Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stan's/Nobby Nic – getting a damaged tyre to seal
  • honourablegeorge

Trying to install an old, damaged tyre on a new rim. Couple of holes in the tyre where the rum got dinged, the sealant is closing them up as far as about 15PSI, but beyond that, air (and what must be a fairly toxic cloud of fluid) is spraying out. Holes seem small, but there are a few of them.

I’m thinking I’ll leave it sit overnight at 15psi, and then gradually try to increase it tomorrow – any other tips? Am I just wasting my time?

lucien

Wait and let the holes seal and then have anyother go…..my experience of Stans Milk is it never seals properly in any case – despite the youtube vids

honourablegeorge

Well, I’m rapidly running out of Stan’s fluid – have refilled the tyre three times now.. Have a bottle of Caffe Latex to try if it doesn’t work.

nmdbase
    Free Member

I got a small tear in the sidewall of a nobby nic last week and it wouldn’t seal up. You can patch it from the inside.

emac65
    Free Member

It seals but nothing like the size of the holes they make out it will …..

gee
    Free Member

Puncture patches on the inside.

honourablegeorge

gee – Member
    Puncture patches on the inside.

Yeah, I have a few around, I think. Was kind of hoping to get away without removing the tyre, spilling more fluid, etc, etc.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Give up why your ahead. I tried to seal mine and spent ages and then gave up as every time I tried to ride it just deflated

superfli
    Free Member

I gave up and used an inner tube 🙂
    Stans sealed overnight, still good pressure in the morning. Road 5yds down rd and it pished out. Fortunately with 2 bikes and same tyres on each, but 1 with inners, I can usually just swap for a good/non holed tyre.

honourablegeorge

Seems all good for now. Sod it, if it doesn’t seal, maybe those UST Rubber Queens I’ve been thinking about might find their way to the Xmas list

honourablegeorge

Bollocks. It’s a little tear just at the bead that’s causing the problem. And it seems to be unsealable – it will close up, but any pressure on the tyre opens it again.

oldnpastit

Can you sew it up?

aracer
    Free Member

Depends how much you care about the tyre. As oldnpastit suggests, a bit of sewing should generally do the trick and seal, or if there’s a bit of tyre missing then a patch made out of old tyre material (I have old roadie tubs I cut up for this which I carry when racing, though never had to use one).

honourablegeorge

It’s not that it’s a massive hole, but seems to be the position of it that’s causing the grief, it’s right where bead meets rim – seals up to about 15 PSI, above that fluid just jets out of it like mad. Sewing might help, yeah. Might give that a shot.

honourablegeorge

Right. Stitched, and holding pressure at 20 PSI

Every fibre of me is itching to pump it up to 50. Will wait until morning though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stan's/Nobby Nic – getting a damaged tyre to seal’ is closed to new replies.