Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 188 total)
  • Steel City DH 2012
  • Pook

just dug this one out too

😀

The photoset

pinhead
    Free Member

Lots of people getting air? Nah That must be a short XC race guys.

xc = getting air in my eyes.

Pook

pinhead
    Free Member

pooky pook 😆 real funny lad.

8)

Pook

😉

ton

mate of mine got 3rd……….well done Rick 8)

pinhead
    Free Member

8)

tracknicko
    Free Member

is that you in that pic pinhead??? we allowed to judge you now?

Good to see big P.Daddy getting radical in your first selection of pics Pook.

hora
    Free Member

Is that you? I must admit I liked the Hawaiian shirt idea as you went passed.

pussywillow
    Free Member

I don’t think pinhead is slagging the race off! All he’s saying is its not a DH course and I for one agree it ain’t!
    Everyone’s entitled to there own opinion, that’s what makes the forum more interesting aye!
    Sometimes DH can be “misleading” and maybe a fashion thing rather than practicality, never the less it was a good day and well organised xc race! 😆

Sancho
    Free Member

Pook, I want image 373 please

Sancho
    Free Member

and 146 too please

Pook

Sancho – dive in. The ones on flickr are the full resolution ones.

Feel free to nick it! Just stick a quid in the mountain rescue pot next time you see one.

fairhurst
    Free Member

wish i had gone now… 😕

JonBurns
    Free Member

I’m not usually a person to compete in an event and certainly never one that requires a full face helmet.

My wife and I entered this as a tribute to our friend Gareth who is no longer with us and to support his wife who had also entered following on from last years event.

I really enjoyed it, didn’t feel confident in the practice runs as not used to trying to ride fast in gloop. I had some alone time waiting for my first timed run and got myself in a bit of a state thinking about my friend. Composed myself and went out on my run, didn’t fall (bonus) but did have to put the anchors on a couple of times.

First run 2:07 (masters)

Team Hobson regrouped after the first run and took in a bite to eat, the sun came out and the tune gareth put in his Mach Chicken DH came on the P.A. We knew he was with us (probably for the food).

2nd run had dried out I knew I’d gone faster, things seemed to go a little better, had a touch more confidence, apart from being a touch front wheel heavy on the drop to the finish line.

Second run 2:03 (masters) 34th overall (not last, phew).

It was a great day out and good to catch up with friends we hadn’t seen in a while (and Nicks dog). Really friendly atmosphere, well organized. Well done to Steve Peat for being there all day and being 100% involved.

Doesn’t matter how it’s billed (xc/DH) it’s for a good cause, brings people together and can be fun for everyone.

I was race number 94 (in Green) and my wife was 77 (red/black/gold). If you do have any photos of us I’d really appreciate if you could send them my way (jon dot burns AT mail dot com) as a memento of the day (& Facebook profile obviously).

pinhead
    Free Member

I don’t think pinhead is slagging the race off! All he’s saying is its not a DH course and I for one agree it ain’t!
    Everyone’s entitled to there own opinion, that’s what makes the forum more interesting aye!
    Sometimes DH can be “misleading” and maybe a fashion thing rather than practicality, never the less it was a good day and well organised xc race!

well said

hora
    Free Member

I pointed out Steve Peat to mrshora and she said why not go over and say hello then?

Hmmmm I don’t know him and itd be abit rude when he’s chatting to somone.

XC/DH? Technically speaking yesterdays was DOWN a hill with no climbing or pedalling sections 😉 :laugh:

DHlite(tm)?

pinhead
    Free Member

An XC style DH for the win.

ohhh i suppose there was a double though hmmmm

matthew_h
    Free Member

It definitely wasn’t an XC race as it wasn’t mass start.

Maybe it should have been called a Trail Time Trial.

Whatever people think it should have been called it was a great race, a great day and top fun with some good money raised for the charity. Doesn’t get much better than that imo

CrispyCSW

Northern Downhill are running a similar format race at Hamsterley in May and are billing it as “Trailbike DH” which seems to fit the bill quite well, as it’s a timed run downhill, but on tracks you’d normally ride your trail bike on (ie bit’s of the Hamsterley Red route).

It’s intended as a less daunting introduction to racing for people who feel a full on DH race is beyond them, and the 1 day format really appeals to me.

hora
    Free Member

Some more non-bikers are coming with me next year… And bringing their young sons (cough converts)

Pook

Your Zach will probably be riding next year horbags….

hora
    Free Member

Well he was 2 this month and already agile walking along the course

Pook

True. He was more stable than you. Mentally and physically

Tracey

Jon

Is this her

Katie spent most of the time sat on a rock at the side of the last drop

She has loads of pics but most dont have numbers showing, if you were racing and want any then let us know some info, bike, clothing or any thing that will identify you and we will send them.

AnnaBurns
    Free Member

Tracey, that is me! Thank you for the photo 🙂

If you find anymore, please send to Jon’s email address above…

Thanks again

Pook

and I’ve sent this one already, but just touched it up a bit here.

