• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Star Nut – Carbon Steerer ?
  • noltae
    Free Member

Mate just bought a 2ND hand carbon fork with star nut – is it absolutely necessary to replace with bung / head doctor ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nah, if the star nut is already in there, crack on and use it…….

andyl
    Free Member

is it a carbon steerer?

Don’t remove it as you will just cause more damage.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I wouldn’t have used one in the first place but now it’s in there I’d use it rather than attempt to remove it.

Northwind

Yep, thinking the same- the issue is supposed to be damage caused when fitting not when using. Unless the steerer’s long enough to chop it?

I’d not be delighted tbh.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’d be looking for a chance to get my money back.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I’d definitely be looking to get my money back unless, as above, it will be trimmed a decent way past the star nut.

tpbiker
    Free Member

How far down is it? I’d not be happy about that, but if its above the stem (ie theres room for few spacers above) then i’d maybe not be to bothered. If the steerer is long enough to cut it out then I have a carbon bung you can have for nowt if you want.

hatter

I’d be returning the fork as unsafe, the star nut scours the carbon weakening it, you then clamp the same area with the stem, bad combination.

noltae
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses folks – I guess that’s what you get for spending £50 off eBay – it’s an On One and it’s too far down to cut out ..

tpbiker
    Free Member

Would removing it reduce further wear or damage? If so ‘d drill it out if you can’t return. Not sure of the likelihood of it actually breaking, but it would always be on the back of my mind…

My golden rule is don’t have anything that is structurely compromised at the front of the bike…would take more of a chance if it as at the rear…thats why I avoid carbon bars…every time I crash I’d be fretting I’d done some hidden damage..and as a man with horric OCD it would spoil my enjoyment of the ride!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If it’s eBay, can you not send it back as it’s not as described i.e. technically it’s broken.

Or did the original description have “starnut fitted, cos i’m an idiot” in it.

dovebiker

FWIW Cannondale use star nuts in their carbon forks but they probably have a liner sleeve, so it’s not unknown. Whilst there is a small risk of damage, I’d simply carry on using them as it’s unlikely to be a sudden and catastrophic failure.

andyl
    Free Member

These: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-One-Carbon-29er-Forks-/322024344130?hash=item4afa258a42%3Ag%3AxMcAAOSwDuJW1aIV&nma=true&si=mLE3aE2CULRvYHePq%252B0638QIaoo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On on website:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOSCF4709/on-one-monocoque-straight-steerer-carbon-fork

“Use with MK1 carbon bung PRODUCT CODE: FSPXFCENT”

I would say return if worried as it is potentially damaged due to incorrect installation. I remember a problem were the advised bung did not fit and you had to pick up a different one, maybe the seller had that problem and opted for a star nut.

in reality CF is pretty tough but it’s not my call.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Star Nut – Carbon Steerer ?’ is closed to new replies.