Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Stanton or Cotic?
  • pickle
    Free Member

Looking at taking the plunge on a new rolling chassis and liking the Slackline and the Soul 27.5

Just wondering if anyone’s ridden both and have views on what’s nicer? there’s a considerable difference in price but wondered if there’s much in them?

nickwatson
    Free Member

I’ve had an older Soul, and now have a Sherpa. I would say the finish is better on the Stanton. I would also expect the Slackline/Switchback to be more hardcore, and the Soul more XC based. Very pleased with the Sherpa, and would definately buy again. Nothing against the Cotic though, both would be an excellent choice (not helping much am I?).

Nick

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a Stanton fanboy, so that’s where my vote would go.

I had a BFe which I don’t really like. The Slackline that replaced it was a much, much nicer bike to ride and felt way less dead, heavy and harsh. I then moved onto a Switchback and now gave the Ti version. Dan is a top bloke too and happy to chat about bikes etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JAG

I’m a Cotic fanboy, so that’s where my vote would go. 😆

I have a BFe and I’m just about to replace it with….. another BFe.

A really good do it all bike – it feels tough and rugged and ready for anything. Downhill, jumps, drops or just tootling about on local bridleways. I haven’t found anything it isn’t good at 8)

matther01
    Free Member

Had the Slackline Ti 26 and the older Soul mk3 26.Currently have a mk1 Switchback.

I think the new Slackline has slightly more aggressive geo and 142×12 rear and is a quality bit of kit.

The one thing I’ll say about Cotic, is that I still miss the feel of the Soul. It was really comfy and soaked up all the trail chatter. I’ve just bought my wife an XS Soul…and pretty envious.

I also find their customer service impeccable. It feels like everyone is treated really well and not just if you’re one of their mates.

If you’re after more aggressive trail…slackline. If more trail/xc…soul IMO.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The new Slackline is a lovely looking thing (saw an early one at Stanton HQ a few weeks ago). The geo is a fair bit less agro than the Switchback plus the rear stays are super skinny compared to the Switchback so should feel lovely.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about getting the new slackline but not had any reports yet on how it rides. I think its probably a better all around trail bike than the switchback yet more agro than a Soul – which is a good thing !

jambalaya
    Free Member

I too am a very happy Cotic customer, I have a 2012 BFe as my main bike and have recently been trying to buy a Soul frame of similar vintage (last 2 wemt for £180 and £240). Cotic have so e sales on currently of older stock frames inc BFe which you might look at – when I bought my BFe it was £300 vs a Soul at £450 which pushed me towards the BFe

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m a Cotic fan boy who is currently about to buy a Stanton. In my case a Sherpa.

I’ve had nothing but pleasure from my mkI Soul but it will be split to build my Sherpa (wheels and trains are shagged and its too expensive to refresh and with geo moving on its a smudge on the short side for me). Cy (and Paul) are great to deal with. Cotic advice and back has been faultless (I’ve a Solaris and previously had a Rocket and a Soda).

So why am I getting a Stanton? Well, the latest Solaris isn’t 3.0″ B+ wheel compatible and I’m kind of in between sizes. Sherpa is compatible and and in the middle (height wise) of their sizing chart. The finish on the Stanton looks really good. And Dan is able to supply what I want wrt a rolling chassis.

Stanton website not as slick and Cy more prompt/engaging with queries (although to be fair to Dan I did catch him when was moving house which can’t have helped.

I don’t think you’d go wrong with either but you need to be realistic about your intentions with the bike. The Stanton is definitely has more aggressive geometry and you’ll need to think about your rear axle (slackline now with bolt through, but can swap drop outs for ss or qr). Also sizing, make sure whichever one is best fit. Yeah, what do you intend using it for. If it’s more xc based (Souls can take a fair beating mind) or ‘enduro’ then I’d say base it on that.

However you might just be a tart and the colour options might be what swings it. 😀

I doubt you’d be disappointed either way.

pickle
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I do like a bit of aggressive riding and have been a long time fan of my 456 Evo 2 but with everything on it getting a bit long in the tooth and not able to move across to another new frame, I’m looking at a rolling chassis.

Both Cotic and Stanton do them and I’m leaning more to the Stanton.

Thanks for all the replies though

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pickie see this classified ad

BFe – as new?

pickle
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up but I’m not looking at the BFe thanks.

wl
    Free Member

New Orange P7. Insanely good.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I think the new Slackline has slightly more aggressive geo

The new Slackline is a lovely looking thing (saw an early one at Stanton HQ a few weeks ago). The geo is a fair bit less agro than the Switchback

I think its probably a better all around trail bike than the switchback yet more agro than a Soul

The Stanton is definitely has more aggressive geometry

I do like a bit of aggressive riding

Where’s all this aggression coming from? WTF does aggressive geometry mean? BITD aggressive geometry meant steep head angles, long stems and low bars etc, and relaxed meant slack head angles and upright bars.

Can we just please bin the term ‘Aggressive’ as it just smacks of marketing bollocks. I’m an MTB’er who loves to hit technical lines and jumps and drops but I’ve never stopped to beat a lip to death with a rock or asked a gap jump why it was looking at me funny.

MTB’ing feels to me the furthest away from aggressive as I could get, I’m at peace when I’m riding my bike and ride it best when in relaxed state of mind flowing the jumps and drops and threading through the rocks.

core

Someone’s got their panties in a bunch.

I think by aggressive people are simply trying to describe a bike that is characteristically (by way of it’s geometry) more competent and at home for technical riding/trails.

SirHC

I had a Solaris and liked it a lot (used for XC), the downside is that it was a bit on the small side.
    I replaced it with a Sherpa, which I didn’t really get on with, couldn’t get the front end low enough (120mm headtube) withough the levers clashing against the top tube, it was than the Solaris (heavier frame, higher bb, slacker HA). For what the Sherpa is designed for, it would do well, for the riding I was doing it wasn’t right.

core

I’ve got a 26″ soul and a 29″ scandal at the moment, I’m thinking of losing both in favour of a Sherpa, but not sure if it’s the right thing to do………..

WildHunter2009

I’m planning on my next proper hardtail to be a sherpa… but i suspect a 26 BFe frame will appear as well as I have always wanted a cotic and have a bunch of 26 gear i can use as an excuse. If the slackline still came in that incredible blue i would be very tempted mind!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up but I’m not looking at the BFe thanks.

Clearly your choice but if you were leaning towards Stanton as it was a bit more aggressive/chuckable then it would be reasonable to look at BFe. As I said I was intending to buy a Soul but got a BFe in large part due to frame price difference. I ride mine for everything from 60k xc (my max ever ride), Peak rides to Surrey Hills “DH” trails.

Happy shopping and post us a pic when you have your bike 8)

superfli
    Free Member

Looking at taking the plunge on a new rolling chassis and liking the Slackline and the Soul 27.5

Just wondering if anyone’s ridden both and have views on what’s nicer? there’s a considerable difference in price but wondered if there’s much in them?

Loads of replies, not one that meets your question, just people having ridden bikes of the same maunfacturer 🙂

So, FWIW I’ve had a soul 26″ which was lovely, but for my general riding I wanted something slacker. I now have a Stanton switchback, which is slacker and much more suited to going downhill faster. It can XC as well though, just a little heavier.

walla24
    Free Member

shameless plug for my Sherpa frame for sale currently in the classifieds…

Have to say the finish is top class on the stantons and the green paintwork is gorgeous

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Stanton or Cotic?’ is closed to new replies.