Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Steam mops
  • cudubh

Has anybody tried using a steam mop to replace their traditional bucket type one? Any recommendations if you have?

Cheers.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Yes, with mixed results. I bought a Bissell one as recommended by Which? It was amazing for the first 6 months until it started getting clogged up with limescale. Now you have to faff around unblocking the nozzle with a paper clip every time you use it.

So yes they are great when they work!

Also note that you cannot use them on laminate flooring. I tried once and it well…. delaminated the floor.

jekkyl

Actually we use ours on our laminate every week and not had any problems yet.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Ours is decent on kitchen floor and shower cubicles

cudubh

Sounds like we need to be careful with the laminate floors. What mop would you recommend?

moshimonster
    Free Member

Well not the Bissell 90T1-E we have for the reason I mentioned above. Which? even later withdrew their recommendation based on similar complaints to mine and I since removed my Which subscription! Not sure what is recommended now, but I would buy another one. The concept is excellent. But yes, be careful with laminate or Karndean etc. After the laminate fail I only use ours on ceramic tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

yes, on solid wood (varnished) floors and slate they are excellent. spot of lavender oil in the water is nice too. also very good on loose carpets.

had a could of cheap ones, but the vax one we have now is by far the best. about 59quid half price in sainsburys a few months back.

cudubh

I’ll have a look for a Vax one then. Thanks

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’ll have a look for a Vax one then.

I hope it’s better than their crappy vacuum cleaners! Vax is a brand I wouldn’t go near anymore due to poor quality. However, they do have 3 best buy steam mops on Which? at the moment, but so was mine and it turned out to be a lemon.

FWIW top dog on Which? is currently a Holme HDSM4001 for £50 which sounds like a pretty cheap experiment. Might order one myself.

passtherizla
    Free Member

our vax has been fine… for some stuff though the little scrubbers on a normal mop are better.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We got a cheap one off Groupon as I have never had one before so didn’t want to spend, what seems like to me a lot, on the main branded ones to give it a test. not used it a huge amount but it seems to work fine. Not much to them really. Not tried all the various different attachments – the window cleaner attachment looks like it will be pretty handy, and it also had an attachment to use on stubborn carpet stains.

cudubh

I saw the Groupon one but was worried that at the price it might be a bit rubbish and a false economy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Steam mops’ is closed to new replies.