Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Steaming pee issue
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Wife’s worn out her cassette on her year old road bike, a 4600 tiagra model and I cannot find a replacement 11-30 cassette unless I fork out for gold plated Unicorn tear-dressed Ultegra version.
    Shi*mano have Discontinued the 11-30 10 speed model and left us with two choices, buy a 28 or a new mech, and a new cassette in 32. I feel truly stuffed. Anyone got supplied under the bed I can buy?

maccruiskeen

If you made the thread title more relevant you’d get replies from bits hoarders instead of fetishists and amateur urologists.

I’m not implying that by replying to this thread that I’m either or both. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d be amazed if a 32 didn’t fit with the current mech.

If not then 9speed MTB mechs should fit and be obtainable for pennies.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Tiagra has a ‘unique’ cable pull ratio and won’t play with just about anything else.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tiagra has a ‘unique’ cable pull ratio and won’t play with just about anything else.

I thought that was 4700?

mechanicaldope

I thought that was 4700?

[/quote]

Me too.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

4600 did it first, it was so good at being difficult to use they tried again with 4700!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are you sure?

FTFA: The new Tiagra 4600 gruppo brings Shimano’s mid-range workhorse in to line mechanically with the company’s higher end offerings. Tiagra 10 speed is officially compatible with all of Shimano’s other 10-speed mechanical groupsets, giving manufacturers another mix and match option

http://road.cc/content/news/31511-shimano-launch-tiagra-10-speed-new-cyclo-cross-components-and-ultegra-colour-2012

MTB 9 speed and road 10s (apart from 4700) used the same pull ratio.

But i’d be amazed if the mech couldn’t cope with 2 extra teeth as it is already.

onandon
    Free Member

A cheap 10t top jockey wheel may help if you don’t have enough room.

Cougar

Bike forum / wanted forum perhaps?

blader1611
    Free Member

The 4600 wont play with any of the later versions of 10 spd groupsets like 4700, 105 5700 as the later version have now changed the pull ratio. I ended up buying a 4700 right hand shifter from fleabay and a new mech for the same reason as the OP.

properbikeco
    Free Member

why not just get a 28T one and see if she notices?

perchypanther
    Free Member

If it smells like Sugar Puffs, you probably need to drink more.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Thanks Blader, as I said, it’s a year old and now kind of unsupported. Not fit for purpose anyone? Really peeved as we’ve been left in a limbo with this. If she needs a 30 try arguing that not being able to have one is kind of the same as not needing one honey.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Anyone inside the bike industry got an opinion? We feel railroaded and more than s little let down.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Cat AIDs?

tomhoward

£5 says she won’t notice you fitting a 28.

As for getting in a rage…meh

simondbarnes

Blimey, talk about 1st world problems.

First of all, 4600 doesn’t use any kind of unusual cable pull. It is fully compatible with 5600/5700/6600/6700/7800/7900 groupsets.

Secondly, Shimano didn’t make an 11-30 tiagra cassette. The options were 11-25, 12-28 and 12-30

Thirdy, an 11-32 HG500-10 will probably work fine

Fourthly, surely your wife is worth a 6700 12-30? They’re only about £50

shermer75
    Free Member

If it smells like Sugar Puffs, you probably need to drink more.

Mystery: solved

funkmasterp

Only pee indoors and with the heating on.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just found a 10-speed 11-30 cassette, not much used, in the garage that you can have for a tenner posted. PM your mobile number and I’ll send you some pics.

nedrapier

Not sure if I’m missing something, but you don’t need to care about cable pull ratios?

Any 10speed cassette will work unless you get one way larger than the current one. The mech will do what is told by the shifter. SRAM are usually cheap, or SLX or XT depending on budget. Trawl the usual mail order guys and see who’s got something nicely priced for you.

I was, wasn’t I? Didn’t know 11-30 wasn’t available from anyone, anywhere. What’s the world coming to etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Steaming pee issue’ is closed to new replies.