Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Staying at / riding from Youth Hostels (UK) – which are best….
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

So, long term subscribers to Youth Hotels but very rarely used them.
    It's time we did.
    So, where do you recommend as 'must do's' for the coming year?
    Cheers
    C

jobro
    Free Member

Bellever on Dartmoor Devon??

FG
    Free Member

Cairngorm Lodge is a pretty good one. It even has a lockable shed out back for bikes.

29erKeith
    Free Member

One just outside Minehead is brilliant
    bike store and washing, drying room
    great breakfast and dinners too
    good beer on site, good pub 10 mins walk
    and great riding straight from the doorstep.
    1st class, been there a few years now, great weekend everytime

Clicky

cuckoo
    Free Member

Ty'n Cornel and Dolgoch

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Tobermory

Carbisdale Castle

most of the 3 star plus ones really, there's some nice ones in norfolk too

not near riding though really, should have read the topic title properly 🙂

Me
    Free Member

2nd Ty'n Cornel and Dolgoch (for doethie valley alone)

Skiddaw house is a good ride out.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Black sail or Glen Affric

nbt

Carbisdale is an excellent location and a fab building but I've never stayed in it. Ambleside is great. Malham is excellent and the Lister Arms next door does both great food and Thwaites' Wainwright Ale, but that would be wasted on you 😉

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

We satyed in the YH at Alston when we did the c2c, cracking place!

Also the one in Kirby Stephen is an old Chapel, cracking fried breckie!!!
    Both have facilities to keep you bikes locked inside, RESULT!! :mrgreen:

marsdenman
    Free Member

nbt – Member
    Carbisdale is an excellent location and a fab building but I've never stayed in it. Ambleside is great. Malham is excellent and the Lister Arms next door does both great food and Thwaites' Wainwright Ale, but that would be wasted on you

I think you'll find I have mostly taken to drinking Silver King in our local hostelry doncha know…… 😛

Cheers all – keep 'em coming!

lunge

Second Ambleside, really good. There is also a very nice one about 1 mile from Bakewell which is worth a visit.

erny
    Free Member

Another vote for ambleside,we stay there a few times a year,great rides and pubs on your doorstep

Dalesbikecentre

Marsdenman – There are a load of independant hostels out there doing an arguably better job than the YHA's. Check outIndependant Hostel Guidefor a mahoosive list of them.

Blatant plug content – We are not a YHA but we are 4 star bunk accommodation, purpose built for cyclists in Swaledale the mountain bike play park of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. I hope the STW massive don't shoot me down for here is our website as well Dales Bike Centre

BTW The good folks who used to run Grinton Youth Hostel years ago now own Alston Youth Hostel – so I'll second those guys being truely ace.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Second the Minehead Youth Hostel… Excellent (out of town) location with trails from the door. Good food when we were there also. Just remember to take some slippers, as the warden does not allow outdoor shoes indoors & it can be a bit tricky to find if you've not been there before…

marsdenman
    Free Member

Cheers all.

DalesBikes – have enjoyed your cakes and coffee at the end of the STW Dales ride this last year – worry not, you're on the list!

speaker2animals

Elterwater, Ambleside, Keswick (though car parking is ocud), Hartington Hall, Patterdale, St Pancras, Lizard Point.

AndyP
    Free Member

Kettlewell, Borrowdale and Coniston Coppermines all lovely.

julioflo
    Free Member

Stayed at Mankinholes YHA, near Todmorden on JOGLE this summer. Great YHA and not that I have ridden MTB there, but there is good riding near there.

Ilam hall near Ashbourne was very impressive too.

lowey

Long time since I hostelled, but the ones that stuck out in my mind, and I'm sure it would be easy to make a good loop with them

Coppermines
    Ambleside (like a commercial hotel)
    Borrowdale – Longthwaite
    Honister Slate Mines
    Black Sail (superb location)
    Patterdale (excellent facilties)
    Skiddaw House
    Elterwater (handy for nights out in the Brit)
    Keld
    Kirkby Stephen
    Westerdale }
    Osmotherly } Good for NYM's

Just going from Memory here Chris, not even sure if those listed are still open.

Do you still have to do a job in the morning set by the Warden ? I always seemed to end up washing up!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Broadfold – on this years selkirk merida route. Lovely building too ….

AndyP
    Free Member

Do you still have to do a job in the morning set by the Warden ? I always seemed to end up washing up!
    nope

marsdenman
    Free Member

Do you still have to do a job in the morning set by the Warden ?

am i the only one thinking Lowey got owned by the warden 😉

Cheers, again, all!

nbt

Just had another thought, you could do an out and back ride from your house up to say Haworth YHA, we used to stay there on our Mary Townely loop weekenders, nice place

StirlingCrispin

Recent trip took in Alston, Kirk Yetholm and Bellingham.
    All really nice hostels with a good atmosphere.

I was a SYHA member for years but have recently let it lapse in absolute disgust at the way they've ripped apart the network. Thankfully, independent hostels are taking their place. Trossachs Tryst (near Callander) sponsors the local bike club AND has a bike shop upstairs!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

the smaller ,more remore ones tend to be best .avoid big ones in the lakes as they get used for school field trips and the food is shite. good ones around yorkshire dales. hawes etc.theres a corker at kirkby stephen made out of an old church.osmotherly is ok .if your doing the mary townley there is accomodation at peers clough farm which is on the route.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

torridon is reet good

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

couple of city centre belters with riding nearby in bristol and manchester – hotel quality at hostel prices – bike storage might be a concern though

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Staying at / riding from Youth Hostels (UK) – which are best….’ is closed to new replies.