SBrock
    Free Member

I couldn’t make it yesterday due to family commitments, there has been a little negativity I think but I think Steve Peat has done a great job doing this and I hope to compete in the next one, will it be later in the year? Or will I have to waiti until next year. The standard of sponsors was very good as well.

Is anyone able to ride the course? Looking at trying it out one day in the week when it’s dried out a bit?

SBrock
    Free Member

I couldn’t make it yesterday due to family commitments, there has been a little negativity I think but I think Steve Peat has done a great job doing this and I hope to compete in the next one, will it be later in the year? Or will I have to waiti until next year. The standard of sponsors was very good as well.

Is anyone able to ride the course? Looking at trying it out one day in the week when it’s dried out a bit?

Pook

It’s open woodland SBrock – best wait til it dries out though and it’s currently tipping it down.

Best also to find a local for a bit of a guide! (Though saying that, just exploring is fun)

😀

SBrock
    Free Member

Yeh ive been going to Whatny for years parkIng in the top car Park, it’s across the road from the top car park…. The Greno side and yes wouldn’t dream of going now to churn it up give t a few weeks.

Northwind

Some fab pics there! Lots worse than that on Rootsandrain…

hora
    Free Member

Sbrock that is a noble thought but never ever works. No trail is faithful. Pook first thought the Ladybower Inn cheeky was chaste.

..Already the bogtrotters had gang-banged ‘her numerous times by the coachload.

Holmbury Hill nature reserve is another that we thought was ‘hidden’ but had numerous different ‘tags’/names given by different groups..

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

What a fabulous event! Mainly because I got to meet Peaty who is quite honestly one of the nicest bike ‘celebrities’ out there….and who does SOOOOO much for the riding community.

Well done to all involved with putting it on!

pinhead – Member

And you won’t see many if any dh bikes there today either so all the ‘overbiked’ comments are out the window too.

well hopefully theyve learnt from last year not to bring the big bikes eh

I was on a DH bike – mainly because I don’t have a different bike….other than a HT, and I’m not very good at riding that over rocks without flatting. Oh, and because I didn’t read the write up before entering that said ‘suitable for mid-travel bikes’…

…..and yes, I’m sure I could’ve been quicker on a short travel bike without spikes…..but second isn’t too bad 😉

However, people up there ^ who are rattling on about it not being technical because it lacks gradient are talking nonsense. Trying to keep any kind of flow on a track like that requires so much thought on lines, pedal strokes, speed maintenance. Totally different skill-sets to just controlling speed with brakes….as I found out when I ended upside down in the gap from not being able to judge such things!

It is something different, suitable for a range of abilities, great family day out and clearly enjoyed by loads of people. Would I enter again? Maybe not, but that’s because I’m too lazy for all that pedalling, not because I would say the course is ‘easy’ by any stretch of the imagination. If anything the lack of gradient made it hard.

Pook

what were you riding/what number were you?

hora
    Free Member

littlegirlbunny – Member
    stuff

Amen 🙂

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

To all those people saying you don’t need downhill mountain bike, I was there and I saw the size of the huge jump at the start and the enormous drop in at the end! Ok it wasn’t as technical as coed-y-brenin, but I sure as hell wouldn’t take the risk without a full body armour on! And I still wouldn’t do that jump! This has opened my eyes to what downhill really is all about! 🙂

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Oh yes, did anybody else notice those hooligans half way down the course hurling abuse at the downhill racers? I was disgusted by the language they were using at each racer! 😯

pinhead
    Free Member

ther than a HT, and I’m not very good at riding that over rocks without flatting.

hmm i must have missed the rocks thing! 🙄

pedal strokes, speed maintenance

lack of gradient made it hard.

hear hear,if you didnt pedal you would come to a stop being that it is flat.

It is something different, suitable for a range of abilities

you said it!

Totally different skill-sets to just controlling speed with brakes.

yes it is xc you know!

my 2peneth again is that mucho respect to who built organised the event and great for the charity.
    but lets next year make a downhill event that would be great,

ahwiles
    Free Member

Oh yes, did anybody else notice those hooligans half way down the course hurling abuse at the downhill racers? I was disgusted by the language they were using at each racer!

(i think) i was (marshalling) right next to them.

i din’t really notice any bad language, most of their shouting was along the lines of “DO A WHEELIE!”

one of them had a vuvuzela – which saved me the effort/earache of whistling for a while…

hear hear,if you didnt pedal you would come to a stop being that it is flat.

that’s not completely true is it, a few guys got down quite quickly without chains…

next year make a downhill event that would be great,

maybe you’re right, if you can find a friendly land-owner with a ‘steep’ venue, i’m sure the organisers would love to hear from you.

(there’s enthusiasm for a ‘series’ – a good choice of venues would help make this happen)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Steel City DH 2012’ is closed to new replies.