Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Steel 29er/b+
  • psycorp
    Free Member

Now I’ve had my fatty for a while and love riding it I’m planning on changing my 456 evo2 for a b+ compatible 29er frame.

Looking for something with a similar reach to the fatty (large – 428mm) but in an 18″ish ST size. Cotic Solaris looks on the button atm but is there anything else I should be considering?

Cheers

EDIT: I’m planning on using bouncy forks so something like a Stooge is probably out, much as I like them. Had they got tapered compatible HT I’d probably already have one.

metalheart
    Free Member

A Solaris will only take a 2.8″ 650B+ or 2.4″ 29er (not even it’ll take that tbh).

I had to chop my front mech (shimano conventional/top swing ) to get a 2.25″ ardent to fit.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa Mk2?

boxelder

Does it need to be steel if big tyres? Genesis Tarn if not. I’ve an old Solaris, having said that, which is ace but limited to 2.8 at the rear. New ones may have more room though?

lapdog
    Free Member

Chumba URSA ? For a steel 29plus admittedly.

rOcKeTdOg

Solaris (MK2) will take a 2.4″ 29er tyre on a 35mm rim or a 650bx2.8 on a scraper rim
    Singular swift exactly the same, mine is a MK1 & the latest ones will too

metalheart
    Free Member

New ones may have more room though?

Cotic website still quoting max of 2.8″, but I think you’re right there’s a bit more room in a mkII… (I’ve a mkI)

honourablegeorge

Last Fast Forward fits the bill, more downhill intent to it than a Solaris, but it’s a bloody brilliant bike.

rOcKeTdOg

New ones may have more room though?
    Cotic website still quoting max of 2.8″, but I think you’re right there’s a bit more room in a mkII… (I’ve a mkI)

27.5×3 nobby nic doesn’t fit (on scraper)

psycorp
    Free Member

Nice frame but I’m not sure about a Last, may be a little too DH focused for me.

I’ve ruled out the Ragley BigWig as it’s a little short unless I get the large, but I’m planning on running a dropper.

Any other options?

psycorp
    Free Member

For anyone else looking for a similar frame I’ve just found the Mk2 Stanton Sherpa has clearance for 3.0+ tyres and the geo numbers I’m after. The pre-order price is too steep though in my opinion so I’ll keep an eye on it. Perhaps that’ll come down once the frames actually land.

rOcKeTdOg

Bigmantrials

Production Privee Shan GT:

Available in november apparently, this is currently tempting me away from the Transition Smuggler I was looking to buy. No geometry charts until the end of the month though.

psycorp
    Free Member

Also just discovered the Genesis Tarn frameset. A bit scarce though by the looks of it.

metalheart
    Free Member

For anyone else looking for a similar frame I’ve just found the Mk2 Stanton Sherpa has clearance for 3.0+ tyres and the geo numbers I’m after. The pre-order price is too steep though in my opinion so I’ll keep an eye on it. Perhaps that’ll come down once the frames actually land.

I must admit, the next gen Sherpa has me salivating somewhat.

Not sure that price is particularly steep since a) it has 3.0″ clearance and b) bolt through. And c) 853….

According to the website all the first (July) batch has been pre-sold and second batch seems to doing well…

I’m very, very tempted, I likes a green bike I does… 😳

fudge9202
    Free Member

Eagerly waiting on details of the Privee Shan GT also.

takisawa2

Niner SIR.9 takes a b+ on a Duslly.
    Bouncy fork also.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HLgu5E]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

Bigmantrials

I messaged Production Privee asking when they are releasing info on the Shan GT, they said it should be at some point next week, for anyone who is interested.

psycorp
    Free Member

I must admit, the next gen Sherpa has me salivating somewhat.

Not sure that price is particularly steep since a) it has 3.0″ clearance and b) bolt through. And c) 853….

According to the website all the first (July) batch has been pre-sold and second batch seems to doing well…

I’m very, very tempted, I likes a green bike I does…

Hmmm. I can see your point, it’s just the £100 premium over the original Mk1 price puts me off. Factor in the Solaris is also £100 cheaper and a Ragley Bigwig is almost £200 cheaper (the current front runner) and does almost all of the same things………

Stanton have also suffered from a few frame failures in my riding circle too (Cue the hundreds of owners stating they regularly huck theirs off 20 meter drops and its solid as a rock).

metalheart
    Free Member

Stanton have also suffered from a few frame failures in my riding circle too

You to elaborate on this? Bearing in mind my previous statement!

Bigmantrials

Slightly more info and geo charts available now at D&D cycles, they have also confirmed that the Shan GT will have bottle cage bosses.

Production Privee Shan GT @ D&D Cycles

vondally
    Free Member

David, Damien and the crew at Production Privée added this frame to the range due to provide a hardtail that can ride anywhere and in every place Whether its long distance, Enduro, Trails, Bike Park, any bike trip, it will always provide you with outstanding performance, comfort and safety.

Okay great looking bike it me does it give me safety?

Does it or is it front mech accepting?

fd3chris
    Free Member

OP dont do it ! I bought a Stache 7 and it put me off my carbon beargrease it rode so well, in the end that is after lots of persistence.
    I’m really up for the Shan as I already have a gulf 27.5 but I don’t like the part of ” 3.0 still to be validated ” .

johnnystorm

Surly Karate Monkey, Fatties Fit Fine, right?

ratherbeintobago

New El Mar (possibly called the Timberjack) will be a 29er/650B+ but beyond that there are no details in the public domain, at least until next weekend.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Steel 29er/b+’ is closed to new replies.