• This topic has 39 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pongolak-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Steel bikes
  • boxelder

Not that it was planned, but soon, I’ll only have steel bikes (again). Replaced the Ti CX with a steel ‘gravel’ bike. Breaking down the carbon FS as it doesn’t get used enough. New Solaris frame, releases the old one to become my SS (in place of On One Scandal).

Happy with them all – maybe I’m just an old grumpy luddite.

Anyone want to buy an XL Santa Cruz Tallboy frame (Mk1) or very well used Scandal frame in XL?

p.s. forgot, I have a carbon roadie, but don’t really use it anymore.

p.p.s. Most interesting post of the day award on it’s way I assume 🙄 😀

scotroutes

I always thought steel frames were just for folk that couldn’t afford anything better.

joshvegas
    Free Member

By accident mine are all steel

Except aluminium commuter and carbon road bike.

nickc

one aluminium one carbon, I couldn’t care less about what my bikes are made of TBH, comes about …nth on the list of things I look for.

But, if it makes you happy, crack on.

cjr61

Dropped you a ‘i can’t afford it, yet still want it’ Tallboy email!

dannybgoode

I only ride steel frames. Love the way they ride and look and for my portly but authoritative build they’re perfect.

@SR – you’ve clearly not looked at the price of a custom 853 road frame. The technology in Reynolds tubing is arguably more advanced than anything in carbon fibre.

oldnpastit

I’ve owned some really nice steel frames (still got them) and also some really nasty ones that just felt ridiculously stiff and were not much fun to ride, no matter how hard I tried to tell myself otherwise.

I also have an aluminium CX bike which is awesome, and a carbon road bike which is also awesome.

In other news, all generalizations are false.

TiRed

Have steel, alloy, carbon and titanium bikes. All good, all serve different purposes. I’ve said it before here but…

geometry = handling
    tube diameter = stiffness
    material = weight

My time trial bike is steel (including forks). My cross bike is titanium. My winter bike is alloy and my mtb is steel. Road bikes are carbon or steel. Titanium is basically lighter steel.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I was a big steel/titanium HT fan, courtesy of brilliant Colombus Nivacrom and Moriati Ti frames.

But now with the comfort of longer travel and bigger volume tyres I prefer a very stiff HT platform that doesn’t feel like it “wraps itself” around trees.

Yes a steel can be laterally stiff while being longitudinally resilient but in reality, the delta is very small IME.

northerntom
    Free Member

I have carbon, alu and Steel.

Honestly, if my carbon bike was made in alloy, I would have preferred that, even with the (minimal) weight penalty.

I think more and more bikes will be made from steel, especially with geometry changes happening so often these days, take Starling cycles for example.

NormalMan

All 3 of my off-road bikes are steel. However my road stuff is carbon.

Didn’t set out to do it like that. It’s just kind of happened 😀

mccraque

I snapped 3 alloy MTBs so decided to plump for a Cotic Solaris. I love it. It’s taken a battering and been hit by a car (with me on it unfortunately). It has a small chip to the paint but nothing more.

I’ve a couple of other carbon numbers…but love the steel.

Dickyboy

Sold my ti hardtail as it was too flexi in the wrong way, bought aluminium hardtail – my god the seat stays don’t half flex, don’t expect lifespan to be great but love the ride* All steel bikes otherwise more coz I like the look and durability than anything else.

*Prob more wheelsize and geometry related

philjunior
    Free Member

The technology in Reynolds tubing is arguably more advanced than anything in carbon fibre.

LOL. I was with you up until that point.

(At the moment, no steel framed bikes, but all my bikes have steel spokes if that counts?)

boxelder

Yeah, I didn’t set out for this to be the case. Guess it’s down to liking the Solaris (B+ and/or 29er) so much and the gravel bike being a Shand Stooshie, which is even better – presume it’s the tubing mix, but it’s even nicer to ride than I was hoping it would be.

I’ll be open to offers on the Tallboy – it is used and battle scarred, but will come with new bearings (I get them done at Biketreks) and Kashima rear shock. I’ll strip it down and get some pics. It’s XXL (XL in anyone else sizing).
    The Scandal frame is 20″, racing green and would make a great monster cross type thing.

ajantom

I’m all steel, though being from Sheffield originally I suspect it’s the law.
    Just for nicheness sake it includes a steel FS too.

Surly Krampus, Surly Instigator, DMR Trailstar, DMR , Genesis Vagabond, Transition Klunker, Dialled Love/Hate, Indy Fab SS Deluxe.

kcal

steel: 3 (2 MTB, one general purpose)
    Alloy: 2 (1 MTB, 1 road)
    I *still* have too many bikes. Each fit for purpose though.

frankconway

@ajantom – how have you built up your Indy Fab and how does it ride?
    I ask as I have a SS Deluxe with rigid steel fork as the basis for a build.

tomparkin

Pinged you an email about the scandal, boxelder 🙂

ajantom

@ajantom – how have you built up your Indy Fab and how does it ride?
    I ask as I have a SS Deluxe with rigid steel fork as the basis for a build.

