Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • steel 26'er to steel 29' er….hmmmmm….
  • iainc

I am considering breaking up and selling a Rock Lobster 853 to part fund a Genesis High Latitude 2×10.

the Rock Lobster has a 100mm Reba which is about 3 yrs old, and a fairly new xt groupset (3 x 10)

the Genesis has a 100mm Recon (15mm) and a 2 x 10 slx groupset with deore brakes

i’d probably keep things like Thomson stem etc and swop over.

I reckon the change would set me back around £800.

I also have an Orange 5, so the HT bike would be getting used for tight natural singletrack, night rides, muddy rides, etc, with the Orange being used for the big days out in the hills and trail centres.

Never been on a 29’er, and am 5’10” with short legs, and the Rock Lobster is a 17.5.

opinions please ?

I have not yet sought approval from Domestic Line Manager, but would like to approach her with a robust business case or not at all 😆

iainc

I think I am talking myself into keeping my money in the bank….

Sanny
    Free Member

Test ride then decide. If you can get one that fits, yoy may be surprised at how much fun they are. Personally, I’d punt most of the new parts on the Genesis and go with your existing kit knowing how well you look after it. 😀

Kryton57

so the HT bike would be getting used for tight natural singletrack, night rides, muddy rides, etc,

Surely the opposite remit for a 29er?

mattjg
    Free Member

so the HT bike would be getting used for tight natural singletrack, night rides, muddy rides, etc,
    Surely the opposite remit for a 29er?

Yeah, they’re rubbish in the dark.

(@OP try one, only you know).

Cheezpleez

Go rigid, get a Fortitude or similar. Plays to the strengths of 29in wheels and perfect for muddy xc

timc
    Free Member

I recently got rid of my 26HT for a 29HT, I played round with the idea of swapping like you have for ages, in the end I kept it simple, Sold the 26 bike whole & bought the 29er & rode it, maybe down finacially a little but a whole brand new bike made me happy!

Id just sell the 26er & buy a whole 29er 🙂

iainc

thanks all, think I will get a test ride and then decide

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘steel 26'er to steel 29' er….hmmmmm….’ is closed to new replies.