Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stans/Schwalbe blowout?
  • krixmeister

Just put a new Schwalbe Rocket Ron on my Stans Flow rear rim a couple of days ago, and let sit to seal up. All seemed fine so I inflated to 55psi to go for a quick run to the local shops today. Not 200 meters down the road the tire blew completely off the rim – both beads totally off. This was supposed to be my race tire for Kielder, so now not sure if I can trust it. A few questions for the brains of STW:

1) Anyone ever have this happen with Schwalbe tires? This is probably my fourth set – I've never had problems, but admittedly I'm not using the UST versions – have I just been lucky to date?

2) With such a massive blowout should I trust the tires, or relegate to with-tubes use only? I'm concerned that the beads may have been loose to begin with, or else may have been stretched by the blowout. 

3) or should I put this down to bad luck, refit the tire, go for a bedding in ride this weekend, don't pump it up to 55psi again, and just get on with it?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I use Schwalbe all the time, Racing Ralph mainly. On UST rims, though (XM819) never had a tyre come off the rim except when riding one flat.

The pressure you state is well high, was that just for seating the bead and you reduced it to ride?

Dougal
    Free Member

55psi? You must weight about 400lbs, right?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    krixmeister

55psi for the road. I commute to work on the bike as well, and other than burning through the Schwalbes every few months, have had no probs with that pressure before. 28psi for offroad for me, btw. Admittedly 55 is high, but as mentioned haven't had problems till now.

molgrips
    Free Member

What you should do is try again with 35psi in the tyres instead.

I think that with Stans tubeless system, you can't run as high pressures as you would with tubes. But why would you want 55psi?

Get a spare set of wheels for £90 and fit slicks – you'll save money in the end since the slicks will last you several years and your mtb tyres will also last a lot longer.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I've had a Conti tyre blow off a Flow in the past, in the workshop, just after sealing it up. I put a good 50psi in to check for any leaks and it went BANG and almost bloody deafened me. After that I trimmed the sealing tape so the tyre bead sat down further into the rim bed and it was fine.

But std Schwalbe tyres are easier to get on than the UST versions, suggesting a bigger bead diameter.

When I run my std Schwalbe tyres as tubeless (on the front) I use a ghetto rimstrip, which helps them seal better and reduces the risk of them blowing off… you could try this if you have a 20" bmx tube handy.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Max PSI for Stans Flow rims is 39psi. It's printed on the rim you can't miss it.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I've been running UST Raplhs for a while now on both 355rims and 819's. Bought some 'as new' ones of the 'bay the other day and they blew off the rim repeatedly with about 40psi in them. Did get as far as wheels back on bike! Sent them back as walls looked miss-shaped. Chap swore blind he'd had them on his crossmax no probs.
    Anyway gave up on 2nd's and got more new one from Merlin (excellent service again) and had no probs.
    Not the faintest idea what was wrong with the 'bay one.

scaredypants

I've had a misshapen carcass on a UST NN – blew off well below 40psi

(the other one I got was ripped to bits by some flinty gravel)

I won't be buying more schwalbes for a long while

krixmeister

Hi all-

Thanks for the tips everyone. GeordiePaul – you're correct, max PSI is in fact printed on the rims, I just checked, but a dimwit like me can definitely miss it! For the record, my Flow's actually have different max PSI than yours printed on them – I can't recall, but something like 60 PSI for 1.0 tires, 55 PSI for 1.5, and 45 PSI for 2.2s. Now I know!
    In any case, have refitted the tire, pumped to 35 PSI for bedding in, will let a little out and go for a ride down the road tonight to check it out.
    Thanks again for all the info, and fingers crossed this was a one-off for me!

–Kristan

krixmeister

One more thing I forgot to add… The blowout also sprayed Stans goo all over my legs. I thought a quick toweling down last night would suffice – it didn't. My recommendation to anyone else this ever happens to is to shower immediately, or spend the next day as I have had to do picking latex out of your leg hairs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stans/Schwalbe blowout?’ is closed to new replies.