Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • starting to race xc again……
  • xcretro
    Free Member

well when I say starting to race xc again I mean i’m thinking about it. Until June last year it was 20 years since i was last on a bike and racing xc in and around North/mid wales at the likes of coed y brennin, beddgellert, llanidloes and also around shropshire.

I am now getting fitter again after 20 years off the bike and smoking and eating crap. only after the last 8 months back on the bike do I feel like i’m ready to race again. but not sure where to begin? the guys I ride with are not really racers. I had a quick scan over the xcracer site to see what venues closeish to me in Reading, Berkshire there was and there is IIRC a series in and around goring area which is only few miles away.

any advice or tips on getting back into racing? should I start at the bottom in the fun novice? or go staraight to the top and see what happens?

I am 39, 40 in Nov, would estimate on mixed trail surfaces and inclines/declines I can hold an average speed over a few hours of about 10-14 mph going on that meagre data would I slot in in the middle somewhere? I am quite competitive but would rather come near the back of the best cat than at the front of the lowest cat.

cheers

DT78
    Free Member

I would enter the first race in open, have a good blast and have some fun. Then check the results and see where you might have come in the sport or elite classes. The top guys are stupid fast. I am no slouch and remember checking my garmin in amazement as a rider stormed past me on a flat fire road section….yes I was doing 19mph and he passed me like I was stood still.

I have bought a 29er since then so probably wouldn’t happen now

I race open or masters depending on which is convent times normally finish mid pack in either, usually top 10% on strava for on and off road if that helps compare

robbo
    Free Member

I hope you’re entering the SouthernXC race at Checkendon on the 6th April! Its a great intro to xc racing as its dead flat and not very technical. Fitness is the determining factor at this course as its full on pedalling for 60-90 minutes.

I’m one of the organisers and in Reading too. Used to be competitive at the front of Open. Fancy a ride on Sunday?

xcretro
    Free Member

Hi robbo, is there a link to more info on that race please? Sunday is a poss, am away for weekend but could be persuaded to come back early. where and who riding on Sunday? I mix between going out on my own and also with the CTC guys.

cheers

robbo
    Free Member

http://www.SouthernXC.net or look on http://www.xcrampage.com for last years races. You just missed round 1 at Wasing near Aldermaston.

I used to ride with CTC but too much faffing really. Email me in profile to arrange a ride.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Entering Masters or Vets (cutoff varies with organiser) will see you in a mixed field ranging from the extremely fast down to the average Joe. It’s good to be on the course at the same time as the fast guys so your times are comparable (course conditions can change a lot over an hour or two), but you’ll always find someone to have a race against somewhere in the pack.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 for Southern XC and Gorrick events. Checkedon can be both hilly and pretty tricky in the wet, among the tougher venues I’d say, the Rampage course is easier. That said, if you’re one of the organisers Robbo is there something we don’t know?!

You’ll be a veteran at most series, that’s more competitive than open. Or you could do Sport.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘starting to race xc again……’ is closed to new replies.