• This topic has 40 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by loum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Starting to run for the first time – advice please
  • bagpuss72
    Free Member

A freind of mine has done lots of marathons and running in general and has offered to start coming out with me to help me lose weight and get fit.

I know there’s the MB but this is just something a bit different.

I am basically extremely unfit when it comes to cardiovascular stuff I can walk for miles and miles up mountains and be fine but half an hour on a hill on a bike kills me.

What’s the best way to start building up on the running – interval training? Also footwear?

Ta! 😛

jota180
    Free Member
    unklehomered
    Free Member

Footwear – just get something comfy. Ignore all the other nonsense.

Short trips to begin with, with 30seconds or a minute running and then 3/4 minutes walking. And build it up

post run stretches, especially of the calves.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Go to a proper running shop and get yourself fitted for the correct pair of shoes . . .

Stretches before and after. . .

Ease into it . . .

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I live in Rammy at the top of a steep hill and near the rake, my aim is to be able to job slowly up the rake without dying in the near future! 😯

IHN

grow a beard 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I reckon something like couch to 5K is as good as starting place as any http://www.c25k.com/

Wear whatever you find comfy on your feet. Try and run with small light steps at a fast cadence, rather than big long strides at a slow cadence.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I’ve vocalised my dislike of Binners beard on another thread perhaps I can buy a stick on one so no-one recognises me blundering along

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Cheers Ian and everyone I’ll have a look at those links now
    Debs x

STATO
    Free Member

Go to a proper running shop and get yourself fitted for the correct pair of shoes . . .

I thought about that, like the OP im trying to run and getting sore shins/feet. However my running ‘technique’ is more like a drunk trying to chase rolling bottle of beer than an actual run, so i cant imagine the shop will get any good info on what sort of shoes i need.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its running, put one foot in front of the other and swing your arms, its that simple. When you get tired ease off when you feel good keep going.

Shoes – Just go some where that has a few brands, find the cheapest ones that you find comfortable and off you go.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

hahahahaha! STATO I run like Pheobe off freinds, legs kicking out to the side like I’m on a sunday school picnic

emsz
    Free Member

Comfy shoes, it’s not really important whether they’re cushioned or flat, as long as they don’t give you blisters. good bra ( I use a shock absorber). Essentials

Find a flat 1-2 mile route and try to jog it, simple as that really, stop if you have to, but try to run it all. When you can do that, run it twice. Before you know it, you doing 20 miles in an evening, and drinking from streams because youve run out of water 😳

Onzadog
    Free Member

Redwoods never considered herself a runner but good shoes from a proper running shop and c25k, she actually got to a point where she enjoyed it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t heel strike. It makes the whole experience difficult and uncomfortable.

I hated it with a passion til I figured this out.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Thanks Emsz I wasn’t going to bring up the ‘additional’ support issue but been told that too or else I’ll get black eyes if nothing else! They had stuff on sale in JS Sports I think decent ones it’d come in for cycling too I guess 😛

bagpuss72
    Free Member

strike heel???????

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Is there an app for that c25k as I’ve just joined the 21st centuary and got an iphone. I’ve seen runkeeper is that any good for it too?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Go to a proper running shop and get yourself fitted for the correct pair of shoes

Did you not see Panorama last week?

Makes not one bit of difference to injury rates. Just buy the comfiest trainers.

molgrips
    Free Member

strike heel???????

I used to stick my heel out in front of me when running and rolled forward onto my foot. Each foot impact was braking me. Terrible way to run.

molgrips
    Free Member

Another pic. Don’t do this:

aracer
    Free Member

Footwear – just get something comfy. Ignore all the other nonsense.

?

emsz
    Free Member

Bagpuss I like the shock absorber as it’s not too tight around your chest like some bras can be, at least I can breathe with this one!

Molly, shut up. Bagpuss run so that it’s comfy for you! Loads of guys in my club could run Molly into the ground and they land heel first!! It’s ALL about doing it in a comfy way for YOU!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Molly, shut up. Bagpuss run so that it’s comfy for you!

That’s what I am saying!

