• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stanton Sherpa Riders – Your Choice of Rear Tyre Please?
  • fbk
    Free Member

I’m having a few issues selecting a good rear tyre for my Sherpa. I’m looking for something with a decent volume and good rolling resistance over pure grip. Tubeless and resilient. Tried a 2.35 WTB tyre (got a Vigilante on the front) which was pretty good but just a bit too wide (it rubbed the chain stays when leant over). I’m currently running a 2.1 Spec Ground Control which is ok but I can’t help thinking there’s something better out there. Plus I ripped the tread first ride out so it no longer seals…grrr!

Sooo, I’m wondering what other folk are using and liking?

If only you could get a 29er LUST Larsson!

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I have a Whyte 129s and tried a spec purg 2.3 recently and that is a good volume and fairly fast rolling tyre. I also have tried the Nobby Nic 2.25 which runs tubeless, decent volume, running at 23psi and offers better clearance.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’d be better off looking to see what people are riding locally, as tyre choice really doesn’t have much to do with specific bikes. Match tyres to conditions, not brand of frame, but obv just don’t go as big as those 2.35s.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Impressed with my Conti X King 2.4

They do a 2.2 I believe. Its on an inbred tho, not a Stanton!

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. It’s not so much what works for the local area – I’ve been here long enough to know that. It’s more what’s a decent volume, fast rolling and fits in the chainstays of the Sherpa.

letmetalktomark

2.25” Ardent on mine. Flow EX rim.

fbk
    Free Member

Interesting. I was thinking of going back to maxxis and the ardent does make a fine back tyre. Thanks for that.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s more what’s a decent volume, fast rolling and fits in the chainstays of the Sherpa.

Geax Saguaro 2.2″ is probably my fave fast rolling rear tyre of the moment. Pair it up front with a 2.25″ Goma for a killer all round combination.

Have also had good success with a CST Ouster (CST are Maxxis parent company) which is quite similar in size and pattern to a 2.25″ Maxxis Advantage on the back.

Not been running any (yet) on the back of a Sherpa, but know they all fit easily in the back on one, and my current 29er HT isn’t too disimilar anyway.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Sherpa Riders – Your Choice of Rear Tyre Please?’ is closed to new replies.