Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Stava: How many KOMs do you have?
  • jwmlee
    Free Member

I have 13 but most aren’t contested.

They are very easy to generate – just find a route people rarely ride.

rewski
    Free Member

I want to try it but can’t find the app on the site strada

scaredypants

LOL – can anybody match my shitness ?

there’s a segment in California, 6.3 mile, almost all climbing that I get to ride in the middle of summer

I am 370th out of 391 !! 8)

I do hold 2 KoMs but I’m pretty much the only person to have ridden them on the same route (19 mile loop, so others do extra bits)

mrmo
    Free Member

My most popular local descents (blue pig and pecket well) have <30 riders but the standard is very high I would say.

Plus, I think DH or off road loops and routes generally are a better indication of all-round rider skill than who’s got the biggest legs?

30 riders, is not alot, a few of the local drags i ride regularly have over 70 riders and over 300rides. and i know the power is only a guide but when you see high 400s/500s Watts you know you haven’t a chance.

As for the comment about DH, unless you are very careful it is going to end in tears, that are alot of stupid people as clearly evidenced by the current legal case in the US.

scaled
    Free Member

got 4 at the moment and another 2 that are tied – I just cant do them any faster.

There’s a bloke that rides almost the same commute as me that averages ~23mph on a 10 mile TT so i’m chuffed to have any at all!

jwmlee
    Free Member

Funny how satisfying being the King of a crappy little mound can be 😀

mafiafish
    Free Member

30 riders, is not alot,

Indeed, that’s what I was saying. What I meant is that just because fewer riders have ridden a segment doesn’t necessarily mean that the times will be poorer. I’m generally top 0.5-2% on trails I’m riding blind at trail centres that have had >250 riders (supposedly more competition = higher standard) but I’m only 2nd-4th on a lot of local trails I know like the back of my hand and have <30 riders.

I’m sure it’s the same for many places with big MTB scenes making the local routes a high standard.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Crazy for anyone to take all this KOM stuff seriously……. !

and no… I don’t have any 🙁

d45yth
    Free Member

mafiafish –
    I’m sure it’s the same for many places with big MTB scenes making the local routes a high standard.

I live quite close to Keswick in Cumbria. When I was stuck for somewhere to ride or only had a couple of hours spare, the Borrowdale Bash and Whinlatter were my go to routes. I can’t take it easy on either of those routes now as I’m trying to hold on to the positions I’ve got or claw an extra few places up the leaderboards…yes, it’s sad I know. Although it does wonders for your fitness, it’s the same for those you’re trying to beat too!

mrmo
    Free Member

Indeed, that’s what I was saying. What I meant is that just because fewer riders have ridden a segment doesn’t necessarily mean that the times will be poorer. I’m generally top 0.5-2% on trails I’m riding blind at trail centres that have had >250 riders (supposedly more competition = higher standard) but I’m only 2nd-4th on a lot of local trails I know like the back of my hand and have <30 riders.

true, you really need to look at the thru traffic and rider numbers, lots of riders and lots of rides i think the standard will rise.

butcher

I have 1.

The segment is so remote that it has only been ridden by one other person. And since I walked up half of it, and still beat that rider by a fair bit, I can only assume that they sat down by the river and had a sandwich.

juan
    Free Member

wooow you people are SOOOOOO awesome.

martinhutch

None. I’m delighted with mid-table mediocrity.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Taff, you from Bristol?

Scrap that, just noticed you’re hampshire.

I’ve no KOMs, but having said that, attaining KOMs around Ashton Court and Leigh Woods is bloody difficult, and a 3rd once was my highlight (on the Swoops – now tied 7th).

I’ve managed a 20something on the climb to the gate singletrack which I’m quite proud of.

I’m of the opinion that after Bikefest and the sheer amount of riders constantly riding there, any high result is a good one.

Keeps me aiming to try harder.

seven
    Free Member

None, but then if you look at the ranking by age I have a few 🙂

so in summary – not bad for an old bloke 🙂

mrhoppy

2 out in the Alps but I can’t see them lasting long and it’d be difficult to get out there to defend them if they get beaten.

mooman
    Free Member

I never normally enter my mtb rides onto strava. But did so for 1st time after yesterdays ride.
    My point is somewhat proven. I gained 4th position on a section ridden by 32 riders .. and less than a minute off the KOM .. which aint bad considering I stopped to wait while the guy I was riding with had a piss .. I stand by my comment of MTB KOM `s.

