Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stans ZTR tubeless, seating tyre bead, what obvious thing am i missing here?
  • smiff
    Free Member

ok so i have:

ZTR Flow
    Maxxis tyres (currently Aspen 2.1 kevlar which are a pretty good shape though used)

i hear you should be able to seat with a track pump (i have a good track pump, leyzeene high volume half price from cyclesurgery cheers) but no can do without the bead being in.

i’ve run ghetto tubeless before so i know roughly what i’m doing but these ZTR rims have a much better/different bead socket and of course no rubber strip (the yellow tape is in).

how do i get the tyre into the socket before inflating it…. so i can inflate it?
    i ran with tubes today (and got 2 flats), anyway this seats tyre perfectly, then i remove the tube, which means unseating one side completely. other side is locked in nicely but all air escapes from side i removed tube through. now what? had some crazy ideas like cutting the inner tube and pulling out one place :p (that would not work either cos you need to unseat whole side to get enough slack to do anything).

it might be strap around tyre and compressor tomorrow unless anyone has better idea.. really wanted to do this with just track pump and ideally be able to redo it when out on trail. must be some trick i’m missing because this was easy on xc717s ghetto.

edit: i think gist of my problem is i’m running narrow tyres on wide rims, before it was wide tyres on narrow rims so the bead naturally filled the space better. don’t ask why i want to run 2.1s on flows, i just do :p

bigrich

you put the beads into the central channel of the rim. couple of toots on a track pump and they pop out to the rim.

Clobber
    Free Member

Fairy liquid on the bead, some tyres need a compressor, pop down to your local garage for a bit more puff…

vala
    Free Member

To get my new single ply high rollers onto my flows I had to take them to a car tyre garage who used there compressor.

bigrich

[video]http://vimeo.com/34667233[/video]

nicholas_yiu

Make sure you take the valve core out when seating the bead. I found that made it much easier. Once it’s seated, put it back in and it will pump up fine.

It took me 5 mins on Friday doing mine.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Valve core out, soapy water all round the tyre and pump furiously, did mine on Thursday on flows with conti tyres though .

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Try moving the tyre round the rim and see if that helps seal the bead.
    The other month I fitted Rocket Ron’s on crest rims,first time I’d fitted tubeless,used my track pump.First tyre inflated no problem 2nd tyre didn’t want to inflate so I reseated the bead & it inflated no problem.
    HTH

smiff
    Free Member

alright thanks guys, soapy water and compressor it is then… wondered if there was some technique to getting the tyre into the socket (or touching the rim edge at least) whilst flat!? frustrating catch22 eh.
    there’s a huge gap around one bead, no amount of track pumping would do this, at least with compressor i have time to try to push it over.

smiff
    Free Member

update: Advantage 2.1 60tpi went straight up using a track pump, after seating one bead with inner tube. totally dry, but hot in the sun.
    trying to use an Exc Aspen was bad idea anyway, too delicate. time to buy yet another new tyre! :/
    at least i know it’s possible i wasn’t just being thick.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

My maxxis go up with track pump every time. As said above they sit in the centre of the rim. Give the tyre abut of a bash with hand should do it. Check around the valve that can be an area not seated. Are you using UST tyres? Don’t think aspens are UST. That will be the problem.

smiff
    Free Member

no i never use UST tyres (shouldn’t have to with Stans right?)
    basically the flow is much wider rim than i’m used to, so if the tyre naturally has a narrow bead, you’re pretty much screwed? solution: another tyre. even the same size maxxis can come up different, or maybe Aspen and Advantage use different carcass. Advantage isn’t really what i wanted in this weather..

might order a cheaper 60tpi Aspen and hope that works.. can anyone conform if the 2.1 aspen 60tpi uses a reasonably thick carcass like the Advantage or is it also paper thin and a tubeless disaster like my Exc Aspen?

edit: wire Aspen is 12.59 here, might be worth a punt!
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Maxxis-Aspen-Off-Road-Mountain-Bike-Tyre_40961.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

UST have thicker walls and tighter fitting etc. Yeah stans helps but in this case I think its your tyre. As I said I have no problems getting them to fit even without stans etc using track pump. I have used HRII non UST. So brand new non UST tyres maybe fit but why waste money trying to make it happen? Try HR or advantage UST works fine for me and saves the faff.

SBrock
    Free Member

Did you leave a tube in at 40psi overnight

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I think his problem is that he cant get it up. Oh errr

smiff
    Free Member

not using UST thanks, heavy AND expensive!
    i think some tyres simply aren’t wide enough to fill a Flow to get the inflation going (This is not the size printed on the tyre, it’s the shape of the carcass so how far beads lie apart). you can seat one side with a tube, but there’s no way to do both that i can see – i was looking for trick to do this, other than band around the tyre which might work in some cases not mine, there isn’t really any way, so you need a different tyre (or narrower rim).
    surprised i’d never heard of this problem before!
    might just use the Advantage 2.1 60tpi which works, at least that’ll be ok for all conditions…

Superficial
    Free Member

Make a ghetto tubeless inflator for 9p. I tried all the tricks trying to seat a (very old, baggy) high roller on my Flow rims to no avail. Using the ghetto inflator method, they went up first time.

There are loads of threads on the subject, but basically single ply 2.35 Maxxis tyres work fine if you can get them to seat properly. I’m sure UST tyres are foolproof, but they’re a) more expensive, b) heavier, c) unnecessary.

smiff
    Free Member

what’s a ghetto inflator? if you mean using a rim strim, that might work by making rim narrower, but want to use the Stans system as it was intended :p

Superficial
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

Part of your problem is trying to inflate the tyre whilst one bead is seated. You’ve run the tyre with a tube which is good preparation (gets rid of any kinks where the tyre has been folded) so put both beads in the centre well of the wheel, hang the wheel off something so the tyre isn’t on the floor taking the weight of the wheel, and get pumping.

I normally find a do 5 minutes of frantic pumping, then I’ll give up and go and raid the fridge for 10, then when I go back to the tyre it’ll go up almost immediately. I almost plan for it now 🙂

Make sure you are using the correct valves with the wedge shaped rubber seal, the UST type with the flat rubber bit are too wide and stop the tyre seating (in the narrower Flow rims anyway)

smiff
    Free Member

ghetto inflator is very clever but even a compressor wouldn’t inflate with that big a gap.
    hadn’t though seating one bead was making things harder hmmmm.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Hard work until you eventually sift through all the varied and sometimes conflicting/contradictory methods and find what works for you. For me this is the pain free easy method:

NON UST: Seat one bead using tube (no need to leave overnight), hang tyre, straight fairy liquid on non seated side (more viscous, better fluid tension for temp seal)……my non ust 2.35 maxxis SP minion F and advantage 2.1 R go up first time with a quick burst of track pump core out…..non of this 5 minutes frantic malarky!

LUSTs even easier…just seat centrally, bounce tyre working around circumference to seat out towards beads, hang and pops on first go. I don’t bother with core out as not necessary. Many frustrated attempts to come up with the pain free solution after much forum trawling, but now swap tyres regularly. Now if only they’d make a maxxis minion SP 2.35 LUST !

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stans ZTR tubeless, seating tyre bead, what obvious thing am i missing here?’ is closed to new replies.