• This topic has 30 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by st.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Staying in Peebles – need to eat out at night any reccomendations?
  • SixFootTwo
    Free Member

Staying at the Tontine and wondered if folks could recommend somewhere to eat out based on prior experience?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The Indian Restaurant on the main street has been most acceptable, but then it’s a few years since I’ve been.

allthepies
    Free Member
    johnnygooner
    Free Member

Osso restaurant just up the road from the Tontine. Not the cheapest but beautiful food

Yak

I had a great meal at the Sunflower a while back. It’s v small, so best to book.

Tracey

Tontine is good

creamegg
    Free Member

The Indian Restaurant on the main street has been most acceptable, but then it’s a few years since I’ve been.

this is a joke right? That place is the worst restaurant, of any kind I’ve ever been to.

On the plus side there’s a strava segment down the stairs to the toilets. Take your DH bike

legend
    Free Member

Hhhmmmm this seams familiar, did you post about a bad experience there in another thread recently? The Indian has always been good for me, they even have patience for any occasional drunks that walk in looking for a kebab 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

The Italian place on the bridge was good when we went, reasonably priced from memory too.

Just stay off the pish they pass off as lager such as Tennant’s, McEwan’s…It’s vile.

creamegg
    Free Member

Hhhmmmm this seams familiar, did you post about a bad experience there in another thread recently?

There was a thread 6 months or so ago which mentioned the indian. May or may not have ommented, cant remember.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

IME, that indian is expensive and the food ain’t great.

Try the chip shop in the high street – they offered to deep-fry a pie for me – class.

winch
    Free Member

IME, that indian is expensive and the food ain’t great.

+1. There has got to be a better option.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

The chippie round the corner from the High Street does a good sit in fish tea.

jamesmio
    Free Member

+1 on eating at the Tontine tbh, the food’s really good in there.

jonnyseven

Food in the Tontine is good, try the Bistro.

Agree with comments about the Indian, never had a good meal there out of 3 – 4 visits + expensive. That said it could have changed as havn’t been for years.

Chip shop as above deep fry most things. Italian is small and can be hard to get a table but the food is ok.

scruff
    Free Member

Try the chip shop in the high street – they offered to deep-fry a pie for me – class.

They dont do deep fried mars bars though 😥

patriotpro
    Free Member

They dont do deep fried mars bars though

The chippo in Innerleithen offered to do us deep-fried porridge for breakfast when we were last in. 😉

failedengineer

+1 for the chippy round the corner. Excellent.

slowclimb
    Free Member

As a proper local Osso is way above anywhere else in the town. It isnt as expensive as it might seem either, unlike the prince which can be eyewateringly expensive.
    The restaurant at Kailzie gardens is brilliant too, its only open one night a month but that is tomorrow if you are here now.
    They both have Michelin awards.
    Not bad really 2 Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurants in a town of only 10,000 people, only another 1 in Scotland.

johnnygooner
    Free Member

Amazing differences of opinion but I guess thats what we come back for. One mans meat is another mans poison and all that

For what it’s worth, which I guess isn’t much, in my opinion the Indian was dreadful as was the little Italian by the bridge. Both serving food you’d be embarressed to!! I’d agree with those biging up the Tontine itself for food and that chippy was actually ok!! But as I said above Osso is absolutely beautiful. Been a few times and although I said above its not the cheapest, the quality of both the food, drinks and service represents excellent value

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

Italian …Francos?

Pigface
    Free Member

Sunflower is ace.

ninenailspete
    Free Member

The last time I went, the Italian by the bridge wasn’t up to much.

In terms of Indian, the takeaway on Northgate (Shukria) is much better than the Prince of India on the high street. But the best bet by far is to go to Saffron in Innerleithen – it’s quite small so you may want to book, but it’s really good.

phildowling
    Free Member

Bonneys Steak house by Glentress centre, best steak I’ve ever had. 🙂

Just got back from a 2 day event there with work and it was great again. Thurs – Monday night he’s open.

slowclimb
    Free Member

phildowling – did you keep hearing a pager going off while you were there? 😉

youngrob

+1 slowclimb. Osso is the best by far.

slowclimb
    Free Member

I’ve lived here pretty much all my life so here is the definitive list on how to eat in Peebles:

1) Osso
    2) Kailzie
    3) Bonys
    4) Coltmans
    5) Mandarin Gardens
    6) Bag of Wotsits and a can of coke on a bench on Tweed Green

Everywhere else is pretty sh*t to be honest

phildowling
    Free Member

Did someone have a Pager??? OMG HE IS MY HERO 😆 😉

blurltrider
    Free Member

The food at Coltmans and Osso is lovely.

colournoise

Tried Coltman’s when we were in Peebles a couple of weeks ago. VERY good ‘bistro’ style food.

st

Used Francos for eating in and take away on holiday last year. It was ok. Not brilliant but good enough and suited a family dinner well enough. I wouldn’t give it a must visit recommendation but if you’re there for a week and want to eat out in different places it’s a decent enough place

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Staying in Peebles – need to eat out at night any reccomendations?’ is closed to new replies.