Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stanton Switchback v Cotic Soul
  • colin27
    Free Member

Just thinking about replacing my P7 with either the Switchback or Soul. Like the idea of the Switchback I’m just a bit unsure about the geometry. My P7 has a fairly standard head angle (68/69ish), the Soul looks similar but the Stanton is so much slacker. I get the reasoning behind it, I’m just concerned it might be so different I’ll not get on that well with it – I like technical climbing just as much as heading down.

I’d go for a demo but not sure there is anywhere in Scotland/the North that has them???

Has anyone ridden the Switchback and can offer a comparison between it and more ‘conventional’ hardtails? Is it a really noticeable difference?

dannyh
    Free Member

In truth, I can’t help you with this, but as you’re clearly going to buy a lovely bike I thought I’d compliment you on that and give your thread a bump at the same time.

FWIW – I ride a 456 evo 2 with 120mm forks and think it’s great. You could save yourself a few quid and get an on-one stove pipe(?)

deviant
    Free Member

I get the reasoning behind it, I’m just concerned it might be so different I’ll not get on that well with it – I like technical climbing just as much as heading down.

You’ll be fine…i went from a bike with a 68 degree HA to a bike with a 66 degree HA and then to a 45650b which i think was slacker still (poss 65 degrees with a 150mm fork?)…never noticed any problems with climbing.

The worst bike i had for climbing was a Kona Caldera that had a HA of 68.5 degrees with a 100mm fork….i dont know what was up with the geometry, maybe the seat tube was angled too far back but it would lift the front even on mild climbs…the slacker longer forked HTs i’ve had have always kept the front wheel rooted to the ground.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden a Soul but do have a Switchback which I run with 140mm forks.

I have no issue climbing on it – on some of the really steep stuff, you need to get your elbows out to keep weight on the front to stop it wandering about. For most stuff it’s fine. I think they’re great – I ride mine all the time for everything. My Rune sits in the garage not being ridden.

colin27
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Just need to bite the bullet I think!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Cotic Soul…end off.
    what length forks are you going to run?
    On the cotic site you can choose fork length and it give you head angles etc

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cotic Soul…end off.
    what length forks are you going to run?
    On the cotic site you can choose fork length and it give you head angles etc

Stanton…end of!

I know it’s heresay round here, but the Slackline and Switchback I have had were / are much nicer bikes to ride than the BFe that came before them.

riklegge

I’ve owned both the Slackline (26″ predecessor to the Switchback) and the 26″ Soul. I liked both, marginally preferred the Stanton as it felt a bit more composed on technical descents. The Soul was quite a bit lighter and still very capable.

Scamper
    Free Member

Interesting. I’ve had the Soul and Bfe and finally think I’ve decided on the Slackline 631. Thought the Bfe was a right laugh (most of the time) so by the sounds of things I should like the Stanton 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Switchback v Cotic Soul’ is closed to new replies.