Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Steel Cindercone (original) – worth getting?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Not sure of the year, but a mate is thinking of selling on his Cindecone, it's steel, and a murky greenish biege, nothing of a colour model. It's never been off road, and until recently unused – it's not mint as his son used it for six months to cycle to the station and back and neglected it during that period.

I'm tempted to make him an offer – but not sure if I'll just be adding another pile of tat to my shed! 😉

So, are they any good, worth getting – shame it's not disk.

Any idea of apprximate value?

?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Sounds like a 1996 "Ganges green" model. would have had Curve cantilever brakes, maybe Curve cranks too, silver/grey project 2 forks, 8 speed with Gripshift & XT rear mech, Mavic 221(?) rims, Impact headset and Velocity stem. Retailed at around £695. Value now would vary emormously, but kona hold their value well and even a completely fubarred bike would be worth £100ish for frame and fork alone. Check Konaretro or Retrobike for more info.

woodsman
    Free Member

A bit more info – it's 96/97 and had the P2 forks swapped out for 'Ballistic' from almost new according to the owner. Otherwise sounds as you describe.

Jerome
    Free Member

If it fits you well will be a nice bike.
    A ride a steel marin of a similar age and really like it.
    Nice steel and steep angles for sharp handling.
    If you get it put rigids back on it.
    Cheers
    J.

thepodge
    Free Member

i love mine but its been stripped to almost nothing, made singlespeed and is my town bike.

woodsman
    Free Member

I'll definately get some P2 forks for it, if I get it.

Surfr
    Free Member

Yup p2s for 30 quid tops from retrobike or eBay and away you go. I singlespeeded my 94 and loved it.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Old Konas Rawk, nothing like them for snappy handling and singletrack thrills IMO:

kimbers

new p2s have longer a to c or something, the 97/98 will be set for 80mm forks

ive got a 97 lava dome that i commute on 10miles every day its fast light, comfortable and loves steps and high kerbs 😉

have also run it with 100mm bombers on the marin rough ride and it handled that pretty well

it just looks best with the old school p2s

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

new p2s have longer a to c or something,

Aye, for best handling you need 80mm forks, or 420mm axle to crown rigid forks. I ran mine with 100mm forks for a while trying to make it into the do it all trail bike it will never be, mucked the handling up too much for my liking. These days I know that rigid or v short travel suits it best.

woodsman
    Free Member

How do I identify the different types of P2 forks then?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If its new and the a-t-c is unstated, assume 440mm. Hunting down short s/h forks can take a while, but worth it IMO. Took me a year to find some 420mm a-t-c RC31s.

pebble
    Free Member

I have a set of VGC 1996 Project 2 triple butted forks for an 18" Kona available with 143mm threaded steerer.

If you get the Kona and want to keep it retro, I also have the following brand NOS Kona parts available.

Kona Control Centre headsets 1 1/8"
    Kona Curve brake sets
    Kona dog collars (cable guides)
    Replica 1996 Kona decal sets including the Cinder Cone
    Original 1996 Kona brochure with the Cinder Cone in – not for sale but can scan you a copy
    MBR review of the 1996 Cinder Cone again not for sale but can scan you a copy

E-mail robin.stones@tesco.net if interested in anything

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The '97/98 is ahead, not threaded though, isn't it?

woodsman
    Free Member

This is def a 96, pretty sure threaded. Pebble, I'll know in a week or so if I'm getting the Kona, maybe sooner, if you're in no rush to move the stuff on. The forks sound spot on, so a provisional yes on that – I'll drop you a mail too.

Cheers

Pete

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Those original grey triple butted numbers are they best they ever made too. WAY better than the plainguage heaps they make now.

woodsman
    Free Member

🙂

Rex
    Free Member

go on, give us a full pic…. 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

There's some shonky additions which I need to remove first – will do in time! 🙂

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

oooooh! Looks nice.

I once gave away a looovely retro kona, can't for the life of me even think which model…

clubber
    Free Member

That's a 94 or 95 (95 if I had to put money on it). Looks nice. Not as nice as my 95 Kilauea though 🙂

(repainted obviously. Was pearlescent White originally)

woodsman
    Free Member

'96

You've lost your deposit! 😉

WBC

I would have put money on it being a 95 too as I have owned my 95 'cone since new and it is the same colour/graphics. Whatever year it is, it is a lovely bike to ride and I will never get rid of her!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, steel blue one was 95 (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=64766 and gange green was '96 (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=51973. Kona brought out an additional colour option for late 96' – cherry red – I had one – lovely 😛

woodsman
    Free Member

looking at the link, it must be a '95 then! Exactly that bike – less the proper forks!!

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Thanks for the catalogue links – found out the one I gave away was a '96 Hahanna. Not worth a whole lotta money, but fun! Hope the new owner is enjoying it!

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

i had a '96 cinderdcone Pete, best handling bike i've ridden; buy it!

woffle
    Free Member

My Dad's got a 1991 (I think) Kona sat in his garage – completely stock, Suntour groupo etc. Few scratches but I don't think it's done more than a couple of hundred miles. Not sure whether it's a Lavadome or Cindercone – might see if I can get him to bring it up when we see the parent over xmas…

woodsman
    Free Member

I've got it Jim!

:0)

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

A mate brings this round for some spannering every now and then.

I don't really get the excitement about these old bikes, maybe as i was't riding in that era.

How old is this one, cheers.

brack
    Free Member

Retro rides….. go for it mate!!

corroded
    Free Member

The bike I wanted (and still do) above all others was an early 90s Cinder Cone with splatter paint job. So much! But that Cinder Cone looks great Woodsman.

Reluctant
    Free Member

That is a 95.Looks ace, Woodsman; mind me asking what you paid for it?
    Now , you lot, stop posting pics of your lovely Konas….you're making me jealous! 😕
    SLW….that Explosif looks like a 1990 to me. With the rare Track 2 forks.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Cheers Reluctant.

tang
    Free Member

1990 explosif. i had that bike. sold it on….however the other day i was driving locally and saw and old guy riding it! def mine as it had a shit silver flexstem! hoping to spot him again and make him an offer, 18" frame and was a revelation.

Blower
    Free Member

buy it buy it!!

Kato

I still have my 98 Kula in orange. Love it and I like to think that 98 is retro enough to join in!

Paint's really tatty now though, thinking of having it resprayed, but where would you source the decals from?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Repro decals from the man called gil-m on the Retrobike website – it's a mine of useful info over there!

woodsman
    Free Member

pebble – have emailed you a couple of times, no reply?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Steel Cindercone (original) – worth getting?’ is closed to new replies.