• This topic has 91 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Big-M.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Steel City DH
  • ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Had a good downpour last night down at the bottom of the hill but I reckon it should hold up okay. The surface has bedded in nicely. We are forecast more rain on Thursday and a bit on Saturday afternoon but I hope the prediction is as accurate as the previous weekend! Was bloody lovely in the peak, even the top of foulstone road was dry.

flyingmonkeycorps

No Hora, the race is definitely on barring weathergeddon – the organisers are deciding whether to use the red or black option near the bottom of the track on Friday, as far as I know.

Tracey

Abigale is going up there tonight if the weather holds so will get some feedback from her on the condition.

chris85
    Free Member

Suppose to piss it down proper Sheffield way rest of week, them tracks will be completely different to how they were riding last weekend…Will be hard going pedalling through the gloopey sticky clay! Can’t understand why they don’t do it wharncliffe side at least it’s gravity fed on that hillside and actually is ‘Downhill’!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

As the money all goes to grenoside. And wharncliffe side could be too tech for some riders.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah the whole point it it’s very inclusive – pretty much anyone can ride the track. Plus all the money goes to Greno. Plus the Steel City track is great for spectator. There’s plenty of “proper” DH races to do if that’s yer bag.

ahwiles
    Free Member

chris85 – Member

Can’t understand why they don’t do it wharncliffe side at least it’s gravity fed on that hillside and actually is ‘Downhill’!

because: it’s great for spectators, kids, and first-timers.

s’why it’s so popular.

(that and Sheffield Wildlife Trust have been super helpful, the Wharncliffe land managers have been not quite so super helpful)

grenosteve
    Free Member

Hey grenosteve, saw you drive past my place the other day, quite the recognisable vehicle that T4.

Sure is, especially when it’s leaving a trail of diesel behind it! 🙁

Looking forward to watching the racing, it should be ok if we just have light showers this week instead of a full on downpour!

I’ve not been on steel city since the re-surface, but the pub run is silly fast now. 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

(the Wharncliffe land managers have been not quite so super helpful)

And considering Chris calls himself a mountain biker, its a joke.

Tracey

Race order and numbers for riders are now up in advance. Abigale is 413

flyingmonkeycorps

413. I’ll make sure and give her a shout. Does she prefer Abigale or Abi?

Tracey

Thanks for that, she isn’t bothered what she is called. She will be on an Enduro and wearing a Pink helmet and bruises from last weekend. I will be the one whos isn’t wearing a pot on her foot, at last, but cant go on my bike yet. That’s my excuse for not entering. Local weather forecast is looking OK at the moment.

christhetall
    Free Member

Just out of interest, is the course likely to include the black gap jump (i.e. before it splits properly into black or red). And does the route continue into the bombhole, or stop where the worked sections end.

Now admittedly I pootled down it at a fairly pedestrian pace, but didn’t notice any difference in difficultly between the red and black sections, but the gap jump is way beyond anything I’d attempt.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

christhetall I think the gap before the split is definitely in but they provide alternative run arounds for anyone not brave enough.

I still haven’t heard which finish they will be going for but the track does end in the bombhole. Not too bad of a drop in though really.

flyingmonkeycorps

There is a chicken run for the gap jump. I believe the decision on which part of the split is used will be made when taping tomorrow. There’s also a chicken run (not quite so steep) into the bombhole, but it’s a pretty straightforward roll / drop anyway depending how you feel.

I’ll be marshalling somewhere, dunno where yet. Feel free to bring me cake.

Stevelol
    Free Member

The gap is a lot smaller than it has been, you can pretty much roll over it if you’re going fast enough.

Saying that I still didn’t have the balls to try it on Sat 🙁

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m betting they’ll take the usual track

craighill
    Free Member

The gap jump is so easy now the run in has been smoothed of, the landing is a little higher but a few cranks in before and you’ll sail over. I think they will be using the usual red route as there is no chicken runs as such on the new black section

flyingmonkeycorps

Using the black apparently, but there will be chicken runs. Good for me, my marshal point last year was on the red side of the split (I think) so should definitely be a different view this year.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So black is left before berms, over rocks, right, double, straight onto red again, jump berm jump berm berm, drop into bowl?

flyingmonkeycorps

No idea, I’ve not actually been since the rebuild 😳 Just saw on Facebook that they’re using the black.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

In that case it’s the same until the above

muzzle
    Free Member

They’ve just confirmed that Ratboy will be racing tomorrow too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thinking of taking the kids to watch this (6 and 8 and 11 months). They met RatBoy at Farmer John’s last year and they’d love to meet Peaty too. The problem is that it’s at least a 3 hours round trip and they’ll probably not want to stay for the whole day. Is there other stuff for young kids to do/see nearby?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/sn7N7Q]Ratboy and the kids[/url] by stilltortoise, on Flickr

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Butterfly house?

Pook

Dan, they can look after Isaac. We’ll go to the beer tent.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Wentworth farm is near by, has family farm and play area, plus a really small hedge maze…

thepodge
    Free Member

Pook – Dan, they can look after Isaac. We’ll go to the beer tent.

sounds like a plan

Pook

You could break the journey with a visit here

http://www.chestnutcentre.co.uk/

nigew
    Free Member

I’m thinking of riding on to watch, my sister lives nr Stocksbridge, does anyone know if there is a tunnel or bridge near Station Road in Deepcar that will get me onto Plank Gate?

thepodge
    Free Member

there are a couple of level crossings I think

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

If you head in from Station road in Deepcar there is a tunnel under the railway.

You have to ride past the old station, straight through the yard and then through a stile/bike gate. Follow the path and the tunnel passes under and pops out on to plank gate.

hora
    Free Member

Weathers looking dry for tomorrow 😀

I’ll be there circa 1-2pm with a cardboard heckling/motivational/shouty placard.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Put hora somewhere on it so we can heckle back

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I like the sound of Wentworth Farm even though it’s further away from where we’ll be coming from.

Chris and Podge, thanks for the “offer” of me babysitting for you whilst you get drunk. I’ll have a think about it 😕 😆

daveh
    Free Member

11:30 it is then, can only stay till 2 :-(. Full family outing and new cowbell purchased. Wonder whether I should take the toy electric guitar again…

Pook

I was suggesting your kids could do the babysitting Dan!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆

Now that sounds like a great – and interesting – idea

wysiwyg
    Free Member

223 wearing green kit. Heckle away

nigew
    Free Member

The Podge and Electric Worry
    Many thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Steel City DH’ is closed to new replies.