Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Stanton Slackline v NS Surge
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I had my eye on a Pig x although I’m not liking the chain-stay length and have since been looking at the Slackline. Short stays, great reviews, low bb, great ethos, British tubing, British firm etc. etc. But £460 frame only.

NS Surge, Adjustable stays, low bb, seems to do everything the Slackline will do but the frame is £200 cheaper. Is that the premium you have to pay for a 853 frame?

Anybody ridden both?

raisinhat
    Free Member

I think that the Stanton is hand-built in the UK, and the NS Surge is built in the far east. That doesn’t mean that the Surge is going to be any worse, but would explain why it’s cheaper.

Why not a Dialled Alpine / Prince Albert, or a Cotic Bfe / Soul? Just giving you some suggestions.

sv

Think the Stanton is UK designed, and if the Surge sizes fit I’d go with it. Loved mine but just too small for me.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Ive ridden a surge lots for a few years now. I love it. It’s downfall is the 4130 it’s made from. It’s value for money but I really would like to swap it out for a slackline..

tymbian
    Free Member

I’d love a Stanton too but can almost buy 2 Surges for the same. That’s what I mean by ‘ paying a premium ‘.. is the Reynolds tubing 100% better ( twice as good, stronger, flexier etc )?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

As with most things the price increase wont be relative. But I imagine it’ll be plenty nicer.

Not sure on the weight difference but it should make the stanton much easier to ride.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, blind fold test you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

But if you buy it, you’ll be on here raving about how good 853 steel “feels”

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I just checked, 400 grams difference to my 09 surge

kudos100
    Free Member

I loved my surge, the most fun bike I have owned. I’ve had a quick go on a slackline and it felt good, but I don’t know about paying 200 quid more.

Lighter, yes, better ride, nah.

mrbump
    Free Member

if you want a hardtail for hard riding a surge is spot on. works perfect with 140mm forks, low bb ,good head angle head angle good stand over , adjustable chainstays. the ride is stiffer and more responsive than a blue pig, but it is but to take some abuse.
    ragley’s, cotic’s, dialed bikes have too high bb’s unless run with short forks IMO.

sv

+1 for Mr bumps bb height comment.

sheephills
    Free Member

Hi,
    I am 6 ft 3 inch, Will a large surge be Tool small?
    Cheers

m1zuno
    Free Member

Sheephills im 6.1 and i could raise the seat and do long xc,sold it after a couple of month as the flex in the post was annoying me,so better test one first,if it fits get one they r versatile nice frames for the price 😆

twohats
    Free Member

Cosmetic damage medium Surge at CRC for £189!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=91253

mrbump
    Free Member

@sheephills
    just check top tube length compared to your bike.
    some would like the flex in the seatpost for comfort. if not get a stiff post like a thomson. my surge has been used for DH and agressive use but this year it will be my xc race bike 🙂 the frame weight is not ideal but i’ll put up with that for the geometry. i think surge is just under 6lb, blue pig 5.5 lb ,piglet 5lb, cotic soul 4.5lb off the top of my head.
    another consideration is seat tube diameter for dropper post compatability. i have an x fusion hilo on my surge,

Northwind

raisinhat – Member

I think that the Stanton is hand-built in the UK,

Nope, it’s a cotic-esque designed in UK, made in far east. Nothing wrong with that obviously.

shism14
    Free Member

I looked at the Stanton but after a few weeks deliberating I opted for the NS Surge and I absolutely love it, I’ve got the large and at 6’2 with a 400mm post it is spot on. The longer top tube (585 I think) it’s great for long rides or just as much fun on dirt jumps and DH tracks. After riding a surge I just can’t justify the extra money for the slackline!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I ride a surge – liked it so much it is now my only bike. I’ve pedalled around on a slackline and there is very little in it. Selling point for me was the versatility of the surge. I like to run it single speed but have the option of sticking gears on for peak trips etc.

However I don’t think the adjustable drop outs are the best ss solution as the axle creaks forward too easily unless you risk rounding all the bolts off.

bigad40
    Free Member

http://db.tt/5vDOC6vh
    I’m 6’4″.
    Manuals like a dream.
    Jumps everything.
    Corners like a kona.

sheephills
    Free Member

This thread is worthless without pictures, especially The tall guys Surges. 😀

shism14
    Free Member

Can’t upload from my phone on to here but here’s a link to mine,

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/8904844/

In fully geared mode here but it’s running single speed this weekend!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

shism14 – Member
    Can’t upload from my phone on to here but here’s a link to mine,

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/8904844/

In fully geared mode here but it’s running single speed this weekend

Don’t click the link, it’ll put you off bikes!

shism14
    Free Member

???

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Funny saddle angle, triple chainset, 110mm stem!!, uncut brake hoses, black sitcky patches all over etc. etc.

shism14
    Free Member

Saddle was just set for running post super low for dirt, this is an old photo now has a 50mm NS quark stem the uncut cables allow for barspins and the triple stayed on for one ride! The surge is ment to be an all rounder and that’s exactly what mine does !

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

triples and big long seat posts 🙁

I’ll post a pic of mine in a second..

shism14
    Free Member

At 6’2 I don’t have a lot of range on a frame that size!!!

shism14
    Free Member

Unfortunately having just ploughed my entire life savings in to opening my own restaurant the budget for a build was rather small, having a 4k bike doesn’t make you a better rider than someone building in a budget! The bike was built with what I had so I could get out and ride not enter a fashion show!

chvck
    Free Member

This was mine. Now with a different frame, brakes, helmet, pedals, cranks and chain guide! I found the NS a touch too small for me (6ft) and the frame felt a bit too dead/stiff for my liking, great fun though!

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

shism14 – Member
    Unfortunately having just ploughed my entire life savings in to opening my own restaurant the budget for a build was rather small, having a 4k bike doesn’t make you a better rider than someone building in a budget! The bike was built with what I had so I could get out and ride not enter a fashion show!

If you ride round your own private trails then fair enough, but most of us ride popular routes and trail centres where we will be seen!

And its here that looking good is all that matters!

Otherwise we’d all be riding round on bikes from Asdas.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

ta dave 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nay bother!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Slackline v NS Surge’ is closed to new replies.