Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Staying near Afan – 5/6 people. Recommendations?
  • CliveA

Getting a bunch of mates together for a winter weekender at Afan.

The place I was thinking of staying sleeps 10 people, but it's looking like there are only around 5 of us up for it.

So, where is recommended as a place to stay for 5 muddy people and their bikes, near Afan?

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Afan Lodge
    http://www.afanlodge.com/
    Best place to stay in the world, onsite restaurant and bar serving great food.

Stayed there loads of time.

CliveA

Thanks Warrenpfo.

Does look good. Tempted.

A friend has already suggested Afan Lodge, but I was wondering about finding somewhere that works out cheaper – last time I went to Afan as a group of 10 we filled a house for two nights for £36 each.

I'll see what the others think.

Any other suggestions? Houses sleeping 5 or 6 people?

backhander
    Free Member

2nd the lodge. It is great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clive, try Bryn Bettws cabins. Top of Y Wal, and pretty good.

Best to tale your own pots/pans and kives, as they're occasionally short (think people nick them)

gusamc
    Free Member

http://www.landaoutdoorcentre.co.uk/accommodation/

we stayed here, it was a 'weird' (but positive0 experience (not sure how good in winter but it worked fine in summer), mind you they appear to have priced it up a fair bit …..

sodafarls
    Free Member

Bryn Bettws cabins can work out cheap and you can sleep five in one, but since I've been staying there on visits (the last two years) we've had constant problems with the heaters not working…the last time in November none of the three heaters in the cabin worked, and as usual we had to try and dry out riding gear and heat the place with one replacement electric heater. Every time I'm there I mention it, and every time we get one replacement heater. The owner has refurbished the old outdoor activity centre on the site for accomodation so that may be a better option.

And before someone chirps up, the reason we have gone back repeatedly after heating problems is that it's cheap.

PS. Bring some bog roll and don't expect any washing up liquid.

vikingboy
    Free Member

I also feel compelled to post about a dreadful experience at Bettws cabins including poor heating, no where to wash or dry clothes, uncomfortable beds and so on.
    It was so bad we moved to the Afan Lodge and never looked back. MILES better even if it did cost a bit more.

snaps
    Free Member

Stayed here http://www.brynteghouse.com/rosecottage.html very nice place.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Afan lodge has rooms that sleep 4 people for a good rate if you ask nice they are very accomodating you have no need to drive anywhere as the trail centres are acced from the path at the bottom of the property and the bike lockup is first class. If you ask really nice there son might even show you some secret freeride trails that the locals ride and may a short cut.

Cant recommend them enough

Steelsreal

stayed here

afan forest breaks

house between afan lodge and the afan vistor centre, so you can ride to the trails and walk to the lodge for beer and food. all you need, nice safe shed and a jetwash too..

showerman
    Free Member

2nd snaps with rose cottage short ride from the house onto the trails

dazpaul
    Free Member

A group of us have stayed at rose cottage several times (snaps post ) ! Its always been very good + works out quite cheep ! big chain 2 lock the bikes up in a covered yard ! Good cooker, washing machine, even had mtb dvds !

CliveA

You lot are ace.

Thanks so much for all the useful tips. Good stuff.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Another vite for Afan Lodge. It may not be cheap for the rooms but the food is very good (and very good value).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Staying near Afan – 5/6 people. Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.