Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Staying in Youlgreave for the week. Hints?
  • cobrakai

Me, the CO and our 5 month old working cocker puppy are renting a cottage in youlgreave this week and I’m wondering if anybody has recommendations for things to do?

We’re restricted with the puppy so no bikes and massive long walks unfortunately. We’ve been to the gardens at chatsworth (brilliant) and been over to The moors above Leek so I can reminisce about Mil courses I did. Other than that, I’m open to suggestions!

martinb
    Free Member

Pint and meal in the Farmyard Inn. Lots of good walking from Youlgrave or even better walks if you drive to Edale etc. Drive to Buxton, Matlock, Bakewell etc. Only small shops in Youlgrave, so stock up on the way in.

Caves nearby. Lots to do, Enjoy

cobrakai

Had game pie in the farmyard last night. Still full! Getting OS map in the morning so will have a mooch tomorrow. Thanks!

cuckoo
    Free Member

A stroll along Bradford Dale or Lathkill Dale is not too taxing if you’re restricted by the puppy.

maccauk
    Free Member

Go to Ible and see if you can spot someone with five fingers.
    Go to Bonsall and then leave without getting out of the car.
    Visit The Old Bowling Green pub in Winster, the clique-iest pub in Derbyshire.
    Seriously though, Cromford canal is quite pleasant ermmmm sorry can’t think of anything else. I suppose living in the area I tend to take it a bit for granted. If you had the bike I could have been more helpful.

iain1775
    Free Member

Haddon Hall
    Shop for a sofa at DFS Darley Dale (or alternately take a ride on the steam train or nearby horse and carriage ride)
    Walk around Carsington res
    Dovedale
    Fish and chips & Heights of Abraham at Matlock Bath (illuminations are on at mo, illuminated boats on river sat & sun evenings)

MoreCashThanDash

The Royal Oak at Hurdlow. All week. Thread closed.

Cromford is really interesting, Arkwrights Mill, the old cottages, the Wharf, the pumping station that I’ve forgotten the name of, not Middleton Top.

Matlock Bath is “fun”, especially if the Illuminations are still on. Pop in to the 800BC café.

The Matlock Meadows Ice Cream Farm at Snitterton.

Carsington Reservoir is OK to visit.

High Peak Trail for walks, and Tissington Trail.

And wave to me tomorrow morning as my first job is in Middleton By Youlgreave.

LS
    Free Member

Go to Ible and see if you can spot someone with five fingers. Go to Bonsall and then leave without getting out of the car.

😆 but accurate!

maccauk
    Free Member

The chippy actually in Cromford Market Place is normally superb.
    Indian takeaway from The Shalimar at Rowsley is outstanding.

cobrakai

Cheers folks!

cobrakai

Went to Ladybower reservoir for a nosy. Reckon there must be some good trails around there so will be back. Nose is currently in the good pub guide for tonights dinner!

simonbowns
    Free Member

have you met anyone called Shimwell in Youlgreave yet?

😉

cobrakai

Ha ha, nope. Mind you, if any work in the farmyard then probably.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Staying in Youlgreave for the week. Hints?’ is closed to new replies.