Currently it’s not built up and the frame is hanging in the garage.
    It’s a 1998, so 26″ and v-brakes only. I have considered getting a frame builder to add a disc mount, but that might a form of sacrilege!

I’ve had it built up rigid with a Pace RC31 fork. That was light as anything and absolutely flew along, but wasn’t easy on the wrists!
    I also had it built up with a 100mm fork, a front disc brake and some sturdier Mavic Crossmax wheels, and that was a fun ride too.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Out of curiosity what steel gravel machine have you plumped for boxelder?

Toasty

Any idea what sort of region of offers you’re looking for with the Tallboy? I’ve got no idea what a mk1 one is worth.

MoreCashThanDash

2 of my 3 are steel – original Soul and a steel road bike I fell in love with having originally planned getting another carbon one. Just looks nicer, comfy, does what I need.

Gravel bike is slightly harsh alu, may well go steel to replace it.

Would still like a light bling carbon or Ti road bike for high days and holidays, if I ever have several grand to spare.

dannybgoode

The technology in Reynolds tubing is arguably more advanced than anything in carbon fibre.

LOL. I was with you up until that point.
    (At the moment, no steel framed bikes, but all my bikes have steel spokes if that counts?)[/Quote]

Carbon fibre is pretty low tech compared to steel alloys in terms of its basic composition.

The cfd and other R&D that goes into designing the profile of a carbon frame is pretty trick but the actual material not so much.

matt_outandabout

scotroutes – Member
    I always thought steel frames were just for folk that couldn’t afford anything better.

😳
    Although riding one of the springiest frames around does mean it’s comfy.
    I think good aluminium and carbon frames are now as comfy, and also suggest our big tyres and skinny seat posts have more impact.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Loads of steel here, Pugsley, Rooster, Charge Plug, Colnago Master X light, Concorde Aquila, Viscous Metal Guru, Ritchey Team Comp, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Fat Chance Fat Chance, 80’s Ibis, Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo. I’ve a rotted DeKerf Mountain as well.

funkmasterp

Majority of my bikes have been steel. It’s mainly because I love the look of a steel bike. Yep, I’m that shallow. Although current and only bike is aluminium.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I love steel bikes, but again it’s mainly down to the look of the things.

funkrodent

Went from Kinesis Racelight (Aluminium) to Hewitt Chiltern Audax (631). Transferred everything incl wheels from one to t’other. Love the Hewitt, beautiful ride, smoothes out the road. Even more so than 650b wheels..
    Have emailed re the Santa Cruz..

colournoise

Everything I ride regularly is steel (even down to the old Trailstar sat on the turbo). I do own one (out of 5) Aluminium bike, but it’s very retired.

No real reason other than the bikes I really liked when it came round to buying a new one were steel. Have to admit I am a bit drawn to the luddite aspect of steel frames, although the engineering thought behind them seems sound to me too.

Have never really bought into the ‘lively’ ride stuff, maybe because (apart from my vintage Lee Cooper XC frame) all my steel bikes have been slightly overbuilt (Trailstar, BFe, Rocket) and so have all the springiness of RSJs…

corroded
    Free Member

Strangely, I’m just moving on from steel. Until last year most of my bikes had been steel (with an alu Enduro and Nicolai among them). But then I bought my first carbon frame and then another. I’m not sure if I’m going to regret selling my Shand 29er but I’m currently enjoying my carbon phase. I do know that nothing looks better than steel though.

mcnultycop

My steel framed bike is so compliant (no idea if this is true or not as it’s the only one with 4″ tyres).

rOcKeTdOg

This looks ace https://www.instagram.com/p/BVm7SfXBb4G/

Whats your carbon roadie?

Junkyard
    Free Member

2 of 4 are steel

RustyNissanPrairie

2x steel
    1x alu

Its the durability and fatigue life of steel that have always been the draw of steel but It’s the end of life recycling that puts me off carbon.

boxelder
    simondbarnes

6 steel
    2 Alu
    1 carbon

Steel – Kona Lava Dome

Alu – PP Shan

Carbon – YT Capra (and ’08 S-Works Enduro frame, redundant in the shed)

Bregante

Steel:
    My road bike (Ritchey Road Logic) and my mountain bike (Cotic Solaris)

My cx bike is aluminium (ancient but still fun Kinesis Pro5) but when it goes I can’t say I’m bothered what material it’s replacement will be made of.

RustySpanner

Eight bikes between us, three alloy, five steel.

Horses for courses, although I wish I’d gone for a lighter alloy race BMX instead of an overbuilt for me, steel trail bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Steel bikes’ is closed to new replies.