Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Starting out on the dark side (roadie content)
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

So, I’ve decided that 2013 should be the year in which I get a road bike. I’m not talking now, but in 3/4 months down the line. My reasoning for getting a road bike is partly for something to do in the long summer I get as a student (my last one coming up :O) which will let me stay fit and partly due to my long term want to do John O Groats to Lands End ride, which I’m hardly going to want to do on my Meta 5.

I’m new to the road world. What should I look for in a road bike? Any brands/specifics that should be avoided. I’ll probably have about £500 to spend on the second hand market, for something in reasonable condition.

Also, what size would people recommend me to go and look at? I’m about 6’3″.

Advice would be appreciated.

rOcKeTdOg

6ft3 i’d say 58cm + depending on how long you like your top tube unless it’s a compact geom frame

danielgroves
    Free Member

Like I said, I’m pretty new to this, what’s a compact frame?

cynic-al
    Free Member

60-62cm.

Last summer of uni? Go travelling!

danielgroves
    Free Member

Last summer of uni? Go travelling!

I’m not really going to be able to afford it this summer, but I am planning on doing something a bit different after graduation, not too sure what yet though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

working trip abroad?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Hmmm, maybe. Either way I want to get a road bike sorted this year so that I can get fit enough and some dates sorted for the trip I mentioned in my first post.

lunge

Size wise look at a frame about 60cm. Bike wise, new I would look at Decathlon, the £500 bike from there (cant remember the model, it’ll be a B-Twin) is brilliant. Second hand, I would look for a good alu frame, Cannondale is the first brand that springs to mind, and as much Shimano 105 or Ultegra on it as you can find.

1981miked
    Free Member

This is good value for money mate:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-id_8167039.html

As is this:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/merlin-road-bikes/merlin-malt-r-road-bike.html

And this, but they don’t have your size if guess:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=75444

I’m currently considering the same purchase, I have just bought a house so the budget has been halved for the road bike.. Unless I sell my Cotic Soul.

I’m going to see the Btwin this weekend. I will be using mine for training, and hopefully a triathlon..

mogrim

I’m going to see the Btwin this weekend. I will be using mine for training, and hopefully a triathlon..

I’ve got a BTwin road bike, it’s a couple of years old now and still going great. I did change the wheels to Mavic Aksiums and upgraded the tyres, but the rest is the same as the day it came out the shop. Would be happy to get another one, although I’ll be the first to admit that if I’d had more money I’d have got a more bling brand!

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the situation I find myself in.. Spied a deal on a Giant TCR 1 compact for £715 but just can’t justify that amount of cash.

£500 is the limit really and even at that I’m pushing it.

The £300 Triban 3 gets a great write up.

Decisions, decisions!!!

stratman
    Free Member

Giant Defy 4?

Also gets great write up, but I expect the components on the triban will be higher spec.

I’d try riding first as fit is really important for a road bike

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’m currently considering the same purchase, I have just bought a house so the budget has been halved for the road bike.

I’m in a similar situation which is why I need to wait a little while Just spent 2k upgrading the IT rig, unfortunately essential for what I do.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I’ll try and steal few different bikes from friends closer to when I have the money together and then see what I can find in whatever size feels best.

Out of interest, has anyone here done the Lands End -> John O’Groats ride? Any advice?

RealMan
    Free Member

Out of interest, has anyone here done the Lands End -> John O’Groats ride? Any advice?

That’s probably worth starting a whole new thread, or having a search of both this forum, and the internet. Loads of info out there.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Second hand giant defy 2 2010 should be just about doable for that price. I have a 2008 Boardman comp available in your size-ish that you could have for a lot less than 500 but has recently been stripped so would need putting back together.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just set up a triban 3 and a 5 for 2 mates this week. Great bikes but budget on some better tyres. One fell apart on first ride. Other than that spectacular value for money. Also I am looking at LeJog for 2014 so just sussing who to do it with at the moment.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Bought a used road bike from someone on here for £500, and many years later it’s still giving excellent service. Full Ultegra groupset still going strong many thousands of miles later (minus hubs, wheels have been swapped by me). Had only been ridden a few times.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks everyone. Aluminium frame, Carbon Fork and Ultegra it is. Will go try a couple of friends bikes to get a better idea of size and then will keep any eye out for anything in my budget.

Now, if only I owned a money tree… 🙄

That’s probably worth starting a whole new thread, or having a search of both this forum, and the internet. Loads of info out there.

I probably will once I have a bike to do it on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Starting out on the dark side (roadie content)’ is closed to new replies.