anyone wants a cheap women’s entry let me know..

Tracey

Abigale is in again. She rode the track on Saturday and was suprised at how dry it was. If you are there give her a cheer. She will be on a pink Giant Reign

Last year but same bike

Duane…
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Went to check out the track last Saturday, and to be honest I’m a bit annoyed I entered, as I didn’t think the track was all that great, and £25 isn’t exactly cheap.

As long as you can get over all the jumps etc, above that level of people, it’s going to be pretty much down to how fit you are.

Ah well, hopefully the atmosphere will make up for it and it’ll still be a laugh.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m there but marshalling

maxtorque

Duane

As long as you can get over all the jumps etc, above that level of people, it’s going to be pretty much down to how fit you are.

Er? Doesn’t that describe just about any DH race? 😉

Duane…
    Free Member

No, because, firstly the jumps are all small, and secondly there is pretty much no technical stuff.

It’s a lot flatter than most “DH” tracks, so carrying speed is a lot more about how hard you can pedal rather than how willing are you to stay off the brakes/get through the root section etc etc.

IMO 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My money is on a 29er to win

matthew_h
    Free Member

Mine is on a 650b. Most likely a Bronson

andeh

Ride it on your hardtail Duane, makes it more interesting 😀

It’s a mini downhill, it’s just for fun. The money goes to keeping trails tidy and general maintenance, it’s a good cause.

Duane…
    Free Member

Whatever wheel size Peaty is on will win I’m guessing..

“it’s just for fun” – so was the BUCS DH Student Champs I raced at last weekend, I got 12 runs, with uplift, of an amazingly fun track, and a nights accomadation, for £20! (OK ok, the uni heavily subsidised it :P).

I’m fine with the money being used for trail maintenance, unfortunately it’s not a trail I can ever see myself going to ride again, unless it’s as part of a loop. Ah well, I shall turn up, pedal, and try to smile 😛

dabble
    Free Member

I’m gonna go and watch, currently got a spare seat in my van if anyone wants a lift from Huddersfield way.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Jeez, what a misery. Why don’t you offer your entry up for someone who might actually want to race.

Duane…
    Free Member

Haha, sorry, that has come across properly miserable hasn’t it!

Nah I am looking forward to it, maybe just after the awesomeness of the track I’d been riding the day before I was less “stoked” on the track when I rode it on Sunday than I otherwise would have been 😛

Tracey

If previous years events are to go by it will be a great day out for everyone

Duane…
    Free Member

Yeah, from videos I’ve seen it looks like there’s a decent turn out so hopefully there will be lots of heckling/hollering to get everyone going!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Duane… – Member

unfortunately it’s not a trail I can ever see myself going to ride again, unless it’s as part of a loop.

Grenoside/Wharnecliffe/that-part-of-the-world-in-general is a hidden gem, with loads of peachy singletrack.

sshhh! – keep it quiet though…

…maybe just after the awesomeness of the track I’d been riding the day before I was less “stoked” on the track when I rode it on Sunday than I otherwise would have been

the beauty of a Dh race in Greno is the easy 10min walk to the top*, who needs uplifts?

(*it’s the future of Darnilling ah tell thee)

dannybgoode

I’ll be there in a spectatory capacity. You looked like you were enjoying it last w/end Duane – even the close encounters with trees!

Note the entry fee is not just going towards trail maintenance but towards a trust actually buying the woods to preserve them for MTB’s and others to use in the future.

‘The Greno Woodland appeal is an on-going fund raising campaign, where the local community is attempting to raise £1 million to buy the forest back.

This would secure the woodlands use and maintenance for years to come, with Mountain Biking being one of the many activities in mind. All profits from the race will go directly to the Wildlife Trusts appeal.’

The prizes on offer aren’t bad either.

Cheers

Danny B

Duane…
    Free Member

“Grenoside/Wharnecliffe/that-part-of-the-world-in-general is a hidden gem, with loads of peachy singletrack.”

I know, I was talking about this track specifically 🙂

andeh

Is anyone doing the fancy dress? I have ideas, but they may compromise stability 😯

Duane…
    Free Member

Thinking about it, can you sell the race entry? It’s not the best weekend for me..

PiknMix
    Free Member

Having just found out this is happening in the woods my sisters overlooks I’m going to check it out.

ridesheffield
    Free Member

Entries are non exchangable or refundable – I think they migght have gone to the timing guys already too.

Duane – Its a mini DH – ideally suited to trail bikes (though it is roughing up) We know its not big and gnarley but it is fun and flowy and its as much about having a good day out as anything else. Few big names to watch too i hear!

matt007
    Free Member

Any pics or video’s of this years track anywhere? Im entered, but wont get to see it till the day, just interested in what the track is like.

Jumps? drops? rock gardens?

Baldysquirt

I’ll be there manning the ride sheffield stand it seems; other years I’ve marshaled and had a grand old time.

andeh

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f3Rdx2Kn4w[/video]

cp

I’ll be watching. Was going to enter, but one minute 20 entries left, 5 mins later – none 🙁

sircharles
    Free Member

Not long to go now 8)

simonm
    Free Member

I’ll be there with my team 😉

Tracey

Forcast looks good. Will be there early with Abigale

Duane…
    Free Member

Did anyone hit Peaty’s drop last year?

Tracey

If thats the drop to the finish line then there were loads hitting it.

simonm
    Free Member

Nope. Its the Big F*off one to the side of the bombhole into a bigger lower one.

Duane, I’m not sure the landing is still there ???

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s not the drop to the finish line, it’s further round (not on the track!).

I’m entered, will be roughing it on the hardtail

Duane…
    Free Member

So after all the previous moaning, I actually had an awesome time, track was awesome fun, I guess the racing atmosphere and crowd helped!

Oh, and I was the guy yelling “pedal you fairy” at most people 😛

How did everyone get on? Managed 13th in seniors which I was happy with 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Steel City DH who is going or entered?’ is closed to new replies.