Sorry emsz, but that was the key that made running enjoyable for me. Why should I not be sharing it? I wish someone’d told me about it when I was in school!

philconsequence
    Free Member

there’s a difference between sharing what worked for you, and telling someone else how they should do it.

i think, and apologies for assuming, that’s what emsz is telling you to stop doing. you’ve worded your post in a very authoritative way and made no attempt to explain the other styles might work better for her.

molgrips
    Free Member

there’s a difference between sharing what worked for you, and telling someone else how they should do it.

Well the request was for advice rather than experiences, and I thought my response was appropriately phrased in the form of advice.

I can re-word it if you’d like? Would it help?

The key is not putting your leg out in front. As explained.

philconsequence
    Free Member

its nothing to do with what i’d like molly…. getting arsey with me because i attempted (after making an assumption which i’m still very willing to be corrected on) to explain why emsz might be telling you to shut up seems a little odd.

whilst you’re in a bad mood with me, i might as well take the opportunity to point out that the key to running, is in fact, putting your leg out in front. otherwise you’d be jogging backwards, weirdly. and that’s not pretty.

justatheory
    Free Member

You should get a full biometric assessment and gait analysis. Wicking clothing, cushioned stability control trainers and heat moulded insoles. DO NOT run without these things.

emsz
    Free Member

Molly, then say ” what helped ME was this…” what you said reads like ” don’t do this! ”

Loads of people have no issues heel striking. Some people run like that

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If I’ve said this once etc.

I got cheap trainers off the interweb and they did me for training for and competing in the GNR (1hr 40min and I had never run before starting training). Afterwards I decided to ‘invest’ in some correctly fitted shoes from one of the UK’s most respected running shops. They are uncomfortable, give me knee pain and pins & needles in my feet. At the end of the day, you have a lifetime of wearing ‘ill fitting’ shoes and your body has adapted. Wear ‘correctly fitting’ shoes and you *may* just end up with more injuries.

Ohh, and don’t run for more than 10 minutes on your first run, no matter how good you feel – take it easy and build up S L O W L Y….

philconsequence
    Free Member

in the interests to fairness to molly

Ohh, and don’t run for more than 10 minutes on your first run, no matter how good you feel – take it easy and build up S L O W L Y….

correction: “what works for some is blah blah blah”

😉

bad fannylion!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well spank my arse!

matt_bl
    Free Member

According to Biomechanicist (sp) Joseph Hamill.

Fore foot striking or rear foot striking is just choosing the compartment for your injury.

Whichever you do, building up slowly has anecdotally worked for many people I know!

stever
    Free Member

I should stop reading if I were you and go for a gentle run, not too far, and take it from there.

Running is an incredibly simple and liberating thing. There are different ways of doing it. Some people think about things a lot, other people don’t. They’re both right.

Enjoy!

molgrips
    Free Member

Loads of people have no issues heel striking. Some people run like that

I think if you run like the second pic you are giving yourself a real hard time for no benefit.. but that’s just my opinion 🙂

Cougar

I’ve seen runkeeper is that any good for it too?

I like Runkeeper. There’s a bazillion apps though; RK, Endomondo, Strava, and so on.

emsz
    Free Member

Molly if it’s just your opinion them stop saying it like it’s some sort of fact. All I see in those pictures is people running. There’s a girl that I see on local races that has a really strange run where her hips are twisted and it looks really painful, but she’s a faster runner than me!!

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t state much more than my opinion, can I? Advice was asked for, so I gave it. I’m not the only person who thinks the same way either.

I’m sure any request for advice I’ve come across has been met with an imperative form, but I apologise if it was not appropriate. My advice is still not to heel strike, as is that of many people. And for me it was not some finer point to shave a few seconds off, it was the difference between running and not running.

The OP is at liberty to evaluate and ignore my advice if she chooses, as with all advice. That is all I will say. You may offer different advice of course.

emsz
    Free Member

Molly chillax.

You sound like one of my lecturers!! I don’t even know what ” imperative form” means LOL

Your posts just read a bit bossy sometimes( like TJ, or my dad!!)

Sorry bagpus x

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

like TJ

That gotta hurt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Starting to run for the first time – advice please’ is closed to new replies.