Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Starting night riding – advice welcome
  • nickfrog
    Free Member

Never done it but the need to keep riding this winter means 3 of us are going to try.

This is what I have in mind on my limited budget (£60) : x1 bar mounted Blackburn 700 lumens (£27) giving me 2 hours at 400 lumens. (see photo).

I am hoping to match that with a helmet mounted light that would give me 300 to 400 Lumens for around 2 hours too. I could buy a second Blackburn but I find it a little bulky and heavy (150g) on my helmet.

Any decent alternatives at around £35 ?

HaS anyone just zip tied a powerful but cheap torch like this one : https://www.lightingever.co.uk/ipx8-waterproof-led-flashlight-rechargeable-1200019.html

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve done the torch thing with heavy duty plastic velcro type stuff & zip ties. Worked fine, but not too reliable in the wet.

submarined
    Free Member

On or off road? I’ve been super impressed with my 30 quid Evolvas light from Amazon. It’s my first foray into night riding as well, and it’s been a blast (MTB) I do think I need a helmet light as well, I’m trying to find one to double as a bar light for my commuter to stop the constant swapping!

stevemorg2

I’ve one of these for sale it of any use – https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/lumen800/ I’m having a clear out of all my “spare” lights.

Could do it for £35 posted

mariner
    Free Member

Have a look for Solar Storm or Nestling led bike lights.
    In your price range and run time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d get a brighter helmet lamp personally for off-road. 900-1000lumens is really about the minimum that’s useful on singletrack.

Bar lights are useful as they create shadows which show up texture on the ground, drops, rocks etc whereas helmet lights make everything look flat.

Buying cheap ones can be a lottery though, there are as many fakes of even the cheap lights (solarstorm etc) which just stick any old recycled laptop batteries in the pack and last for as little as 10 minutes or just catch fire when you charge them!

If you can stretch the budget (quite) a bit then https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk are really good value for money with UK backup.

If not, I’ve ordered this brand from this website before (https://www.gearbest.com/bicycling-gear/pp_180805.html) and it’s been great, the batteries are panasonic cells inside so pretty much the best you can get. Obviously, no guarantee they’re still as good but mine is good value and unlike most Chinese lights the lumen numbers are accurate (a lot will say silly numbers like 5000 lumens and only manage 500 in reality).

nickfrog
    Free Member

Thanks so much for all the recommendations – in the end I ordered one of these to see if it will go on the helmet https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-front-light/#pid=40693

Hopefully it will complement what I have below and give me 700L for 2 hours

Duggan

Looks fine to me. When I started night riding I did it solo but found if I started with quite simple, very familiar loops it made it much easier to head out. Also starting in the light and having it get dark around me eased me in, rather than heading out in the pitch black right off the bat.

Haven’t done it for ages but when I did it regular I think there was a point where preferred night rides to normal ones.

rOcKeTdOg

Do it after dark

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Don’t listen to podcasts about Sasquatch or alien abductions before you go out on your own

nickfrog
    Free Member

Looks fine to me. When I started night riding I did it solo but found if I started with quite simple, very familiar loops it made it much easier to head out. Also starting in the light and having it get dark around me eased me in, rather than heading out in the pitch black right off the bat.

Haven’t done it for ages but when I did it regular I think there was a point where preferred night rides to normal ones.

Thanks Duggan – it’s 3 of us – I wouldn’t ride on my own anymore, particularly at night – one of us got a serious concussion recently and he was glad he wasn’t on his own as there would have been no-one around for a long time. Much worse at night in the woods I imagine.

I guess when it’s 3 of you with similar light set up, there must be a lighting overlap or at least some energy saving to be had ?

nickfrog
    Free Member

tizzzzle – Member
    Don’t listen to podcasts about Sasquatch or alien abductions before you go out on your own

