Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Staying cold deliberately – would it help you lose weight?
  • psychle
    Free Member

’tis a theory of mine that seems quite sound to me: keep yourself a little bit cold, therefore your body has to burn more energy to stay warm, if you keep your calorie intake as normal (ie. control your resultant hunger) then surely you’ll have to burn fat to create this warmth?

I’m not talking about shivering to death from hypothermia, just a general feeling of ‘chilliness’… waddayareckon STW? sound idea or bollocks?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Comprete borrocks IMO, although dieting can make you light headed – I don’t think that’s good.

But then I said that about your last weight loss thread.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

my view
    your body will attempt to store more fat to counter the cold negating your desired outcome

could be complete rubbish

Junkyard
    Free Member

stw genius good luck

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve heard this before but wasn’t sure if it was bollocks or not.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No if you feel cold you’ll probbly feel hungrier and eat more to provide energy to keep warm. People generally tend to eat more in Winter, and exercise less, leading to get fat.

I myself have a ‘Winter Belly’.

However, I’ve had it for the past four or five years now, in Spring Summer and Autumn too… 😳

ahwiles
    Free Member

give it a go, and report back in 3months.

get a few fat friends to do it too.

this is called ‘science’!

X

psychle
    Free Member

stw genius good luck

Why thank you 🙂

No if you feel cold you’ll probbly feel hungrier and eat more to provide energy to keep warm.

But what if you don’t eat more? Keep your calorie intake at the same level as you would in warmer times? Surely the extra calories have to come from somewhere, you’re effectively increasing your basal metabolic rate by staying a little cold aren’t you?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Quick google seems to suggest that you would burn a few more calories in the cold if you were inactive.

However, when biking or running your body expends lots of energy ensuring adequate bloodflow to the skin for cooling. Hence higher calorie use the hotter it is when exercising.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Simple energy balance says it’s a good idea.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If you’re looking for ways to lose weight, then one of the best ways is to look at what you were doing to put on weight in the first place.

If you’re still living essentially the same lifestyle, then you’re not going to lose weight. If you go out and exercise a lot more, change your diet, then maybe you will lose weight.

Sitting around being a bit chilly strikes me as a stupid way to try to lose weight.

ALTHOUGH

If you turn your thermostat down, but move around the house more, cleaning and doing stuff, then that may help. Very slightly.

But have a look at different ethnic body types. People in hot countries tend to be slimmer, as their bodies naturally store less fayt. People in cold countries tend to be heavier, as they need more fayt to provide bodily warmth.

One way of keeping warm in Winter is to snuggle up to someone, shared bodily warmth. I suggested this to a nice young lady who was complaining that her central heating is inefficient.

She said ‘no thanks, I’ll just get a heating engineer round to fix my central heating system’.

🙁

You can but try….

uplink
    Free Member

But what if you don’t eat more? Keep your calorie intake at the same level as you would in warmer times

But isn’t the reason that most people look for a different way to lose weight because they can’t control their intake easily?
    If you can control it exactly, why not just stay warm & eat a tiny bit less?

psychle
    Free Member

Couple if interweb articles here… general consensus seems to be that it’s a minimal effect, though it all counts right?

Article 1

Article 2

vinnyeh

The energy intensity of ice cream, according to Haagen Dazs, is about 270 Cal/106 g = 2.55 Cal/g.

And now how much energy does it take to raise the temperature of that Haagen Dazs from 20 degrees F to 98.6 degrees F. Frozen ice cream has a specific heat of about 0.4 calories per gram degree Celsius. This means that eating the ice cream will burn about (.4)*(98.6-20)*(5/9) = 17 cal/g.

This means that for each gram of ice cream you eat, you burn 17-2.55 = 14.45 calories. Or Calories
    😉

psychle
    Free Member

So eating ice cream will help you lose weight? we could get very very rich off this you know…

Kuco

Think i’d rather eat normal, exercise as usual and keep warm. My joints ache enough in winter as it is.

epicyclo

Elfinsafety – Member
    …I myself have a ‘Winter Belly’…

Don’t believe what jealous knockers tell you.

Once I had a set of those pathetic 6-packs, but after years of training, drinking energy drinks (such as Australian sports beer), I now have a large fine well developed muscle there – I call it a Monoceps.

You, sir, have obviously followed a similar training plan, and are now also a well rounded athlete.

iDave
    Free Member

vinney, think you forgot the K before the cal 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Don’t arctic explorers have to eat 7000 calories a day or thereabouts to maintain energy levels ?

A 10 day sledge patrol should sort you out

vinnyeh

vinney, think you forgot the K before the cal

It’s all in the capitalisation, isn’t it. 😉
    calories, or Calories.

Dave, my physics teacher told us that story, or a variation of, many years ago. I’m not sure what the point was, but it stuck in my mind. Something to do with the wonders of SI, and the perils of archaic systems I guess.

oldgit
    Free Member

Couple of things and I’m no scientist’ist.
    But I’m sure if you do this your body starts to lay down fat.
    And if you cool down, your muscles become less efficient your performance deteriorates and therefore you burn less cals.
    I’d say dress suitably and work harder, I mean can you honestly say that freezing yourself is an easier more pleasant option than simply cranking it up a level?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I missed this thread first time around…

I’ve just taken it upon myself to do a bit of practical science. I can confirm the following.

Sitting outside tonight in your boxxers will cause dramatic and unsatisfactory localised weight loss.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to sleep with my window open under a 5 Euro duvet from Ikea in Finland in the winter. I was quite good at being very warm with not much insulation, but I didn’t lose weight 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

theory no. 84
    – the cold causes contraction of the digestive system, notably: 1) the stomach, giving the feeling of being more full 2) the anus, causing bloating and trapped wind, again giving the feeling of being fuller

julianwilson
    Free Member

Daft idea.

Being too cold is a common lifestyle choice amongst sufferers of anorexia. It is the shivering (your body does this to warm up much as physical exercise described above does) that burns calories. Psychle, you’re in London, you must have seen people power walking in really unseasonably thin clothing?

For you I would just exercise a bit more or eat a bit less at a comfortable temperature.

epicyclo

Has anyone from here died in the last week trying this out? Or wishing you were dead will suffice… 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Staying cold deliberately – would it help you lose weight?’ is closed to new replies.