Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Steel 456 vs C456
  • teenrat

Currently got an original brown steel 456 with 140mm forks but it is heavy and like always i want a new frame. I fancy a C456 but aside from the weight loss, what will i gain for the extra £200 or so. Is it worth it?

Duffer
    Free Member

A much stiffer ride, and the option to run a 650b wheel. Oh, and you can singlespeed it without the need for tensioner (although my steel one runs a magic ratio…).

porlus
    Free Member

I did this earlier this year. Not regretted it one bit. Really really impressed with my C456. Just needed to buy a new seatclamp and headset as the head tube in the C456 is tapered. Oh and if you are using the your old seat post you will need a shim. The USE plastic ones are perfect.

Northwind

I had a bit of an up and down relationship with my C456, it was good to ride but I was pretty peeved when huge chunks of the finish fell off and On One refused to warranty it. (officially the finish is incompatible with helicopter tape, “if you want to put tape on a frame you should buy one that’s advertised as being compatible”) Course, being an On One the finish is pretty poor in general so if you don’t tape it, it’ll get mauled- it’s covered in marks and scratches everywhere I didn’t tape it.

So, that’s the first two things I’d say- don’t expect it to stay pristine, and don’t expect much from their warranty should you need it. And OK, that probably biases me a bit against it.

Ride-wise… Very nice. Much nicer than the steel ones IMO, I’ve always found them to be basically dead and uninspiring. The C is a bit softer, it’s not quite like a quality steel frame but it’s sort of similiar. Not just the weight difference.

Handling wise… Well, I never totally took to it. Something about it feels really long at the back, I know it isn’t really but that’s just how it translates to me. And it doesn’t excel up or down. But, it’s identical to the steel one so if you like that, you’ll like the plastic one. (I’ve had a Soul and now got a Ragley Ti so maybe I’ve just been spoiled… The Ragley beats the 456 at absolutely everything, and not by a little bit either, IMO)

So, after a while I stuck an angle headset in it, which made it a lot better on the way down, without too much sacrifice on the way up (better at steep climbing in fact, but worse at techy climbing, as you’d probably expect)

For the money, provided you don’t mind the drawbacks, it is still good.

boltonjon

I built a C456 last August and i’ve been mega impressed with it

It’s one of the undecalled £250 quid specials in a putrid yellow – i stuck all the components from an old Soul on it and i’ve been very happy with it

Really stiff to pedal, great at descending and i’m not overly precious about the finish as it was only £250

Bargain of the century

paver456
    Free Member

love my c456 and find it best with low fork ie 120mm or less ..

i run it with flat bars and 27speed and light ish wheels plus a reverb so its a good xc bike and around 12.2kg with spd pedals fitted

some good deals on c456 frames too

acjim
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty happy with mine. It replaced a steel 456 and a full sus (marin quad thing). Mine is built with tubeless wheels & rockshox rev 150s.

pros
    * very light
    * stable descender
    * tough (it seems)
    * fast!

cons
    * doesn’t jump as well as the steel one (but has longer forks 150 vs. 130 so that is probably a cause)
    * keeps reminding me that it isn’t a full suspension bike when it gets rocky

i’d recommend one!

P20

I found the steel one heavy, harsh but fun. The carbon is lighter, more comfortable and fun. Well worth upgrading

Junkyard
    Free Member

, it was good to ride but I was pretty peeved when huge chunks of the finish fell off and On One refused to warranty it. (officially the finish is incompatible with helicopter tape, “if you want to put tape on a frame you should buy one that’s advertised as being compatible”) Course, being an On One the finish is pretty poor in general so if you don’t tape it, it’ll get mauled- it’s covered in marks and scratches everywhere I didn’t tape it.

This if you look at the paint job funny it falls off and your shorts brushing it will rub it off

utter utter shite

Like the bike but really On one sort it is may as well be water colour for all the use it is

jimmers
    Free Member

you can singlespeed it without the need for tensioner

I needed to use a tensioner, how did you manage to get this to work?

teenrat

Thanks for the replies. This paint issue is one thing that is putting me off. I know that a bike is to be ridden but you have to draw the line somewhere! A bfe may have dropped into the equation now!

Junkyard
    Free Member

one two hour night ride with a battery attached to the frame removed pretty much all the paint under the padded velcro strap
    It is defo its Achilles heel

acjim
    Free Member

i got mine second hand, unpainted – got some new decals made and it looks ok – bit “rat bike” but that’s fine with me!

I’ve got my road bike for looking pretty.

paver456
    Free Member

not had any paint issues with mine after a yr and all manor of trails abuse

get a un painted black matt frame if a paint chip ruins your day

jairaj

another happy customer for the C456. Its ridiculously light, the carbon absorbs the trail buzz but the back end is stiff so won’t give much on bumps. I also think it works better at 120 / 130mm unless you live somewhere with steep hills and can make the most of the slack head angle.

Recently sold the frame (I got a full suss and couldn’t justify two trail/AM bikes) to my mate to replace his steel 456 and very similar comments from him. He’s very happy with it too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I had the original Summer Season 456 which I found to be a heavy harsh lump and didn’t really enjoy it at all. The C456 is superb (I have a Works Components 2degree slackset), it would be the bike I would keep if I had to get rid of all but one (also have a Cube Stereo and a Rock Lobster). Took it to Lake Garda last year (as the others all had hardtails) and it didn’t particularly hinder me on the rough technical descents, maybe slowed me down a bit being a hardtail.

As others have said, if finish bothers you, just buy the matt/unfinished black.

Duffer
    Free Member

I needed to use a tensioner, how did you manage to get this to work?

On One sold some horizontal dropouts for it.

I have a steel one, and have it set up with a magic ratio – where the chain happens to be the correct length by an engineered coincidence.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A much stiffer ride,

Nahh. The carbon is more forgiving, more comfortable, possibly blander if you catch my drift….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Steel 456 vs C456’ is closed to new replies.