Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Starting new business.
  • steveo48
    Free Member

For those of you that have done it before, what’s the basics of starting a business. The missus and I have been toying with the idea of buying and selling good quality pet products, something we found difficult to find when we got a puppy a while back.
    The idea is a simple as buying wholesale and selling via means of Internet.
    Anybody point us in the direction of some type of list of must do’s to get up and running?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Research and planning!!

How much time do you have?
    Does your current work contract allow it?
    What is the realistic margin these days?
    Will people pay for good over cheap? (read some threads in here)
    If it’s a good idea is anybody else doing it?

Thats just some starters

user-removed
    Free Member

It’s all about Google and Facebook. Start a business page on Facebook and think about running an advert or sponsoring important posts. Fill the page with interesting and engaging content.

Website is obviously important but an active blog (again with genuinely interesting content) is a very good way to get up the Google rankings. Maybe think about running a Google Adwords ad too? I say all this, but haven’t updated my (dog photography business) blog or FB page for weeks 😳

I do very well in the run up to Christmas selling gift vouchers and spend heavily on FB and Google for most of November and December.

Also, see if you have a local Business Innovation Centre (BIC). They’re helpful for the first few months in terms of getting set up.

grantway
    Free Member

In buying and selling you are going to need stock and maybe approach the bank for revenue
    So you have to produce a business plan so start buy putting one of those together

totalshell

you cant sell diddly squat until you have suppliers.. you may find that those willing to sell to internet only businesses are limited and you need to understand clearly what the trade terms are for those that will.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/setting-up-your-own-business

Been running for 18 months now. Good advice in this thread I started.

I started simple, informed the tax office. Already knowing my market I built my website on thier needs and made it appealing to the focus group I invited to ‘snag’ it. I am a sole trader and didn’t go the LTD route. Good luck and have a go. Since I am selling my trade in as much as a product I didn’t need a massive loan or anything to start up. I started with basic equipment that was up to the job and upgrade/replace only when i need to. EG, could have bought a better digital camera but an EOS 350d met my needs so I got that for £150 rather than spend £500.

Keep it simple
    Keep it neat
    Forecast and think about things
    If enough people tell you an idea won’t work don’t get wrapped up in a dream hoping it will.

Were are you based that you couldn’t find puppy products? As a puppy owner myself the local market & pets at home seem to have it covered. There is a pet wholesale who has opened up by me and he said he was struggling against the bigger retailers despite being cheaper.

Liftman

Don’t be under the impression that the bank will lend you anything without security (ie: your house)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Starting new business.’ is closed to new replies.