Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Stanton Sherpa Question
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Getting impatient waiting for an email response from Stanton so may as well fill the void with your knowledge while I wait.

Would the Sherpa work well with rigid forks (cost saving requirement)?
    Any short legged 5ft 8 people had a go to gauge size?
    any other thoughts on the bike in general?

I want it for longish XC rides and general road and Bridleway stuff

Ta very much

jontykint
    Free Member

Haven’t got one but I don’t see why not

daftvader
    Free Member

I run mine with 110mm however I don’t see why it wouldn’t ride great on a rigid fork….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnj2000
    Free Member

Cheers both. Any recommendations on frame size?

daftvader
    Free Member

Probably go with a 17…. I am 6 foot and ride the 19….. You’re a Hampshire lad aren’t you?.. Give tamed earth a shout, not too far away (devils punch bowl) good lads and stock the sherpa.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Cheers dv. Will do.

dan77
    Free Member

Nice to know I’m not the only person waiting on Stanton!

daftvader
    Free Member

It surprises me that you both haven’t had replies… They were really quick for me….

fbk
    Free Member

Short legged and 6ft here and the 19″ fits perfectly. I don’t see why it wouldn’t ride well with some long rigid Forks although, once you’ve ridden it, I think you’ll be keen to put some suspension on as it feels fantastic on the downs and the steel back end is pretty forgiving.

Again, I’m surprised you haven’t had a reply to emails – they’ve always been quick to respond to mine.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Still nothing 🙁 let’s see if Tamed Earth can beat them to a sale 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

What colour are you after?

irishdave
    Free Member

Daftvader and fbk, could either of you post a side on view of your 19″ Sherpas. I’ve only seen photos of 17s.

Do you know how much your frames weighed or your built bike weight.

I know weight isn’t supposed to matter but it does really(within reason).

Cheers

daftvader
    Free Member

lazy link… I’d estimate around the 27-30 lb mark but it rides really light… And i haven’t used any silly light stuff either. Hth

fbk
    Free Member

Not sure this’ll work but that’s mine.

edit, guess it won’t then. Here’s a link instead Link

dan77
    Free Member

I’ve just messaged Stanton on Facebook and got reply in seconds apparently there email is playing up at the moment

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks Dan, thought there must have been a reason as they have a good reputation. Wasn’t using this to slate them for not answering mind, always good to hear from peeps who own the bikes anyway.

Looks like I have a frame sorted, just need to Find the cash now 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

did you go to tamed earth then?

daftvader
    Free Member

Irishdave…. Just weighed my stanton in ss mode and it weighs in at 27lb on the fishing scales… Hth

johnj2000
    Free Member

Yes dv, are you on commission? 😉

daftvader
    Free Member

I wish! I just found them a really friendly shop. Good service too

johnj2000
    Free Member

Very helpful on the phone they were. Hope to pay them a visit soon

irishdave
    Free Member

Thanks for the photos and info. After doing a load of these new fangled enduro things I’ve recently done a few endurance classic style enduros I’ve remembered how much I enjoy these (it must be the pain and suffering).
    I love the look of the Sherpa, the geo looks great and should be fun for these style of events.
    I was just interested in how light I could build it up for the climbs. I was hoping with Sids or Reba’s, 1×10, carbon bars, hope/ wtb kom wheels and dropper that I could get to 26ish. I have now lost the ability to ride without a dropper.
    Is this possible?

daftvader
    Free Member

I would have thought it perfectly possible. I have fox forks, mavic crossride wheels, hope thompson and nukeproof bits so non of it very light…

irishdave
    Free Member

Whats the tire clearance like in the back? Would you get a 2.3 Ikon or 2.25 ardent in there with room for flex?

irishdave
    Free Member

fbk
    Do your big Vigilantes fit OK in the chainstays?

daftvader
    Free Member

I’ve got conti x king 2.2 and there is 10mm either side and 17mm on the top….

[/url]DSC_0165 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]DSC_0164 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

johnj2000
    Free Member

I have the cycle scheme vouchers in order so a Sherpa should be mine very soon 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

X Fusion Slants put to one side along with the frame. Going to go new for the drivetrain but 2nd hand for wheels and brakes. Any Recomendations for a good but inexpensive 29er wheel? And when I say I expensive I mean really inexpensive.

daftvader
    Free Member

Crc or merlin… Or classifieds then.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Picking the frame and some bits up tomorrow whooooo hooooooo. Also broken the news to the boss and it went down about as well as could be expected.

bmike
    Free Member

I’m interested in this subject – I have a 17″ Sherpa (and I’m same height as you), with a rigid fork (cheap P2 from a Kona Unit). At present it’s all still in bits, so I have no idea how it’ll ride. Plan was to use the rigid fork over the winter at least, and get bouncy fork later. Can’t see it being built and rideable for a few months at least though.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Still haven’t written off the rigid fork bmike, may still give it a go.

fbk
    Free Member

Sorry – I haven’t been online much the last week and missed your post Irishdave. I initially thought the Vigilante would be fine but clearance was tight on the back and it rubbed when pushing out of the saddle or cornering hard. I’m currently running a smaller tyre and looking for the perfect compromise – the Trail Boss looks interesting…

irishdave
    Free Member

fbk – no problem, I haven’t been on much lately. are you running 100mm forks? are you happy with the feel?

johnj2000
    Free Member

I have the frame still sat naked in the garage 🙁 not sure when it will see the light of day but it looks lovely 🙂

irishdave
    Free Member

19″ owners holong is the head tube? I’m following some forks on eBay and want to make sure the steerer isn’t too short.

bmike
    Free Member

120mm on the 19″ frame. And if its the same forks I’m following, the steerer is too short for that!

irishdave
    Free Member

Well I won an auction for a pair of Reba’s with a 180 steerer, so its going to be tight!

bmike
    Free Member

Taper steerer or straight? If it’s straight, a zero stack lower cup on the headset will save you a good few mm? Tapered 180mm will be very tight on a 19″ frame.

I was bidding on some forks with a 165mm steerer, to go on my 17″ Sherpa (100mm head tube). I measured the stack height as 126mm top to bottom on the headset, plus 40mm for the stem bring it up to 166mm. Unless I missed something, that would have just fitted together with minimal spacers. Adding 20mm on for the 19″ frame brings it up to 186mm. That would be borderline I think, but it’s possible your headset could be a fraction slimmer than mine.

irishdave
    Free Member

Hey bmike,

Did you get some forks? You were right my gamble didn’t pay off the steerer was too short by about 4mm.

If you still need forks these are very good. RLT dual air 180mm steerer, white, tapered.

Frame is here, I have every thing else (although I haven’t actually built the wheels yet), I just got to find a pair of forks now with 190 or more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Sherpa Question’ is closed to new replies.