That made me laugh – one of us actually looks like the Yeti and the other like an Alien anyway.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I ride with around 2,200 lumens in total ..night becomes day !
    I started off with a bar mount only albeit a good one ( MaxxD)..but realised that when I also got a helmet mounted light that this was the most important of the two ..and it’s also the brightest .
    Bar mounts shine only where the bars are pointing while the helmet light shines where you are looking …
    Also be aware unless your lights are the brightest in your group put a bit of space between yourselves when you are riding as if your mate is too close behind you all you will see is a dead spot in front of you with your own shadow in it …
    Night riding is completely different to riding through the day ..much more exciting as everything seems so much faster..even at lower speeds .
    I mourn the fact that for the last 2-3 years we have done very little riding in the dark ..but for about 5 years we were out every Wednesday night through the winter whatever the weather threw at us ..really hope you take to it ..its literally brilliant ..

nickfrog
    Free Member

That’s the plan hodgynd – I want it to be a set day no ifs no buts. If we get 2 years of it I’ll be happy – let alone 5 !

2200 sounds brilliant but sadly I’ll have to make do with 700 although I could briefly peak at 1000 for a little while I guess.

We’ll start where we know the trails indeed and probably while there is still daylight. Whiteways for those who ride there, in Sussex.

OCB
    Free Member

Best advice I can give is to enjoy it!
    So, every so often, stop.
    Turn all of your lights off and let your eyes adjust for a bit.
    If you are away from town lights, (lucky enough to be away from town lights), and it’s a clear night, just look up …

Night time is magical to be out.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Good point OCB – there will be very little urban light pollution and you make a good point – it’s something I always taught my kids. Looking at a nice night sky makes you humble !

dannyh
    Free Member

Light advice. Get a bar light and a helmet light if you can. More floody on the bars, more spotty on the lid. I’ve got a mtbbatteries lumenator and a solar storm cheapo. Both have been brilliant, but the lumenator is a nicer tone of light and doesn’t have such defined ‘rings’.

Practical advice. Try to find a group riding near you. I used to go out on my own and still do occasionally, but it’s much nicer in a group and you get to go for a pint afterwards. I can also vouch that laying on the ground with suspected broken ribs, on your own at 10pm on a Sunday night is not ideal.

If you do ride in a group, brightest lights at the front, otherwise everyone rides in their own shadow.

Actually, scrub this, watch this vid. Really good practical advice, although some of it is for longer rides in bigger terrain.

[video]https://vimeo.com/33017793[/video]

I particularly like the tool bag bit – pissing around trying to find stuff in a pack is virtually guaranteed to have you leave something on the ground when you pack up and ride off.

scaredypants

in before the dog soldiers pic

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh, if you do go cheap and cheerful on the lights, have a look at how well insulated the battery is. You’ll probably find it isn’t and so just get a roll of leccy tape and wrap it up like a hostage.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Go on your tod now and again, it’s awesome.

mcnultycop

When you are in complete darkness and an owl swoops in front of your head light it is terrifying.

However, shining a torch on some doggers is more scary.

martinhutch

Don’t be the slowest in your group. You don’t have to outrun whatever is chasing you, just one of your mates.

dovebiker

I usually ride solo – lying in the middle of the forest having clipped and tree and winded myself, lying on the ground assessing the damage and thinking “no one knows where I am!” I agree that 1,000 lumens is really needed if trying to ride at pace on singletrack – 700 OK for open trails and doubletrack.

llama

400 lumens is enough, that used to be the norm. It’s fine solo. The trouble is if you ride in a group where everyone has way brighter lights than you then you spend all your time in shadow. So if your in a group, try it, but you will probably want more.

samunkim
    Free Member

I prefer the dimensional “stereo” effect of two bar mounted lights

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

400 lumens is enough, that used to be the norm. It’s fine solo. The trouble is if you ride in a group where everyone has way brighter lights than you then you spend all your time in shadow. So if your in a group, try it, but you will probably want more.

This is most of the reason I’ve got ~4500lumens, on my own I can get away with just the helmet light on medium, but in a group, the guys with four4th lights just obliterate you into a shadow with double that! http://four4th.co.uk

Aristotle
    Free Member

As above, lighting is an arms race.

Despite what people say about it ‘flattening’ the terrain, I use just a helmet-mounted (using sticky-backed velcro) Solarstorm X2 with a better 6-cell battery pack (the original 4 cell pack was garbage).
    It might sound obvious, but helmet lights illuminate where you are looking and bar lights only illuminate where your bars are pointing. On twisty trails, the helmet light is far more useful.