MTB KOMS are worthless

atlaz
    Free Member

18 but most are solo or people loads slower (and I’m not quick so that’s probably not a good KOM). There’s a couple I’m quite pleased about as it means I’m actually getting fitter/stronger.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Most of em are irrelevent but the is one im proud of

Kom of the full lazy k on the witches trails as ridden in this years 10utb on 32:18 :d

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have a few that are more TT based. Main aim for me is to try and get in the top ten of most as some times are just too fast. Reckon I’m top 10 in around 90% of mine.

shortcut

It’s all harmless fun and a good bit of light competition. Just don’t take it too seriously.

AlexSimon

It’s no good saying MTB KOMs are worthless. The database needs to start somewhere!
    There are, however, loads of things that can affect MTB KOMs. Walkers, other MTBers, livestock, a nice photo opp, fall, etc, etc.

There are a couple of good local routes though that don’t really get effected by any of that though. A good 60+ riders have done the routes. The KOM is a proper fit chap, etc. If I beat the time, I certainly wouldn’t think it was worthless.

Anyway – get out my way…

RealMan
    Free Member

Think I’m like top 20 on Alpe d’Huez. Going to the Alps in September for a bit so might smash myself to pieces trying to get a few there.

But dude I got banned from Strava.

juan
    Free Member

Think I’m like top 20 on Alpe d’Huez

Wow you so my new hero being k n o b of the hill in a country where almost no one uses strava.

But dude I got banned from Strava.

Yeah well hardly a surprise. Did you try to flog yoru brakes again

superfli
    Free Member

16, all on MTB.
    A lot in Afan which I only goto about 3 times a year 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

where almost no one uses strava.

I think there’s like 15 different segments on Alpe d’Huez alone, and about 1500 entries for them..

Wow you so my new hero

😀 Who do I replace?

radoggair
    Free Member

Kom of the full lazy k on the witches trails as ridden in this years 10utb on 32:18 :d

Alright TR, let this go will you :).

I’ve got 82 KOM but expect that to drop nearly every week. Some are very hottly contested and i hold a few which i shouldn’t being the xc jey-boy that i am. Also know of a few which i should get pretty easily knowing the times i have at present.
    Strava does make some rides pretty fun and good for training. A good tool

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hahaha im hanging on to that one g – afterall you stole the rest from me 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MTB KOM `s are worth nothing. Too many sections only ever ridden by 3 or 4 bloaters.

Descents are pretty meaningless too.

The popular roady climbs is where you get the true glory.

Anything else is hollow

Still no Strava for trolls then

Pook

sainsbury’s have a good offer on tissues at the mo

andytherocketeer

1 less than I used to have.

I’m sure there’s 1 Pro XC racer that just goes out, does a warm-up, then nails 1 hill, to get KoM on every possible variation of ascent.

Next time I’ll put the start/end in slightly odd positions to prove that he’s a medal collector, and has to go out of the way to hit the start/end points.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I gained 4th position on a section ridden by 32 riders .. and less than a minute off the KOM .. which aint bad considering I stopped to wait while the guy I was riding with had a piss .. I stand by my comment of MTB KOM `s.

TBH same happens on the roads in some areas

mooman
    Free Member

..re-read my original post stalker.

Strava is a fantastic training tool. Once you know the sections on your local ride you push harder on each one. But the KOM have gotta be earned.
    Some bloater on a mtb doing a trail only ever visited by his fatter friends or some roady risking his & others lives on a descent is really worth nothing.

mudshark
    Free Member

MTB KOM `s are worth nothing. Too many sections only ever ridden by 3 or 4 bloaters.

Descents are pretty meaningless too.

The popular roady climbs is where you get the true glory.

True this. I live in the far too popular Surrey Hills area and just try to get in the top 20% on the well used road climbs. So I think all claimed KOMs should give number of riders to give them some sort of value.

I do have one KOM though with 166 riders on it – it’s not a climb though and was obtained by riding on someone’s wheel then sprinting past – a few others on that ride are a few secs behind me.

rootes1

still in the top 10% of strava times up box hill zig zig… just

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Stava: How many KOMs do you have?’ is closed to new replies.