I’ve used it in woods and on rocky, technical gritstone trails and not felt hindered.

I previously used a generic DX/”magicshine” lamp which I bought years ago and has now been relegated to bar-mounted commuting duties -The 4-cell battery pack that came with that was excellent, and is still going.

johnny5
    Free Member

Hip flask is mandatory for night rides
    Oh and some sort of rear light
    But ideally one that can be dimmed/ easily turned off when off road- nothing more annoying than riding behind a blinding red light on what would otherwise be cracking singletrack

Also, bring rockets at Halloween to fire out of seat tube from a hill top !

nickfrog
    Free Member

I use just a helmet-mounted (using sticky-backed velcro) Solarstorm X2

Cheers. Would you post a pic of that set up please ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get a spare battery for one of them? I normally turn one of my 2 lights off or onto low for the easy climbs etc.
    Make sure you have a good rear red light if you do any road stuff.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Mcnultycop with his owl comment reminded me of a night ride where we were on a naughty section next to the North Tyne River approaching a house so being as quiet as possible when a heron which we disturbed flapped the top of my mates helmet while trying to escape from its tree roost ..probably the funniest thing I’ve ever seen while riding 😆
    Watch out for low flying herons!

fossy

I have a couple of the solarstorm battery cases with which you put in your own sourced batteries (Xtar, panasonic etc). These work the best and can either be charged in the case or by a smart charger. I use the smart charger every so often to ensure the cells are ‘balanced’ – i.e. they have the same charge.

The brightest flood I have is a Solarstorm XT40, but it does burn through the batteries at full power. The standard Solarstorm 2x lights are fine, but my favourite is a Yinding 2xU2 – tiny lamp but outputs a really good spread of light with good distance. I’ve also got a C&B Seen City Slicker – uses self contained panasonic batteries. Despite them saying it’s not suitable for off road due to weight, they are fine as it uses a Hope clamp. A wrap of tape round the bars and the light doesn’t move, even on rough terrain. Run time is impressive on high.

I’ve found that the lights that use a collimator lens rather than a standard reflector give the best light spread.

hainman
    Free Member

@nickfrog
    I us d the torch you posted in one of the early posts
    I bout an exspossure torch mount that clips the torch and attached to my GoPro lid mount
    And bought two cheap lamps and a 6cell uk battery from MTB batteries plus charger
    Bought splitter cable and run both lamps at same time
    Plenty light for steep tight twisty through the trees trails

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Best advice I can give is to enjoy it!
    So, every so often, stop.
    Turn all of your lights off and let your eyes adjust for a bit.

This ^^^^^ Also don’t go overboard with the lumens,it’s supposed to be a night ride! 🙂 On a full moon try easier stuff with no lights or minimal light.
    As has been mentioned night riding is quite magical,I just wish I had the opportunity to do more of it!

moonsaballoon

My c and b seen lights have been reliable for the last 3 years paired with a torch off eBay .

IdleJon

My c and b seen lights have been reliable for the last 3 years paired with a torch off eBay .

I’d also recommend them, but mine are very spotty even with the diffuser. I pair them with an old Hope R4 on the bars.

You WILL see and hear weird things but normally the panting of the huge beast that’s following you turns out to be your pack moving around as you pedal, and the glowing eyes moving towards you are cattle. Normally.

luff
    Free Member

Night riding is brilliant fun. My advice is, if you can only get 1 light then get a helmet light of at least 800 lumens and if you’re going on your own stay off the technical trails and just go on an XC route that you have done before.

if you’re in a group then definitely do the technical trails, the adrenaline shakes at the bottom of the hill are lovely

benp1

I haven’t been for one evening ride this year, or any year in fact, and not needed lights. It’s an all year requirement. In lighter months I can start without them, but always need them to finish

anagallis_arvensis

Just buy some lights strap them to your bike a go for it. I used to ride offroad with a 10watt spot and 2.5 flood with a lead acid battery. Didnt die, had fun.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Whiteways is good at night, a good mix of open trails and tree covered single-track where a helmet mounted light makes a huge difference.
    Nothing too technical to worry about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Starting night riding – advice welcome’ is closed to new replies.